Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Liverpool post match 3-1

Just now, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but our opinions remain poles apart.

I somewhat agree that there has been a lack of effort but that lack of effort has been born out of frustration and a lack of belief in what Ranieri was asking them to do in the end. 

If you lose faith in a senior at work, it's only natural to drop effort levels - I know I have in the past. Hell, I've quit jobs because of differences of opinions with my seniors - I didn't share their vision so I found a new project where I felt I was on the same level as the management again. 

It's really, REALLY basic psychology - you don't need a degree to understand it. I'm sure you can think of an example in your lifetime where you felt a superior was on a totally different wavelength and it affected your own performance and your opinion of them. I honestly don't believe there are many people who haven't experienced it in one capacity or another.

To just suggest that these players said '**** Ranieri - let's just play at 20% from now on - Vardy, if you do get a chance to shoot, try not to, or maybe just try to miss instead' - well, that's just silly. 

Just now, daz*dsb said:

I somewhat agree that there has been a lack of effort but that lack of effort has been born out of frustration and a lack of belief in what Ranieri was asking them to do in the end. 

If you lose faith in a senior at work, it's only natural to drop effort levels - I know I have in the past. Hell, I've quit jobs because of differences of opinions with my seniors - I didn't share their vision so I found a new project where I felt I was on the same level as the management again. 

It's really, REALLY basic psychology - you don't need a degree to understand it. I'm sure you can think of an example in your lifetime where you felt a superior was on a totally different wavelength and it affected your own performance and your opinion of them. I honestly don't believe there are many people who haven't experienced it in one capacity or another.

To just suggest that these players said '**** Ranieri - let's just play at 20% from now on - Vardy, if you do get a chance to shoot, try not to, or maybe just try to miss instead' - well, that's just silly. 

Great analogy 

Have I got over-excited in awarding marks of 8/9/10 to some of our players last night or were we really that good? :D

I actually woke during the night reflecting on what happened and clenching my fist with the joy of it.

Was it real? Could any transformation have been so dramatic?

God, the world seems so much better when we win - and win in style.  

Shaky til the end of the season at least - get it done and end all the needless speculation! 

I understand in the summer I think we will need a more modern day right back (unless we plan on using Amartey) but a word on Danny Simpson, hard to find any positives about the clusterfvck of the defence this season but it's like he's been hung out to dry by the other back 3. Week in week out he gets his head down and goes about doing his job and yes does it very basically but that's what we have been lacking.

Again last night put himself in the right position by tucking in and helping Huth and Wes out of a couple of dangerous situations and can see it means the world to him playing for us by his reactions when we win/lose, score/concede.

Was the first to admit I didn't want him here and I know he has limited capabilities but just wanted to give him a mention as I know he takes plenty on here.

Good point by someone about the subs.We needed the extra midfielder a few minutes earlier as they were working the ball down the sides really quickly and easily for about 15 minutes basically our tiredness.

The subs were correct just maybe a few minutes late.

Noticed Mahrez spent a lot of time right out on the touchlines(under orders)but then tucked back in quick when we lost the ball.Plenty of communication with Shaky during the game as well

Guest CityFan 06

A performance reminiscent of last season. Drive and togetherness, excellent win. Albrighton I thought was brilliant and MOTM, Ndidi a showing of real class again. It was a very promising team performance overall. Last night showed if we give service to Vardy he will score goals. Drinkwater's strike was top draw. I do tend to notice the top 6 teams playing higher lines against us, hence why we flourish. Nevertheless, a top display last night. 

The test now will be whether we can follow this up on Saturday, we've been in a similar situation before and not pushed on. I've said this season we've lacked intensity on & off the ball, as well as failing to do the fundamental basis which served us so well last season; Shakespeare has installed both judging on yesterday's game.

What a transformation that was! I confess to being skeptical about the lineup when it was announced, but the difference was obvious from kickoff. Totally different mindset from everyone, Liverpool didn't seem to know what hit them. My only concern was whether they'd last the full 90, and they did have to hang on a bit towards the end.

Standouts were Ndidi, Vardy, Albrighton, but everyone seemed to be putting in vastly more effort with the possible exception of Mahrez, though even he managed some moments of magic, particularly during the build up to Vardy's second.

I liked the tribute to Ranieri once I realised what that going on, and can't believe it was implicated in the Liverpool goal, though the timing was unfortunate. Having said that I don't buy into the theory that the players were deliberately playing poorly or even consciously not putting in the effort. Clearly something about what Ranieri was asking them to simply didn't resonate and made it hard for them to play in the committed fashion that they did yesterday.

I hope this time the change is real and not another false dawn.

IF this is the turn in form we've been hoping for and we start putting in more consistently positive performances I'm willing to go give him a chance to prove himself. The whole team have been shite up to now, no help to the tactics but now we're playing the high press I'm willing to see his impact in a formation that works for the team, he could look worth the price tag come the end of the season. 

We started like a train, pinning them in their corner. Vardy went through mane and set the tone. 

I assume they won the toss and gave us the kick off. 

What if if they had taken the kick off and played keep ball for 5 minutes. Would we have been able to build the same early momentum and tempo  if it had been a slow start to the game ??

back to ozleicester's sliding doors !!

teams that give us the kick off have not done their home work 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We started like a train, pinning them in their corner. Vardy went through mane and set the tone. 

What if if they had taken the kick off and played keep ball for 5 minutes. Would we have been able to build the same early momentum and tempo  if it had been a slow start to the game ??

TBF we normally just boot it out of play from kickoff.

Edit: While watching the match my Dad kept saying that it looked like they'd suddenly woken up.

It's as if they've been distracted up to now and suddenly have focus, like an orchestra completing their tune up suddenly playing together in harmony.

Lots of pundits reviewing this game, saying Liverpool struggled against us because we sat back and counter attacked. Did they not watch the game? First half we pressed high and their players couldn't string two passes together. They barely had a touch in the first 10 minutes.

We got the first two goals not by having two banks of four, but by forcing mistakes because of our high press. We went toe to toe with them in that first half and destroyed them.

Second half, fair enough we switched to two banks of four and played on the counter. But that was just good game management. By that stage, the game was already won.

On 01/03/2017 at 16:22, st albans fox said:

You don't get to choose whether you kick off when you win the toss, you get to choose ends! Whoever  loses the toss kicks off!

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

You don't get to choose whether you kick off when you win the toss, you get to choose ends! Whoever  loses the toss kicks off!

Really?

You're right but when did that change? 

I'm sure years ago, (and I was captain at school!), the winner of the toss had the choice and the loser got to choose ends or kick off depending on what had already gone. If you lost the toss and the opponent chose ends you could choose to allow your opponent to k/off if you wanted to.

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Really?

You're right but when did that change? 

I'm sure years ago, (and I was captain at school!), the winner of the toss had the choice and the loser got to choose ends or kick off depending on what had already gone. If you lost the toss and the opponent chose ends you could choose to allow your opponent to k/off if you wanted to.

I think it just such a common misconception that most people do it wrong, I've know referees get it wrong too! 

Archived