Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

Guest MattP

In local elections I'll always vote for local candidate as the sort of things you do on a council will be very related to the local people.

In a national election though I don't think it matters, it's desirable that they would come from the constituency, but not really that important. If people had to represent their own area we would have missed out on a lot of talent over the years as they simply wouldn't ever be elected.

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I think she went on to claim that the responsibility is in relation to cutting police numbers and anti-terror resources - not sure how justifiable that line of attack is, but perhaps not as outrageous as it first sounded. 

Fair enough, it's very dodgy ground to go towards still even with a "but".

21 minutes ago, bovril said:

I can't stand UKIP but the full veil is prohibited in certain situations in many European countries, I don't think it's quite the extreme policy people are making it out to be. 

There's a big difference between banning ALL full facial coverings in certain situations, and banning the burka alone anywhere in public (UKIP's policy, unless I've misunderstood?)

I'd be in favour of banning anyone in a public service role from wearing any full facial covering, including the burka.....but I can't remember ever being served by a woman in a burka, even in a Muslim-run corner shop.

I'm not keen on the burka, as to me it gives off an aura of rejection, suspicion or non-communication (even though I understand that's not supposed to be the intention). I have no problem with other Muslim dress, headscarves etc.

But I'm also not keen on the heavily tattooed skinhead look, which gives off an aura of aggression and potential violence (though, again, I understand that not all skinheads spend all day kicking people's heads in).

I wouldn't impose a general ban on either.

A general ban on ALL full facial coverings for people serving the public (and a few other situations) would be enough, I think - and wouldn't single out one group, potentially fomenting needless hostility.

25 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I think she went on to claim that the responsibility is in relation to cutting police numbers and anti-terror resources - not sure how justifiable that line of attack is, but perhaps not as outrageous as it first sounded. 

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Fair enough, it's very dodgy ground to go towards still even with a "but".

She went on to mention 'scrapping of stop and search' and 'failure to curb immigration'.

Guest MattP
23 minutes ago, Buce said:

She went on to mention 'scrapping of stop and search' and 'failure to curb immigration'.

Of which neither are connected to the attack. Terrible stuff really.

A woman passed me the other day full veil and she was on a mobile. By her accent it was obvious she was a proper Lestah gal. Could not see her skin colour if that matters. I do not see many women in full headgear but when I do they are sometimes with women with just scarves. The ones in the full dress do not seem oppressed as they are chatting to the others or on mobiles just like we do. Cannot say about when they at home.

I do not feel threatened by them. Can we really say to them if you come to England you can have freedom of choice as long as we can tell you what that choice is? Does not really fit in with our values.

If they are going to pose a threat I do not it will be Muslim women wearing them rather men in disguise and the could easily wear ki masks or even Jimmy Saville masks.as a disguise. Is it fair to tell the women they cannot wear them because some bank robber might walk into a non Islamic bank to rob it. Some forms of Islam do not permit western style banks where interest is paid.

Any policy would have to be considered and the implications that follow before making it law.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

In local elections I'll always vote for local candidate as the sort of things you do on a council will be very related to the local people.

In a national election though I don't think it matters, it's desirable that they would come from the constituency, but not really that important. If people had to represent their own area we would have missed out on a lot of talent over the years as they simply wouldn't ever be elected.

Yep. It's a bonus if an MP comes from the local area, but of little importance so long as they get to know that area and spend time there. Personal capabilities and suitability are what matters.

Off the top of my head: Thatcher came from Grantham and was MP for Finchley. North London; Tony Benn came from London and was MP in Bristol and Chesterfield; Michael Foot came from Plymouth and was MP for Blaenau Gwent; Liam Fox is Scottish and MP in Somerset; Corbyn came from Wiltshire & is MP for Islington North; Gove came from Aberdeen and is MP in Surrey....

Ken Clarke does come from Rushcliffe and Chuka Umunna from Streatham, the areas they represent. Can't think of many others...

OK I see your point but Ashworth does spend a lot of time in the area. I believe his children are schooled locally. He helped set up a foodbank in Highfields. I thought he just had offices or his second home was in London (the higher value for expenses) He attends HOP a lot so it may be just him staying there. Don't know if he has supported City during his time here. I'd like to think he has.

14 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

OK I see your point but Ashworth does spend a lot of time in the area. I believe his children are schooled locally. He helped set up a foodbank in Highfields. I thought he just had offices or his second home was in London (the higher value for expenses) He attends HOP a lot so it may be just him staying there. Don't know if he has supported City during his time here. I'd like to think he has.

Apart from during the parliamentary recess, I think most MPs spend Mon-Thurs in London, unless their constituencies are close by, then Fri afternoon-Sun at their constituency home, spending time with family, doing local surgeries, attending events, pressing the flesh etc.

I'm not seeking to criticise Ashworth as I have the impression that he's an intelligent, diligent MP - who might be a key figure for Labour after the election. I voted for him last time and might do so this time. I know he spends time locally as I've seen him at a couple of events, he visited my daughter's school - and my wife has seen him several times around the shops undercover in a beanie hat!

