Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Won't be long before all the over harsh criticism is whitewashed as col is telling everyone how he always rated him and trying to convince us all he an all knowing football visionary.

Classic FT. One good game and the 'I told you so's' are back out in force. Facecloth and of course, King Fox being the perfect examples.

Shame, as I'd said credit where credit's due. 

#theforumisfullofkids.com

Edited by Col city fan
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Classic FT. One good game and the 'I told you so's' are back out in force. Facecloth and of course, King Fox being the perfect examples.

Shame, as I'd said credit where credit's due. 

#theforumisfullofkids.com

I'm not saying I told you so, I'm saying it won't be long before you are, which you will because you have a history or changing your tune on things but acting like that's always been the way you'd felt about it.

Classic Col lol

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vanity said:

Sure, and that should be remembered, but his defending was still noticeably improved. His problem has historically been his positioning, he has played RB too narrowly in the past, leading many of us to point out he is naturally more a CB than a RB. But now that he is playing wider, and growing more comfortable trusting his CBs, his play is improving quite a bit. I know it is just Leeds, and yes, our lads were bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than their lads, and we need to see him do it against a better-level squad, but his improvement in the finer details is still laudable I think, qnd worth acknowledging on a board that loves to tear these guys down.

Our tactics under CR and CS were to play with narrow full backs and leave space out wide and force them to cross onto Huth's big square head. Rather than let them cut inside and carry the ball into the box.

18 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

As much as I understand the frustration with regards to Simmo's attacking prowess, he's been absolutely brilliant for us and is absolutely not a shower of shite.

Anyway, great game from Amartey, very impressive.

Simpson is terrible.... I don’t know where this idea of him being a defensive guru has come from... one thing you get taught as a kid, don’t let the cross in... yet he always, always allows his man to get the cross in. He may be okay at standing up and not letting people past him, but he just allows them to whip a cross in anyway. Never have rated him and never will... he’s shit.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leamington Fox said:

Forget "I told you so's", it was just an absolutely cracking performance from Amartey.  It's clear that the current and previous regimes have seen something in him.  It's going to be hard for him to get a regular run in the team, unless Simpson gets injured.  I'd rather see him in defence than midfield.

Yep. Just hope the next regime gives him a chance as well. 

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yep. Just hope the next regime gives him a chance as well. 

Simpson will be back in for the league match at the weekend. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case. Amartey was great last night @Facecloth take note! lol

But playing in a cup game against a Leeds side currently on the slide is not the same as playing a league game in the Prem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

The question is would he be better at RWB than Albrighton?

Dragovic Maguire Morgan

Big Dan ----------------Chilwell

Iborra Ndidi

Mahrez     Nacho    Vardy

Always liked the idea of him as a wing back ever since I saw his run for Copenhagen on YouTube.  Unsure what his crossing is like though.  Still think him, Dragovic & Maguire could go on to form a great threesome...

2 hours ago, Callabinho said:

Simpson is terrible.... I don’t know where this idea of him being a defensive guru has come from... one thing you get taught as a kid, don’t let the cross in... yet he always, always allows his man to get the cross in. He may be okay at standing up and not letting people past him, but he just allows them to whip a cross in anyway. Never have rated him and never will... he’s shit.

I’m fairly sure he’s being asked to play a game more complex than ‘don’t let the cross in.’ Like @Captain... said previously, with our big lumbering centre halves (Morgan and Huth), who are good in the air, it’s preferable to allow the winger out wide and away from the central channel. In fact, this is taught at most levels of football above the kids amateur game and Sunday League. 

I understand he still allows the cross but to block crosses a defender has to commit much like a tackle/challenge. Standing up and not diving in is better than getting skinned and letting the winger to cut into the box. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Our tactics under CR and CS were to play with narrow full backs and leave space out wide and force them to cross onto Huth's big square head. Rather than let them cut inside and carry the ball into the box.

