Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

another effect of this cap is that now billions of revenue for social care has been lost from the original policy in the manifesto

How are you going to pay for this Theresa May? Where is the money coming from? The magic money tree?!?

But the Torys are strong and stable and can be trusted when it comes to finances?

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

So what is the cap? Any details, as they aren't in the manifesto.

They haven't said!

Edit speculation suggests it could be either £35k which was originally proposed or £72K which the government was intending to propose before scrapping it.

Its still an awful policy though - With or without a cap - With the cap It just softens the impact for wealthier people. 

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

She won't give one because it's back of a fag packet stuff. Whatever it is the cap means the middle class will be hit hardest as a percentage as they could stand to lose 80% of their assets with an average house while someone with a massive house over say £1 million could lose just 10%.

Edit: that's based on a rumour of a £300K cap

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

She won't give one because it's back of a fag packet stuff. Whatever it is the cap means the middle class will be hit hardest as a percentage as they could stand to lose 80% of their assets with an average house while someone with a massive house over say £1 million could lose just 10%.

Well she has said nothing has changed, so it's £72,000 if they haven't detailed it. Pinocchio was less obvious.

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

They're aren't than many houses worth less than £100,000 around these parts. Fùck me better get back on the rockstar lifestyle, saving is for chumps.

25 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Even the Daily Mail comments section is beginning to turn on May, this is the highest voted comment lol

The highest voted comments can often be manipulated but even the replies are suggesting the same, some comments about voting Labour are positively upvoted! I'd love to see the polls come the end of the week!

22 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Screenshot_20170522-131734.png

It gets better, they are now claiming they only dropped the recommended cap of £35k and not their cap of £72k - absolutely laghable the lies these people will tell! 

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Labour are saying its a sign of a weak and unstable government which i think is great!

Its exactly what it is though. I'd love to know the thoughts of some of our more right leaning posters. I'm still an undecided lefty, so it would have been highly unlikely i'd have voted Tory anyway - but i just can't see the appeal in Theresa May or her manifesto - and now things seem to be unravelling ans showing her true self its even worse. 

What do you Tory fans think though?

5 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

No point mate. Matt's gone on a self imposed exile to The Telegraph comment sections and Webbo is waiting for the Daily Mail to tell him what to think.

surely there more than 2 though? 

15 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

No point mate. Matt's gone on a self imposed exile to The Telegraph comment sections and Webbo is waiting for the Daily Mail to tell him what to think.

lol

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

It was £52,000 per annum for my grandma in a nursing home. 

That's higher than I expected. I knew that a nursing home would cost more than £28-35k (care home rate)...but that's a big difference.

Obviously, you're partly paying for the greater level of trained expertise. I suppose more expensive equipment might be needed for nursing care than general care, too?

58 minutes ago, Strokes said:

On the BBC lunchtime news, the Tories said that would be decided by a review before the end of the year (i.e. well after the election! :rolleyes:).

Andrew Neil interviews Theresa May at 7pm this evening, so that might be worth watching (Nuttall, Farron, Sturgeon & Corbyn to follow, Tues-Fri).

Even now, the division between "health" and "care" creates some arbitrary divisions: end up with years of treatment for cancer or heart problems and it's free on the NHS; end up needing long-term continuous care due to dementia, stroke, Parkinson's or whatever, and it can cost your home and nearly all your savings. My Dad's situation wasn't so bad as he needed care for less than 18 months (last 10 months continuous), had a good pension and cash in the bank from having downsized from house to flat. I always think of my cousin, a divorcee who had a clerical job and no great wealth. She had a stroke at 69, then lived on for almost 10 years in a nursing home - I presume her home was sold and the cash spent up to the last £14k. 

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

You forgot the Dr Singh guy who is waiting to 'read' the Daily Sport to tell him what to think......

40 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Its exactly what it is though. I'd love to know the thoughts of some of our more right leaning posters. I'm still an undecided lefty, so it would have been highly unlikely i'd have voted Tory anyway - but i just can't see the appeal in Theresa May or her manifesto - and now things seem to be unravelling ans showing her true self its even worse. 

What do you Tory fans think though?

As someone who has for the main part, voted right, I'm completely at a loss at what to do. I've always said I'm open to vote other ways if i felt it was right, but for me, none of them are fit to lead the country right now. The Conservative manifesto is, in the large part, poor in my eyes and the 'dementia tax' is disgusting. For the first time, I might actually just not bother voting. I can't bring myself vote for any of them.

---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40001221

'She insisted that no-one would have to sell their home to pay for care while they were alive and people would still have "something to pass on to" their family after their death.

"We will make sure there's an absolute limit on what people need to pay. And you will never have to go below £100,000 of your savings."

The prime minister denied that it was a U-turn, insisting that "nothing had changed" and "the basic principles" set out in the manifesto remained in place.

Asked what level the cap would be set at, she said that would be a matter for the consultation. And she hit out at what she said was "fake" portrayals of the policy by Labour and other critics - who have labelled the move a "dementia tax".'

So after saying there wouldn't be a cap, May is now saying there will be a cap but they haven't got time to work out what it should actually be but they'll do it after the election. She'll certainly be busy trying to work out what her manifesto was supposed to mean whilst also working out how to negotiate with the EU.

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That's higher than I expected. I knew that a nursing home would cost more than £28-35k (care home rate)...but that's a big difference.

Obviously, you're partly paying for the greater level of trained expertise. I suppose more expensive equipment might be needed for nursing care than general care, too?

On the BBC lunchtime news, the Tories said that would be decided by a review before the end of the year (i.e. well after the election! :rolleyes:).

Andrew Neil interviews Theresa May at 7pm this evening, so that might be worth watching (Nuttall, Farron, Sturgeon & Corbyn to follow, Tues-Fri).

Even now, the division between "health" and "care" creates some arbitrary divisions: end up with years of treatment for cancer or heart problems and it's free on the NHS; end up needing long-term continuous care due to dementia, stroke, Parkinson's or whatever, and it can cost your home and nearly all your savings. My Dad's situation wasn't so bad as he needed care for less than 18 months (last 10 months continuous), had a good pension and cash in the bank from having downsized from house to flat. I always think of my cousin, a divorcee who had a clerical job and no great wealth. She had a stroke at 69, then lived on for almost 10 years in a nursing home - I presume her home was sold and the cash spent up to the last £14k. 

For now, Alf.

For now.

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yeah absolutely, you have to remember as well sometimes those going into care homes do not have decision making capacity. We know the things my grandma likes and we spent as much as we could afford for her to have as many of the those things as possible. The incentive shouldn't be to do things on the cheap for frightened and confused people and this policy forces that. 

Ive spoke in detail to you before about this Alf and I have spent the last 18 months of my spare time, fundraising for charities that support social care and terminally I'll people. I'm glad the tories are backtracking on this but the damage is done.

So they have just crammed together a manefesto for the election? None of the policies may implemented. Why don't she say I have no idea what I am doing so there will be no change to how things are now.

No U-turn, it's just that the steer wheel on her campaign bus has locked and they are going round in circles.

Archived