Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
taffyfox

Is my boy ready?????

Hi all, 

My boy is football and Leicester mad. I'm desperate to get him to a game but wondering when the right time is. He is 3 in June. Insists on watching recordings of Leicester games and wearing his City top every morning.

Anyone been in the same boat or could share some stories much welcomed.

Mods feel free to move....

thanks .....

3 year olds vary so much only the parent can really know.

I couldn't afford it when mine were 3 no freebies back then sadly but great that there are now and a bigger stadium would help.

1 hour ago, taffyfox said:

Hi all, 

My boy is football and Leicester mad. I'm desperate to get him to a game but wondering when the right time is. He is 3 in June. Insists on watching recordings of Leicester games and wearing his City top every morning.

thanks .....

First took my daughter at 4, I think, and she loved it despite not being as football mad as your lad sounds.

A few hints, from memory (sorry if these are obvious): 

- Either sit away from loud parts of the ground or bring some earplugs or similar, as kids' ears are more sensitive

- Bring some other distractions (e.g. colouring book & crayons, small toys, sweets) due to short attention spans

- Have a back-up plan: i.e. be prepared to leave early or have a partner pick your kid up if he gets bored/fractious halfway through

- If possible, sit near a row end for toilet access...and maybe go in/out at times to avoid major crushes (not half-time?)

1 hour ago, taffyfox said:

Hi all, 

thanks .....

I've been having the same thoughts as to whether I should take my little lad. He turned 3 last week. 

He plays football all day long and has the kits etc

but I just think for mine personally he probably wouldn't sit still for 90 minutes so I may wait another 6/7 months and then take him or even to a cheap pre-season friendly just to see how he is.

They get fed up pretty quick I found. Been taking my eldest since he was five and the first season he'd end up moaning after half time and asking to go home. He's now 9 and loves it. 

Personally I think 3 may be a bit young, but you can give it a try and see how he goes!

think you have to judge it yourself, I took my girl at 3/4 knowing she would behave and sit still, her personality is that way, in fairness she doesn't like actually watching the game, and very rarely bothers now, she hasn't been for about 3 seasons, what a waste lol my boy however, I took to the opening game of last season, sunderland home, he was such hard work at about the same age, he wouldn't sit still, was bored and wanted to go at half time lol he spent more time, running up and down the isle, talking to people, and eating crap, he never saw a minute of the rest of the season, he's started coming again this year, but only to the sat 3pm games including a 3 hour drive to sunderland away and back, which is a long slog, but he enjoys it now, he also went west ham away the other week which meant a full day out, but he loves the company of my mates/family etc as well, which can make it easier in my book.

He's a lot better now, and watches the game, doesn't cost me quite as much in snacks, deffo take your own, £1.30 for a twix is daylight robbery, oh and yes if you can be near an isle and exit for toilet breaks, do. It's a long way from the back of SK1 for me, I've had to resort to (for him not me), 2 drinks at the most, wee, before leaving pub, wee on arrival at ground and wee at half time, you forget that 2.30-5 ish is a long time for a kid to not go.

when my middle son was five at his first game, he moaned - the 5-3 Bolton game - bored !!!  spent most of the game counting the fans

my youngest is just six and has been to half a dozen games this season. loves it. wont concentrate when watching us on the box but at the ground he is well into it. depends on the kid and their attention span

Cheers guys. Some good stories there!! Im assistant manager for a side in the southern premier league so going to get the mrs to bring him to a couple of games now the weather picks up. (She hates footy). Still aiming to ket him at the KP before the end of the season though! 

13 hours ago, taffyfox said:

Cheers guys. Some good stories there!! Im assistant manager for a side in the southern premier league so going to get the mrs to bring him to a couple of games now the weather picks up. (She hates footy). Still aiming to ket him at the KP before the end of the season though! 

Your options maybe a bit limited there. After tonight there are only 3 home league games left and I'm guessing spurs is a night game when re arrranged. 

So you may want to think about watford on the 6th of may as Bournemouth will no doubt sell out with it being last day of the season.

Took my boy to his first game this season, he was 5 then and 6 now. First game fine really but wanted to go before the game finished... second time... Bored and wanted to go home before half time. Managed to get him to sit there the whole game tho but he missed most of the game as i think he was a bit cold (even tho wrapped up it was west ham at home) but just cuddled up to me.. and i think he was a bit overwhlemed by the noise as he said it was really noisy..

So i probably wont take him again until next season and see how he is then.

My first game was at 7 at filbo so i guess next season when he turns 7 hopefully should be ok.

On 4/9/2017 at 16:19, lestajigs said:

My daughter first went with me at 2 didn't know anything about the game, just fascinated, with filbert lol 

pretty much what my daughter did at 4 to be honest! She still does now. 

only cried once however and that is when she was cold and tired at the stoke home game last season. Since then its wrap up warm go in spring/summer for her. 

I took my lad to the 5-3 win over Bolton when he was nearly 2,

he was in Orr of the stadium,my biggest fear was how would he react if we scored,there was 8 goals in total,he loved it but it was the cold weather that he didn't like,I then took him to the Man City game which we lost 1-0 at home befour xmas(lampard scored) and again because of the cold weather he didn't enjoy it,my mum had to come and pick him up at half time,I would suggest taking him to an early/late season game when the weathers good

• 2 weeks later...

I took my boy at 3 YO, he wasn't interested... At the start of our promotion season, I gave up my season ticket as i wanted to spend time with him at weekends as i travel for work all week... We get promoted (4 YO), we survive (5 YO), still no interest, we win the Premier League - only at Christmas of last season did he get the bug... Now he's Leicester mad so I'm working my way back up the food chain as a Silver Member, as is he.

I watch 30 odd years of ups and downs, we arrive in the promised land after a 10 year wait and I'm reduced to the odd game here and there... oh well, fatherhood! The sacrifices we make

Taking my 2 year old daughter to her first game on Saturday, not expecting to see much of the game as she doesn't like to sit still but I have to get her to see the team when we are still champions. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised and she will watch the game and enjoy, I will have a bag full of sweets and maybe a film for her to watch too to keep her busy if she gets bored.

My eldest has been going since he was 5 and loves it (although he did used to get bored a bit at first). But my other son is now 6 and has pretty much hated it every time he's been. Even though he has a ST, I generally drop him off at the in laws on the way to the game to avoid him being a pain in the arse.

Archived