Your point doesn't strike me as inconsistent with mine, as Amartey seemed to distort this strategy with excessively conservative inside positioning. My observation has been his past positioning -- including earlier this season, without Huth -- was well narrower than Danny Simpson, not to mention his counterpart at LB on the field. In the past, this asymmetry in defending has allowed far more space on the RW for wings seeking space for crosses than we allow on the LW, and I have seen him exhorted to get wider while on the field by teammates. Anecdotally, this has always struck me a lack of comfort and experience playing at RB -- almost like he was playing RCB, not RB. IDK if Uganda plays 3-at-the-back, or perhaps Copenhagen, or if it was just his own personal idiosyncracy, but it is very difficult to me to attribute this to a function of the defense unless he wasn't trusted and received different instructions from Simpson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vanity said:

Your point doesn't strike me as inconsistent with mine, as Amartey seemed to distort this strategy with excessively conservative inside positioning. My observation has been his past positioning -- including earlier this season, without Huth -- was well narrower than Danny Simpson, not to mention his counterpart at LB on the field. In the past, this asymmetry in defending has allowed far more space on the RW for wings seeking space for crosses than we allow on the LW, and I have seen him exhorted to get wider while on the field by teammates. Anecdotally, this has always struck me a lack of comfort and experience playing at RB -- almost like he was playing RCB, not RB. IDK if Uganda plays 3-at-the-back, or perhaps Copenhagen, or if it was just his own personal idiosyncracy, but it is very difficult to me to attribute this to a function of the defense unless he wasn't trusted and received different instructions from Simpson.

Fair points, but I would say he is being instructed to play narrower than normal and overcompensates because he is trying to follow instructions that aren't natural to him. As only a part time RB anyway he won't have the instincts for the position that Simpson has, who has had to train himself to play narrower over a few seasons rather than Amartey who has had to learn a position he isn't used to playing in an unfamiliar way with only a few games here and there in the first team. As such I find the criticism of the player harsh, but I understand your point of view.

It also probably helped to have Albrighton in front of him for most of the game and not Mahrez.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

The question is would he be better at RWB than Albrighton?

Dragovic Maguire Morgan

Big Dan ----------------Chilwell

Iborra Ndidi

Mahrez     Nacho    Vardy

there is no way in a million years can Morgan play either side of a 3... doesn't have any technical ability at all and it is important in that position that they must be comfortable dropping out wide when playing in a 3.. IF anything he would have to play centre of a 3.  With Amartey seeming to be stuck stuck between a full back and centreback id experiment him right of a 3. Amartey - Maguire - Dragovic

Edited by les-tah

3 minutes ago, les-tah said:

there is no way in a million years can Morgan play either side of a 3... doesn't have any technical ability at all and it is important in that position that they must be comfortable dropping out wide when playing in a 3.. IF anything he would have to play centre of a 3.  With Amartey seeming to be stuck stuck between a full back and centreback id experiment him right of a 3. Amartey - Maguire - Dragovic

Morgan and Drago would play as a more standard CB Maguire would be the sweeper/librero carrying the ball out our wing backs would have more defensive responsibilities than maybe wing backs for other teams. Morgan isn't as immobile or poor on the ball as people think and his job would be to just get the ball give it to Maguire or the wing back.

There are many ways to play 3 at the back.

3 hours ago, vanity said:

Christ! You need a PhD to read this...

lol

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

Fair points, but I would say he is being instructed to play narrower than normal and overcompensates because he is trying to follow instructions that aren't natural to him. As only a part time RB anyway he won't have the instincts for the position that Simpson has, who has had to train himself to play narrower over a few seasons rather than Amartey who has had to learn a position he isn't used to playing in an unfamiliar way with only a few games here and there in the first team. As such I find the criticism of the player harsh, but I understand your point of view.

Hmm. I think I will have to check my tone then, as I am delighted with Amartey's performance vs. Leeds, and wasn't trying to be harsh so much as to note how far he looks to have come since earlier this season. So I must've said that in a way that came across poorly, and obv I leave room for me simply being a less savvy analyst than some others.