Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Old Jags

Hi All!

Calling out for any FT'ers with knowledge on older jags for some input please.

I'm in a position where I need to sort myself out a car pretty sharpish (company car being handed back shortly). Looking to spend sub £5,000 and want something comfortable. Always fancied a jag and this is probably my chance to get one. Possibly end up financing a newer car once I know the work miles requirements of my new job and indeed have my mortgage all in place and have moved. The result is that this car could end up being garaged within a year and I'd then keep it in good nick with the occasional run, but generally garaged hopefully as an investment or something to get out when I just fancy driving around a jag as opposed to a (probable) diesel engine executive saloon soulless mile-muncher. Ideally, if I get something low mileage and well spec'd enough, I hoped maybe I'd have a future classic on my hands?

I've been looking at a few XJ8s, generally 1999 and 2000. Have found some genuine low mileage examples.

Anything I should be looking out for? Would anyone take a look at a few of the listings I'm potentially interested on and giving their views?

Car experts give me a shout! Thanks all!

I like them too, understand you wanting one. 

Haven't a knowledge on jags, but I would only take an "investment" car at the point where you buy one, it is in very good shape and not a drain on your finances.

My mate bought one, it was the model that didn't last long and was basically a mondeo with a jag badge on it. Just showed how far down the brand had gone, but he was very proud of it and just shows how much people like the brand. 

You can't beat buying an old style car, provided you are prepared for the costs of repair. If you are not prepared, the fun will go out if it. 

I guy I used to do some casual work for about 40 years ago, had a mint condition Mk2 Jag (built circa 1962 - the one that villains all drove in those old Ealing films).

I bumped into him a couple of years ago, and he still had it. Must be worth a small fortune.

I'm after an XJ and they've depreciated a long way now. The newest are over 10 years old. The one I'm looking at is 2000 and done under 40,000 miles. 

I I understand the love for the XK but I need it to be a bit sensible for the time I have it. There is a lovely example at under 15k near me though with not a lot on the clock. 

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

I like them too, understand you wanting one. 

Haven't a knowledge on jags, but I would only take an "investment" car at the point where you buy one, it is in very good shape and not a drain on your finances.

My mate bought one, it was the model that didn't last long and was basically a mondeo with a jag badge on it. Just showed how far down the brand had gone, but he was very proud of it and just shows how much people like the brand. 

You can't beat buying an old style car, provided you are prepared for the costs of repair. If you are not prepared, the fun will go out if it. 

I've got one of these :)

An 8 year old X-Type Automatic, diesel, leather seats, 70k on the clock and I love it to bits. 

Cheap as chips to run, economical, nice to drive and with enough umph if you need it.

Before this I had another X-Type manual that I had for five years and I liked it so much I upgraded a bit.

I'll run this current one into the ground and then probably get rid when it's done 100k+ miles.

Then I'll probably be looking for a second hand xf to replace it.

Can see myself sticking with old Jags forever from now on...

On 20/04/2017 at 08:00, The People's Hero said:

Hi All!

Calling out for any FT'ers with knowledge on older jags for some input please.

I'm in a position where I need to sort myself out a car pretty sharpish (company car being handed back shortly). Looking to spend sub £5,000 and want something comfortable. Always fancied a jag and this is probably my chance to get one. Possibly end up financing a newer car once I know the work miles requirements of my new job and indeed have my mortgage all in place and have moved. The result is that this car could end up being garaged within a year and I'd then keep it in good nick with the occasional run, but generally garaged hopefully as an investment or something to get out when I just fancy driving around a jag as opposed to a (probable) diesel engine executive saloon soulless mile-muncher. Ideally, if I get something low mileage and well spec'd enough, I hoped maybe I'd have a future classic on my hands?

I've been looking at a few XJ8s, generally 1999 and 2000. Have found some genuine low mileage examples.

Anything I should be looking out for? Would anyone take a look at a few of the listings I'm potentially interested on and giving their views?

Car experts give me a shout! Thanks all!

My oldest always wanted a jaguar and eventually bought one instead of his Audi (can't remember which model). As a biggish guy he didn't much like it, found the servicing costs astronomical - two tyres and a few sundries adding up to over £2000 if memory serves - so he quickly went back to the Audis for a while and now just plugs his all-electric Tesla into his rooftop grid. Good tax advantages apparently and nothing much to service at all. 

On 20/04/2017 at 09:54, Buce said:

I guy I used to do some casual work for about 40 years ago, had a mint condition Mk2 Jag (built circa 1962 - the one that villains all drove in those old Ealing films).

I bumped into him a couple of years ago, and he still had it. Must be worth a small fortune.

Even after you bumped into It???

I have an XF as a courtesy car at the moment. It makes me feel about 75 years old.

Its decent to drive to be fair, but just feel old in it. 

I have started to wear beige pastel coloured clothing and I now like the odd cigar. 

Would definately like like to drive around in a vintage one, but not comfortable in this one. 

Archived