Guest MattP
37 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yep. It's a bonus if an MP comes from the local area, but of little importance so long as they get to know that area and spend time there. Personal capabilities and suitability are what matters.

Off the top of my head: Thatcher came from Grantham and was MP for Finchley. North London; Tony Benn came from London and was MP in Bristol and Chesterfield; Michael Foot came from Plymouth and was MP for Blaenau Gwent; Liam Fox is Scottish and MP in Somerset; Corbyn came from Wiltshire & is MP for Islington North; Gove came from Aberdeen and is MP in Surrey....

Ken Clarke does come from Rushcliffe and Chuka Umunna from Streatham, the areas they represent. Can't think of many others...

Good knowledge, although I can't believe you missed the lovely Liz Kendall who we would never have clapped eyes on had she been forced to stand in Watford in 2010 and 2015 - Scottish MP's for the Conservative party it's big thing as a lot of the best ones have came from north of the border over the years, even more so the ones with great life stories like Michael Gove.

The next generation of Labour MP's will probably all be from Islington North or South as well, need to spread them around. :whistle:

Do we have any locally born MP's in Leicestershire? None of the three Leicester MP's are local, Ed Argar in my seat for Charnwood is from Kent, judging by his accent it's pretty certain Alberto Costa isn't from the county, Alan Duncan is from the home counties. I don't think we do.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Got my postal ballot through as I am out of the country on the 8th.  With some difficulty I have cast my vote and sealed the envelope.

Should have looked here, Jon - it's really not that difficult..

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good knowledge, although I can't believe you missed the lovely Liz Kendall who we would never have clapped eyes on had she been forced to stand in Watford in 2010 and 2015 - Scottish MP's for the Conservative party it's big thing as a lot of the best ones have came from north of the border over the years, even more so the ones with great life stories like Michael Gove.

The next generation of Labour MP's will probably all be from Islington North or South as well, need to spread them around. :whistle:

Do we have any locally born MP's in Leicestershire? None of the three Leicester MP's are local, Ed Argar in my seat for Charnwood is from Kent, judging by his accent it's pretty certain Alberto Costa isn't from the county, Alan Duncan is from the home counties. I don't think we do.

I just checked Tredinnick and he's from Worthing, apparently (Cornish name, though)

Greville Janner was from Cardiff.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

lol

He's teasing us, though, isn't he? He's sealed the envelope, but has he put it in the postbox? Might he, with great difficulty, unseal the envelope and change his vote?

Do you reckon someone should whip round there and steam open the envelope to see whether he's stuck with the Tories? 

8 minutes ago, Buce said:

WOW. that video has more views than my entire channel. Im in the wrong genre.

Coming next, how to breathe air

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

lol

He's teasing us, though, isn't he? He's sealed the envelope, but has he put it in the postbox? Might he, with great difficulty, unseal the envelope and change his vote?

Do you reckon someone should whip round there and steam open the envelope to see whether he's stuck with the Tories? 

Not posted it yet.  It would be spoiled if I changed it, and as a postal vote is it numbered and assigned to me only so no swaps.

So I could not post it, and it probably makes sod all difference either way in this constituency.  Somehow though, T May has made it uncomfortable to vote tory.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I just checked Tredinnick and he's from Worthing, apparently (Cornish name, though)

Greville Janner was from Cardiff.

Bridgen is from Burton, Garnier is from Germany (via Berkshire)  and Morgan in from London, I know I said it's not important, but it's a bit of a shambles we haven't got one member from the county or city that's born here. Leicester has one MP in the HoC - Kelvin Hopkins, the MP for Luton North.

(Whilst looking at this I've found out Ramsay McDonald was an MP for Leicester, I didn't know that)

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good knowledge, although I can't believe you missed the lovely Liz Kendall who we would never have clapped eyes on had she been forced to stand in Watford in 2010 and 2015

I just got distracted again and looked at Kendall's Wiki page. Apparently she split up with her partner in 2015, so could be a good time to make your move.

On the other hand, her ex is 6 feet 8 tall, apparently (a comedian - seen him on TV, I think).....so I'd double-check that he's accepted that it's all over for him and Liz.  :whistle:

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I just got distracted again and looked at Kendall's Wiki page. Apparently she split up with her partner in 2015, so could be a good time to make your move.

On the other hand, her ex is 6 feet 8 tall, apparently (a comedian - seen him on TV, I think).....so I'd double-check that he's accepted that it's all over for him and Liz.  :whistle:

It's Greg Davies, the teacher from The Inbetweeners.

Slightly puts you off, emphasis the slightly though. 

Guest MattP
24 minutes ago, Buce said:

Really?

That seems like an odd match.

It's a crazy world mate.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Got my postal ballot through as I am out of the country on the 8th.  With some difficulty I have cast my vote and sealed the envelope.

You've gone SNP again right?

UKIP are a useful political outrider for the Tories. They can shift the debate onto security and tackling "Islamism" and attack May on police numbers and propose crazy illiberal tactics to counter terrorism and the result is the Tories look like a reasonable compromise. Let the debate be about security where Labour are weak without being the one to move it there and look crass and opportunistic.  

Archived