Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Chilwell

A proper athlete. His work rate in that second half was top notch. Just as others have said it's a shame his delivery is not better. 

If he was able to whip a cross in like Fuchs is we could have a real top quality player on our hands. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lee7 said:

A proper athlete. His work rate in that second half was top notch. Just as others have said it's a shame his delivery is not better. 

If he was able to whip a cross in like Fuchs is we could have a real top quality player on our hands. 

Crossing can be learned. He'll improve with the time.

Oh and Fuchs crosses weren't great tonight.

I don't think any Leicester fan can argue that in general Fuchs probably has one of the best delieveries of any player in our squad when it comes to whipping balls into the box. 

But I agree tonight his crosses were not as accurate as they usually are. Although saying that every cross we put into the box seemed to find an Atletico players forehead. 

He's a kid who was asked to do a man's job with little first team football under his belt. Do some people really expect a virtuoso performance from someone his age with his experience against one of the top teams in Europe? Can those that do, name another kid of the same age and experience in the Premiership that would have done a lot  better?

He did bloody well under the circumstances and needs encouragement and support from his own fans if he's to thrive.

1 hour ago, FireFox said:

Fantastic performance for the 2nd half tonight. Showed why he deserved the contract he got in the summer.

I think he is deserving of a starting spot. If we stick with 442, would play him on the left wing and Albrighton on the right.

Fantastic? What were you watching?

There was nothing "fantastic"  about Leicester's football  tonight. It was just a commendable effort.

Yes, Chilwell did okay. As most anyone might have done against a side who'd largely given up on any serious attacking intent.

But his final ball was woeful and, sadly, reflected generally.

Yet attacking football, and more especially when we're fighting for our continued presence in the Champions League, is all about the final ball and we, generally didn't have one either from Chilwell or anyone else.

The boy rated 7/10 at best - an average performance all but mirrored across the team.  

But 7/10 was never going to be good enough and Shakespeare had few other worthwhile options apart from Gray and I'd doubt that was his fault.

Sure, we did okay for those satisfied with our reaching the Champions League quarter-finals. Me, I still think we could have gone further despite our being snookered so unforgiveably by the referee in Madrid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foxes21 said:

Think Shakespeare made the right subs at half time. Clutching at straws to think Gray would have been anymore effective, due to his lack of end product.

At half-time yes but got to be critical of the Amartey one. Chilwell was finding lots of space on the left but not able to do much with it and I think when Wes got injured and we still needed 2 goals, moving Fuchs to CB and Chilwell to LCB with Gray coming on LW, would have been a better choice. 

6 hours ago, Thracian said:

There was nothing "fantastic"  about Leicester's football  tonight. It was just a commendable effort.

Yes, Chilwell did okay. As most anyone might have done against a side who'd largely given up on any serious attacking intent.

Yet attacking football, and more especially when we're fighting for our continued presence in the Champions League, is all about the final ball and we, generally didn't have one either from Chilwell or anyone else.

The boy rated 7/10 at best - an average performance all but mirrored across the team.  

But 7/10 was never going to be good enough and Shakespeare had few other worthwhile options apart from Gray and I'd doubt that was his fault.

Sure, we did okay for those satisfied with our reaching the Champions League quarter-finals. Me, I still think we could have gone further despite our being snookered so unforgiveably by the referee in Madrid.

Spot on. 

Terms like 'fantastic', 'awesome' and the such like are thrown about on here, like confetti.

There was nothing fantastic about how we played tonight. We gave it a go in the second half but that was all we did. Nobody shone out for us.

Edited by Col city fan

He played very well. Only thong you could really slate is the deliveries constantly finding atletico heads, but I'm not convinced that was him rather than atletico defending well - two of the best crossers of the ball I've ever seen in a city shirt in Fuchs and Albrighton struggled massively with picking out a city player as well.

Ultimately we had one of the best teams in Europe defending for their lives for 45 minutes and chilwell played a huge part in getting them on the ropes, criticising after that seems churlish.

• Like 1

His final ball is dog mess but then so is Gray's and so was Mahrez's for his first year here. I question him as a left back as I think the way we play we don't use our full back in an attacking sense and Chilwell's defensive abilities are erratic too. I think as a wingback he's got every chance of becoming top drawer, it's all about how we develop him the next 2-3 years.

He certainly doesn't lack confidence. If he'd scored that screamer I think we'd have done the fcukers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

He played very well. Only thong you could really slate is the deliveries constantly finding atletico heads, but I'm not convinced that was him rather than atletico defending well - two of the best crossers of the ball I've ever seen in a city shirt in Fuchs and Albrighton struggled massively with picking out a city player as well.

Ultimately we had one of the best teams in Europe defending for their lives for 45 minutes and chilwell played a huge part in getting them on the ropes, criticising after that seems churlish.

There's nothing "churlish" about rating him 7/10 which also acknowledges his hand in our goal. But his performance was encouraging more than "fantastic" and so too our team's efforts in general.

Yes, Atletico showed themselves determined to defend their advantage but I wouldn't say there was anything desperate or "for their lives" about it. I certainly can't recall many memorable saves or desperate blocks from positions where we'd broken them down or pressured a mistake.

They just seemed well organised and well disciplined most of the time rather than under great pressure.

