Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Chilwell

29 minutes ago, Thracian said:

My point is that they didn't have much to defend in terms of real threat.

We didn't have anyone getting round the back with pace or skill. There wasn't enough off-the-ball and fast-passing to conjure some space through the middle nor sufficient goal threat in numbers because it just doesn't exist.

I accept that even good crosses might have struggled to find a target against a well-balanced defence but we never found out and never quite asked enough questions in other ways.

It was night's like last night when you count on people like Mahrez to fashion the two or three openings that might make a difference and, if he had done, his other shortcomings would likely have been overlooked.

But he might as well not have been there and when that's the case the bloke becomes a liability rather than an asset  and one that should probably have been replaced by half-time at the latest.

You are spot on. You won't be popular for being spot, but you are.

I thought we only really got going in the second half last night. I can't recollect us having a shot of note in the first half?

At home, with what was at stake, the 'big players' needed to really step up. 

And they didn't.. .Drinkwater looked off the pace, Mahrez did one or two little bits but didn't take any control of the game. And Vardy was isolated for 45 mins.

The second half was a bit like the Alamo at times, but not in a controlled way. There were mis-crosses, fluffed shots, headers over the bar and poor free kicks. The consensus seems to be that Atletico didn't let us play. They were too good, type thing.

I'm not sure...i thought they were very very well organised, but I didn't think we played as well as we can do either.

I commend them all for the effort..it was exceptional for 45 mins. But I'm with you on this...we weren't fantastic at all in terms of how we can play, especially at home.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

play him for the rest of the season at left back, there is nothing on the season now really and he needs games, I believe he will be first choice pretty quickly next season in any case

Ahead of Fuchs pretty quickly next season? I can't see that. Fuchs offers much more at the moment

Chilwell should start every cup match though and try to get as many minutes as possible in the league

28 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Ahead of Fuchs pretty quickly next season? I can't see that. Fuchs offers much more at the moment

Chilwell should start every cup match though and try to get as many minutes as possible in the league

Fuchs has already deteriorated this season, Chilwell is constantly improving and Fuchs will be 32, simply put Chilwell is the long term future there and should be playing next season, even if we have to put up with some errors in the short term

Just now, Jimmy said:

Fuchs has already deteriorated this season, Chilwell is constantly improving and Fuchs will be 32, simply put Chilwell is the long term future there and should be playing next season, even if we have to put up with some errors in the short term

I think we are looking at 2019/2020 season for Chilwell taking over that starting spot personally. I think he has a long way to go to improve his defensive game and although I agree he needs more games to improve that, I think it could cost us on many occassions at the moment. 

Fuchs was shocking in our slump, but no more so than anyone else. Since then, he has looked brilliant again and his long-throw is such a weapon as well as his crossing. Most importantly though, he is very solid in defence. I expect he will start most the games next season and then will perhaps move to America next summer and hopefully that is when Chilwell will step into that starting role. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

His long throw that we have only ever scored from once? it isn't that much of a weapon in reality.

Fuchs and Chilwell are not as far apart defensively as people make out

Fuch's throw is pretty much the same as a corner, so it is a weapon in that sense and it just adds another string in his bow, for why I think he currently offers more than Chilwell. 

As I said, most importantly he is just a better defender and that is Chilwell's weakest area from what I've seen so far, and I believe it could cost us if we started him over Fuchs next season. 

Perhaps Chilwell should get to start 2-3 or these last 6 games and we can all have a better idea of where he is at. So far. I have seen a young player that is very confident and composed on the ball and a threat going forward, although final ball is lacking, but also someone who struggles with positioning and the strength needed to battle in defence in the Premier League. 

Long-term if he toughens up and improves on his defensive duties, then he definitely has the quality and confidence on the ball, to be a very accomplished LB

he is only going to improve those by playing, as I said in the Gray thread English football needs to get over this fear of playing young players, part of the reason Dele Alli is so good is that he played so many proper games, Chilwell is a player we fought hard to keep last summer so PLAY HIM or what was the bloody point, Fuchs makes a lot of mistakes himself defensively but because he's not a young player people over look them.

9 hours ago, Thracian said:

. I certainly can't recall many memorable saves or desperate blocks from positions where we'd broken them down or pressured a mistake.         

Ulloa having a volley blocked, Savic taking one in the plums from Vardy straight off the bat. If you think the second half performance wasn't good then you weren't watching 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Ulloa having a volley blocked, Savic taking one in the plums from Vardy straight off the bat. If you think the second half performance wasn't good then you weren't watching 

Maybe my defnition of "good", or, more accurately "good enough"  and yours,  are different. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

His long throw that we have only ever scored from once? it isn't that much of a weapon in reality.

Fuchs and Chilwell are not as far apart defensively as people make out

Chilly was excellent last night going forward but you can't be serious believing he is anywhere near Fuchs defensively! 

Fuchs is one of the best left backs we have had and is miles better than Chilly defensively....I think he can learn a lot from Christian and hopefully get some experience over the next season or two

2 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Chilly was excellent last night going forward but you can't be serious believing he is anywhere near Fuchs defensively! 

Fuchs is one of the best left backs we have had and is miles better than Chilly defensively....I think he can learn a lot from Christian and hopefully get some experience over the next season or two

He's not far off. Obviously stats can be decieving and Chilwell has far less minutes.

97b1f22efe35caa94caf2456138b3d73.png

Fuchs stats going forward are far better than Chilwell though,

Just now, dominicmsb said:

He's not far off. Obviously stats can be decieving and Chilwell has far less minutes.

97b1f22efe35caa94caf2456138b3d73.png

Fuchs stats going forward are far better than Chilwell though,

Stats can be misleading imo.....I personally think Chilly is a long way from defensively being as sound as Fuchs but it's only an opinion

1 minute ago, Old Fox said:

Stats can be misleading imo.....I personally think Chilly is a long way from defensively being as sound as Fuchs but it's only an opinion

Yes I agree with that but I think it shows if he gets the minutes he is at a decent level to improve from.

Was throughly impressed by him yesteday. His best appearance in a Leicester shirt by a mile. 

Needs to develop his shooting and attacking side of the game. Still think he's raw there but the potential is huge.

Really glad we didn't sell him to Liverpool or Arsenal last year.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There's a good player in there somewhere but it seems like he's a graduate of the Jeff Schlupp School of Shooting and Crossing.

He's more likely to have a defined role unlike Schlupp who was played pretty much everywhere though so he can work on that at least

16 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There's a good player in there somewhere but it seems like he's a graduate of the Jeff Schlupp School of Shooting and Crossing.

He's a Left Back as opposed to a Striker, which Jeff started out as. Give him time.