Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

If you want a 1 bed shitshow. For sure. lol

Not really, there's always fine two bed terraces available for about that. If you want better, pay for it yourself. Why should a government who is apparently broke give thousands of pounds away to someone who can afford a plush first house? Stinks of giving more advantages to rich kids.

Edited by Rogstanley

Just now, Rogstanley said:

Not really, there's always fine two bed terraces available for about that. If you want better, pay for it yourself. Why should a government who is apparently broke give thousands of pounds away to someone who can afford a plush first house? Stinks of giving more advantages to rich kids.

And what if a 2 bed terrace isn't big enough for your plans? 

In any case, they aren't giving money to rich kids, they are simply stopping taking it away. Why the government should get a chunk of cash from me for getting on the housing ladder, on top of the tax the council takes is beyond me tbh. Simply punishing those that are successful, not everyone has a house handed to them, some have to earn it. :mellow:

6 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

No. no there aren't.  You clearly know very little of the housing market anywhere in the southeast, or indeed much of the SouthWest.  And in this day and age, many people aren't buying houses until they are about to start or have a family, so often two bedrooms isn't enough.  FYI I sold my two bed semi for £400k two years ago in a not terribly posh part of Surrey, so I have plenty of experience of house  prices in the South East.  I am also not rich by a long a shot, and have plenty of friends who only managed to buy in their late 30s.

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

And what if a 2 bed terrace isn't big enough for your plans? 

In any case, they aren't giving money to rich kids, they are simply stopping taking it away. Why the government should get a chunk of cash from me for getting on the housing ladder, on top of the tax the council takes is beyond me tbh. Simply punishing those that are successful, not everyone has a house handed to them, some have to earn it. :mellow:

If you can't afford to facilitate your plans then you'll have to have a rethink, won't you. I can't say I plan to live in a mansion and then expect the government to help me get there just because it's my plan.

Edited by Rogstanley

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

No. no there aren't.  You clearly know very little of the housing market anywhere in the southeast, or indeed much of the SouthWest.  And in this day and age, many people aren't buying houses until they are about to start or have a family, so often two bedrooms isn't enough.  FYI I sold my two bed semi for £400k two years ago in a not terribly posh part of Surrey, so I have plenty of experience of house  prices in the South East.  I am also not rich by a long a shot, and have plenty of friends who only managed to buy in their late 30s.

South East is a different world.

Bristol is expensive too as a spill over from the south east but there is plenty of decent value houses within an hour of Bristol.

I'm pretty confident that if you randomly selected a part of the country outside the south east I could find you a two bed for £130k within an hours drive, ie within a reasonable commute 

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

If you can't afford to facilitate your plans then you'll have to have a rethink, won't you. I can say I plan to live in a mansion and then expect the government to help me get there just because it's my plan.

The government aren't helping, they are simply not taking away. It's not hard to understand. The people doing well already pay more in taxes, why should we have to pay again just because we can afford a house. It's daft, and I'm very glad that scrapped it, even though it doesn't affect me. 

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

South East is a different world.

Bristol is expensive too as a spill over from the south east but there is plenty of decent value houses within an hour of Bristol.

I'm pretty confident that if you randomly selected a part of the country outside the south east I could find you a two bed for £130k within an hours drive, ie within a reasonable commute 

The South East and London has 17m people, roughly a quarter of the population and is comfortably the most productive area of the country. It makes absolute sense to try and help people get on the property ladder here (not that this policy will). 

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The government aren't helping, they are simply not taking away. It's not hard to understand. The people doing well already pay more in taxes, why should we have to pay again just because we can afford a house. It's daft, and I'm very glad that scrapped it, even though it doesn't affect me. 

You get taxed on all sorts of things. You'll still get taxed stamp duty if you're not a first time buyer. The government itself has pitched this as 'help' for first time buyers. Your point of view is understood, but it's a bit odd.

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The South East and London has 17m people, roughly a quarter of the population and is comfortably the most productive area of the country. It makes absolute sense to try and help people get on the property ladder here (not that this policy will). 

Seems like plastering over the cracks to me. Surely it's better to look at why property is unaffordable in the first place and address those issues.

Edited by Rogstanley

10 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The only bit of this I'm bothered about is the productivity gap. The fact is that money is neededin the rest of the country to be competitive. It's that old argument about far more being spent per capita in London because it raises the taxes. If the rest of the city had better infrastructure spending they might be able to get a slice of the pie. In turn, population growth might not all be focused on one corner of the country.

33 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

They're trying to, but it's not as simple as yelling "build more houses!" 

I know, there's loads of things they can do besides build more houses: promote wage growth, improve transport infrastructure so people can live 'further out', invest in digital infrastructure to enable better home working so people can live wherever, encourage businesses to spread wider geographically and so on. 

Doesn't seem like they're really committed to doing any of those things though. They're just putting a plaster on it and hoping the fundamental problems go away on their own. Or, more likely, they don't really care because most of their voters are already home owners.

Edited by Rogstanley

3 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Does anyone know the definition of 'first time buyers' in this scheme?

Is it someone who has never owned a property or someone who does not currently own a property?

This one.

I had a client at work ask if it applied to them because they don't own any property in the UK; she does however own property in Rochester and Venice. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Seems like plastering over the cracks to me. Surely it's better to look at why property is unaffordable in the first place and address those issues.

No doubt and I've talked about that plenty of times on here and how deficient we've been in this respect for many a year. This policy won't help anyone but people going through now, giving them a bit of change to buy furniture, this time next year it will be ineffective. Similarly another bout of Help to Buy is absolutely bonkers. They've acknowledged a housing crisis and done bugger all about it so far, Javid's initial white paper seems to have been long forgotten which is a shame because it wasn't bad. I know Hammond said Javid was doing some other stuff but it will likely never really happen. 

2 hours ago, toddybad said:

The only bit of this I'm bothered about is the productivity gap. The fact is that money is neededin the rest of the country to be competitive. It's that old argument about far more being spent per capita in London because it raises the taxes. If the rest of the city had better infrastructure spending they might be able to get a slice of the pie. In turn, population growth might not all be focused on one corner of the country.

Again I agree, and have never said anything different and I outlined things I might do previously. But it's chicken and egg, you need people in productive places now but it'd be useful to make other areas more productive so people don't end up all in one place. It's going to be hard no matter what the government do to disrupt London's gravitational pull.

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What about a joint mortgage application where one person has owned but the other hasn’t?

I would presume you wouldn't qualify.

On a separate question, I bought a house around 2 years ago and used help to buy. At the time we only needed a 5% additional deposit for the property but the mortgage advisor recommended we take the full 25% which made sense to me as it would save in interest. The question i have asked the help to buy people a few times which has never been answered is if i pay it back bang on the 5 years will i only pay back the amount borrowed with no interest or will i pay 25% of what the house is worth at the time.

I suspect it is the later and if it is i will go to the ombudsman based on the advisors advice.