Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

38 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I think the problem with Amartey is that wherever he plays his positioning is poor, and that's because he hasn't nailed on a proper position, players spend years learning a position and fine tuning their game, as a utility player he's never fine tuned himself to any position.

Hence why it's worth sticking with him.

Let him learn and don't write him off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

Hence why it's worth sticking with him.

Let him learn and don't write him off.

Yeah but that's reliant on management saying to him right you're playing CB, get learning. If they did that I think we'd see results, but in 3 pre season games he's already played 2 different positions so...

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

He's clearly not a right back, and there's 4 players better than him in CM.... so unless he's going to be our 4/5th CB I see zero point in keeping him here this season. I'd loan him out and get him playing somewhere as a CB as mentioned above. 

• Like 1

I think Shakespeare etc should make him concentrate on one position, so he can focus on both his qualities and weaknesses combined.

Using him as a make-shift somewhere as cover isn't proving effective enough.

Amartey is currently a Football Manager lie :P - he always ends up a damn fine central midfielder in my games at some big European club like AC Milan.

Despite looking alright for Ghana at centre back he's always going to be a centre mid option for me (FM scouting) as he can't seem to cross that over into the Premier League, different standards of play and all that.

I really want Daniel to come good, but it just looks a long way off at the moment...and with N'Didi looking the player we wanted him to be i think he's losing his opportunity now to be anything more than a square peg in a round hole here.

The lad's not going to improve unless we give him a position. If we refuse to stick to a role then we should sell him, for his sake and ours. He's a centre half imo. Give him that position and loan him out.

Just now, gurru991 said:

i thought he looked decent against Luton. I can see him being used in a three CB set-up. At 22 he has promise.

Promise is ok, but we've signed him to compete to get in the first-team* - if he's 'one for the future', he would have been sent to the development team - so don't really see him as being a 'trainee' as such.

*Which he's somewhat failed to do over last season, due to his inconsistencies.

Amartey is a bit of a mystery for me. I don't think anyone knows his best position - including himself. Last season, he would have a brilliant game at centre mid backed up by a truly woeful one.

One thing I do know though, judging from pre-season, he is certainly not a right-back. ?

28 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Promise is ok, but we've signed him to compete to get in the first-team* - if he's 'one for the future', he would have been sent to the development team - so don't really see him as being a 'trainee' as such.

*Which he's somewhat failed to do over last season, due to his inconsistencies.

Demari Gray & Ben Chilwell are ones for the future but that doesn't mean they have to play for the development squad. When I say he has promise I mean that he could be very good. You have to play at the top level to learn how  to play at the top level. Under 23 games don't prepare you for Liverpool or Chelsea.

• 3 weeks later...

Seem to be a lot of people slagging him in the transfer section.

He's fast, skillful and strong and still very young.

He hasn't been given a decent run in the team apart from before AFCON when he played very well in midfield. Shakey tried too much to make him the RB which we need but that just isn't his position. CB or CM is where he needs to be.

I think he's a must keep.

He can be a central figure for this team in a couple of years as the youth comes through. Chilwell, Gray, Iheanacho, Maguire, Ndidi.

I just think that Amartey has scores of potential and is so young in footballing terms but is cursed with the utility player label and needs nurture and development with an identity wherever that may be rather than wages to keep him as a substitute for the rest of his playing career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

He hasn't been given a decent run in the team apart from before AFCON when he played very well in midfield. Shakey tried too much to make him the RB which we need but that just isn't his position. CB or CM is where he needs to be.

He can be a central figure for this team in a couple of years as the youth comes through. Chilwell, Gray, Iheanacho, Maguire, Ndidi.

I agree totally the abuse he gets like Mendy is way over the top.

That said who do you suggest for the morons scape goat?

Joey Barton Shakey get it done.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FIF said:

He is none of those things. Physically he should be a beast but he gets shrugged off the ball and really do you see him steaming around. As for skillful :blink:, I'll have some of what you're on FIF.

It's fine saying he's young and I do feel sorry for him that he's not being given a chance to settle on one position but he is a million miles away from being a centre midfielder capable at this level. Hasn't been played at centre back because he'd get bullied and at right back, he looks like a square peg in a round hole.

Needs a loan somewhere for sure.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

He is none of those things. Physically he should be a beast but he gets shrugged off the ball and really do you see him steaming around. As for skillful :blink:, I'll have some of what you're on FIF.

It's fine saying he's young and I do feel sorry for him that he's not being given a chance to settle on one position but he is a million miles away from being a centre midfielder capable at this level. Hasn't been played at centre back because he'd get bullied and at right back, he looks like a square peg in a round hole.

Needs a loan somewhere for sure.

Good, sensible post. I agree with all of it.

Fast, skillful and strong? I genuinely have no idea what players people are watching.

Skillfull? :o

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FIF said:

When have you seen those abilities on display?

He's been a disappointment because I can't really see what exactly he is supposed to offer. He doesn't look a goal threat, he doesn't win the ball back, he doesn't create, he doesn't track runners. I struggle to see what he's actually supposed to bring to the team. 

He may come good, I'd love to be proved wrong, but right now he's behind Ndidi, James, Iborra, Drinkwater, King (and maybe Mendy when fit) in the CM pecking order imo.

Edited by DennisNedry

Skillful is not the right word for it, but he's pretty good on the ball for a centre back. He is definitely pretty quick, and he is a good athlete. You can definitely see that he has some of the qualities you would want in a good centre back. He's definitely not the finished article, but there is certainly potential for him to be a good player, and over time, with the right coaching, and maybe a loan spell for regular match time, he may achieve it. I don't understand the level of vitriol the guy gets, he was a pretty cheap signing (cost us less money than that fat old berk of a linesman who disallowed the Vardy goal vs Bournemouth at the last game of last season), if he'd come out of our academy I'm sure people would give him a lot more leeway.

Last season was definitely a double edged sword for him - the complete balls up of the summer transfer window that left us with only 3 fit CMs was absolutely inexcusable - the challenge of building a squad is to get players of the right quality, but we didn't even manage to get the right quantity of players, which is pathetic. The games he got were good for his development, and he did seem to be improving before the AFCON came to disrupt everything. The fact we were down to only 2 CMs, him and King, before January, with a Champions League campaign to deal with, left us exposed to the extent we couldn't even change formation to be more defensively solid, because we had ran out of players.

I'd say he's worth keeping - he's always a handy player to have for the bench, as a player who can cover multiple positions on the bench gives the manager the freedom to select more attacking options with his remaining 6 sub places. If anything, keeping him around at least guarantees we don't end up in the same scenario as last season, where we ran out of CMs, or the end of the season where we ran out of centre backs.

• Like 2