Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Chilwell

• 4 weeks later...

Biggest improvement for me this season is his composure on the ball. Much better now and whilst I wasn't so sure earlier in the season, think he will take over from Fuchs half way through 2017-18. He is learning very quickly. Not phased today and put in a good shift. 

21 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Great player. Loved it when he ran the whole length of the pitch.

Immense talent, and we need to build around him and Ndidi.

Yes, it was a maizey run and there were other moments of promise, but let's not forget all the errors. And N'didi no less. 

Edited by Thracian

He's fantastic going forward and he's like that because he's grown up around that being common place.

The problem is that only works in teams with good quick centre backs, so unless we are investing in two in the summer, I worry about his suitability as a starter and therefore the increased chance of him leaving.

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Yes, it was a maizey run and there were other moments of promise, but let's not forget all the errors. And N'didi no less. 

Young players, perfect to build around, they will make errors, but they will grow and be immense for us (or for someone else if we unfortunately let them go).

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

He's fantastic going forward and he's like that because he's grown up around that being common place.

The problem is that only works in teams with good quick centre backs, so unless we are investing in two in the summer, I worry about his suitability as a starter and therefore the increased chance of him leaving.

I am sure we will, well at least one.

4 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Young players, perfect to build around, they will make errors, but they will grow and be immense for us (or for someone else if we unfortunately let them go).

No, you build around a solid, reliable, talented core and introduce promising youngsters gradually at first and more regularly as they grow in confidence and show they can take greater responsibility.         

• Like 3

He still gets skinned a bit too easy at times for my liking. Did well though. Great composure on the ball. Work on his defending and crossing and we've got a player on our hands. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

He still gets skinned a bit too easy at times for my liking. Did well though. Great composure on the ball. Work on his defending and crossing and we've got a player on our hands. 

lol

Posts like these always make me chuckle.

Work on his defending....he's a fookin left back! It's like saying Vardy needs to work on his finishing. Another recent one was 'Amartey needs to work on his tackling'.

lol

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I thought he was excellent today even though both Fuchs and Albrighton bailed him out a couple of times, but you also have to give him credit for the quality of the opposition today. A couple of confident runs today and not afraid of the Ball either. His crossing will improve as he settles more into the side.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

Work on his defending....he's a fookin left back! It's like saying Vardy needs to work on his finishing. Another recent one was 'Amartey needs to work on his tackling'.

lol

Am I wrong though? Sterling went passed him too easily at times. As did the Everton lad in the cup. Simpson almost never gets skinned. In case you weren't aware of it a lot of modern full backs can't defend for shit, and they are, wait for it......defenders.

8 minutes ago, Thracian said:

No, you build around a solid, reliable, talented core and introduce promising youngsters gradually at first and more regularly as they grow in confidence and show they can take greater responsibility.         

Exactly that. He needs to learn the defensive side a bit more. He stands a bit square on to players at the minute but that's probably because he was used to winning one on one's as a junior.  But the Boy has done well today and looks to have promising future with us.

I'd like to see him play the Albrighton role with Mark moving to the right which would give us a better all round Balance plus the added bonus of Marks crosses.

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

lol

And what's unusual about that exactly? So you think these attributes no longer need work on the second you become a pro?

Reflecting on Chilwell's performance:-

a) Comparison with Simpson on the right was misleading. Simpson had his failings today - one related to a major weakness i've referred to before - and there was plenty of danger arising from his side as well as Chilwell's, particularly in the first half.

b) Being an effective full-back is not just about stopping the winger beating you. It is part of a team effort. Lots of teams double up on dangerous players like Mahrez and what matters is how they work together. I thought Chilwell was left without sufficient help at times today, both in terms of dealing with Sterling and in terms of team-mates offering passing options when he had the ball.

c) Chilwell had a far better second half than first but then Man City were much more defence-minded second half so little if anything was proved about Chilwell's defensive reliability.

d) A definite fault first half was his poor passing. It started in one of our early attacks down the left when, faced with making a simple five-yard pass inside he missed our runner, passed the ball into empty space behind him and a promising move broke down. Thereafter he put simple passes out of play or just misdirected or misweighted them. It disappointed me because passing is one of his strengths.

e) He looked sharp and strong which was heartening because he's looked lightweight in the past and once again, he looked for the ball, tried to take responsibility and showed promise going forward. More positives.

f) Too often though he was left short of a quick call for a one-touch pass which is not his fault directly but he needs to demand support if it's lacking. It's the same when he's faced with a strong individual talent. He needs to demand and direct that colleagues provide back-up and that, to me, seemed more or a problem than the basic problem of Sterling's ability.

g) To keep things in proportion Manchester scored two goals at home today, of which one was a clumsy penalty that had little or nothing to do with Chilwell and, apart from a 20 minute spell before half-time I thought we contained them quite well considering our re-jigged backline. Chilwell played his part in that because he did face up and he did demand the ball which will be one of his great strengths as he evolves. Another strength is his coolness. I like defenders who are determined but don't panic or act rashly. 

Altogether I think him highly promising but he needs to work on his consistency, his decision-making, his organising and demands of others around him. And his reading of situations in terms of when to be positive and when to jockey an opponent until more help arrives.

It doesn't help that people ignore his weaknesses in trying to big him up for whatever reason. He's a young prospect right now and needs to focus on improving every weakness he can identify. But of the three "emerging" youngsters out there today - Chilwell, Amartey and Gray - I'd say Chilwell was the one I'd back to become a first teamer if he stays grounded and accepts that his breakthrough will take time and still greater effort.           

Edited by Thracian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Basically exactly how I saw it. Needs to toughen up defensively but he's a talent for sure.

• Like 1