Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Kindle

Going on hols soon but weight allowances are shocking so looking at getting a kindle instead of taking a few books. No idea about them as never owned one. They seem to range from £60 to anywhere near £150. Any guidance appreciated as the best value and differences between them. 

Or am I best to get a tablet that will link to my Samsung phone, I believe you can download books and magazines to a tablet?

22 minutes ago, broughtonblue said:

Going on hols soon but weight allowances are shocking so looking at getting a kindle instead of taking a few books. No idea about them as never owned one. They seem to range from £60 to anywhere near £150. Any guidance appreciated as the best value and differences between them. 

Or am I best to get a tablet that will link to my Samsung phone, I believe you can download books and magazines to a tablet?

How many books you taking lol.

I've got a kindle touch and love it. Brilliant for having a selection of books ready for holidays. The basic ones are great however the more you pay for them the more tech you get like a back light for reading in the dark. Even the basic ones have a long long long battery life and hold more books than you could ever read. I've synced my phone and tablet to my account as well do I can read across my devices but reading on the kindle Is a much better experience, especially outside because of glare, helping to reduce eye strain. 

1 hour ago, broughtonblue said:

Mrs CF has got a kindle (the basic one) and loves it ...    me ..  I just like the feel of a book and being able to turn a page ...   weight issue or not.

I've got a kindle paperwhite and I love it. I read lots and save lots of money (and bookshelf space!) as kindle editions usually cost less than real books. Initially I thought I'd miss the 'feel' of a real book, but I really don't at all. Paperwhite is great - really crisp text on clear white background and the backlighting is good too. 

Basic Kindle is brilliant. DO NOT BUY a Kindle Fire tablet.

It's like Shinji... does a lot of things except for what you bought it for (the apps are very limited).

Or, if you already have a tablet, use the Kindle app for books- but it will be heavier than a basic kindle 

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. Does the job but I'm not keen. Like, CF, I prefer the 'feel' of a real book. 

I only bought one because I have too many books (says Mrs B) and she implimented a one in - one out policy (which I found impossible to adhere to).

2 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Basic Kindle is brilliant. DO NOT BUY a Kindle Fire tablet.

It's like Shinji... does a lot of things except for what you bought it for (the apps are very limited).

Or, if you already have a tablet, use the Kindle app for books- but it will be heavier than a basic kindle 

The Mrs bought me a Kindle Fire last year. I never asked for one (i prefer to read actual books) so no idea why she wasted her money on it. It does come in useful though. Literally the only thing i use it for is just-eat. It's very good for that though. I've never tried the kindle function...

My mrs has one, she loves it. kindle fire. its good for that but shit as a tablet. if you have a tablet already, just get a book reading app installed, other wise, a kindle fire or one with a backlight will do you just fine

Archived