It became clear we didn't quite have the keys to unlock them - all we could do was knock on the door occasionally - and that reflected the limitations of our depleted squad to some extent.          

9 hours ago, STUHILL said:

At half-time yes but got to be critical of the Amartey one. Chilwell was finding lots of space on the left but not able to do much with it and I think when Wes got injured and we still needed 2 goals, moving Fuchs to CB and Chilwell to LCB with Gray coming on LW, would have been a better choice. 

Can't rep you but, yeah spot on.

He was excellent, up to the point of making a final ball. I couldn't help but feel if it was Fuchs in those positions we've have made more of them. But he's a young lad in the biggest game in the clubs history, I think I can forgive being overly keen to get the ball in quickly, rather than focusing on quality.

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Spot on. 

Terms like 'fantastic', 'awesome' and the such like are thrown about on here, like confetti.

There was nothing fantastic about how we played tonight. We gave it a go in the second half but that was all we did. Nobody shone out for us.

I thought we played very well against a team that would comfortably win the Premier League. They are a level above any team we play in England and we certainly made them uncomfortable in the 2nd half. 

So so a lot of good, solid performances from our team, including Chilwell and Ulloa. 

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He was excellent, up to the point of making a final ball. I couldn't help but feel if it was Fuchs in those positions we've have made more of them. But he's a young lad in the biggest game in the clubs history, I think I can forgive being overly keen to get the ball in quickly, rather than focusing on quality.

To be fair to Chilwell though Fuchs did get in similar positions and failed to beat the first man quite a number of times and Albrighton over hit the crosses. Last night the crosses needed to be inch perfect as Athletico are supurb in defending and while his final product wasn't always there he still managed to find great positions and make runs which bodes well for future selection.

The main question though is where to play him. His defending isn't as good as Fuchs although it could get there in time so maybe bring him on in games at LM to keep shape and track back or bring Gray on if we need to attack?

I echo many on here that while Chilwell played well,  he was able to do so partially due to the space afforded to him and his final product was very lacklustre.  I can forgive him more if his delivery was inconsistent but most of his crosses were severely underhit at waist height.  He did well in keeping possession in the general though.

However, the real point I wanted to make was his fearless attitude which was brilliant to see.  I have read reports of him being intimidated by Millwall crowds and I feel his performances in the past has mostly played with a cool head (not a bad thing mind).  It was refreshing to see his hunger,  I loved it when he twatted an Atletico player doing some time wasting where the ball then went out for a throw in.   

5 minutes ago, Worthington said:

The crux point of the matter, which some on here seem to have missed.

I sometimes wonder ..... Is there a minority that would rather find shortcomings in our players than praise the opposition.

My point is that they didn't have much to defend in terms of real threat.

We didn't have anyone getting round the back with pace or skill. There wasn't enough off-the-ball and fast-passing to conjure some space through the middle nor sufficient goal threat in numbers because it just doesn't exist.

I accept that even good crosses might have struggled to find a target against a well-balanced defence but we never found out and never quite asked enough questions in other ways.

It was night's like last night when you count on people like Mahrez to fashion the two or three openings that might make a difference and, if he had done, his other shortcomings would likely have been overlooked.

But he might as well not have been there and when that's the case the bloke becomes a liability rather than an asset  and one that should probably have been replaced by half-time at the latest.

4 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I echo many on here that while Chilwell played well,  he was able to do so partially due to the space afforded to him and his final product was very lacklustre.  I can forgive him more if his delivery was inconsistent but most of his crosses were severely underhit at waist height.  He did well in keeping possession in the general though.

However, the real point I wanted to make was his fearless attitude which was brilliant to see.  I have read reports of him being intimidated by Millwall crowds and I feel his performances in the past has mostly played with a cool head (not a bad thing mind).  It was refreshing to see his hunger,  I loved it when he twatted an Atletico player doing some time wasting where the ball then went out for a throw in.   

Agree with that. We got a throw in shortly after the second half had started and he was geeing up the crowd and it was amazing to see everyone in SK1 and around that corner waving there arms shouting and cheering together. Amazing atmosphere last night and for a young lad to come through the youth system and play in that game must have been an amazing experience for him. Can't wait to see how he develops.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thracian said:

Pretty much my own sentiments. He done ok without making the necessary difference at that level. I just don't know waht Shakey's thinking was. Baffling to me. Chilwell never once got to the back line to cut a ball back. He's a decent prospect at the minute but he has a lot to learn also. Personally I don't think he's good enough for full back or quick enough for a winger. Left side of Midfield is probably his best position at least until he get's a bit stronger and more experienced.

I felt the game was lost long before kick off when I seen the lineup. Our efforts where commendable  but that's all it was, huffing and puffing. Our lack of quality was exposed last night by a Team who were always in control once they scored the away goal.

Bags of potential, needs to keep grounded and work hard on his defensive game and maybe bulk up a little, bit suspect at defending set pieces, but all in all very impressed with what i've seen of him this season. Maybe a wing back is is better posistion currently as it means we still have 3 CB's on the pitch for the marking at corners and freekicks.

People saying he'd be better at left wing-back, I think he's just a modern full-back. He's clearly got the stamina and brains to do both defensive and attacking work, but he's been equally as impressive in games he's simply been at left-back.

Lots of promise, but still a long way to go for the lad.

• Like 3