Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxoffderby

Francesco Acerbi

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

People say Mendy was a Ranieri signing because they worked together before. He actually quit Monaco when Ranieri was there.

Mendy is an absolute archetypal Walsh moneyball signing. Ligue 1, great stats for work rate, passing and interceptions, it looked like a banker.

We were all excited by him on paper.

Then he gets injured, barely plays and suddenly he's a Ranieri flop. What?

People say he was a Ranieri signing because of the fact we bid on Kante BEFORE Ranieri came in, he arrives and we suddenly change targets and go after Mendy. Walsh then admits he had a battle to convince Ranieri to go back to Kante.

I also don't think he ever fit our system. If we were aiming for high tackles (like Kante and like Gueye who he was also interested in) then he's the total opposite of that. Not everyone was excited by him, I was never convinced he'd fit here when he signed because he played a totally different role to what he'd play in a 4-4-2. When there were rumours of going 433 I could see him fitting, but that never came about.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Why would Ranieri sign Kapustka then bench him all year?

Because he realised he's not very good?

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Tbh, I'm not even convinced by Benalouane. I think people assume it was Ranieri purely because he came from an Italian club.

Absolutely nothing stood out about the bloke, we know we look at a lot of stats and there was nothing there but pure average. Most of our signings are always very high in certain areas stat wise. Chuck in the fact he's a another last minute panic buy after we'd failed all summer with other CB's.

He stank of a last minute recommendation after Walsh had gone and our list had been exhausted.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, FoxinNotts said:

With what we've now got; Huth, Benny, Maguire and Morgan, Acerbi would be the best option.

Nonsense. 

11 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

It's not nonsense mate, it's opinion. I'm a fan of having a left footed centre back in the left centre back position.

Have you seen a lot of acerbi? What particular attributes would he bring to the party?

That left footed centre back and a proper number 10 is called for every transfer window but it never happens lol

Maguire seemed to be on the left side of defence though on alot of the highlights video that was posted yesterday.

On 2017-5-30 at 09:25, Babylon said:

People say he was a Ranieri signing because of the fact we bid on Kante BEFORE Ranieri came in, he arrives and we suddenly change targets and go after Mendy. Walsh then admits he had a battle to convince Ranieri to go back to Kante.

I also don't think he ever fit our system. If we were aiming for high tackles (like Kante and like Gueye who he was also interested in) then he's the total opposite of that. Not everyone was excited by him, I was never convinced he'd fit here when he signed because he played a totally different role to what he'd play in a 4-4-2. When there were rumours of going 433 I could see him fitting, but that never came about.

So Ranieri could easily have lost us the title before the drama really started! If we were Russian owned he'd probably be pencilled out of our history! :D   

1 minute ago, Thracian said:

So Ranieri could easily have lost us the title before the drama really started! If we were Russian owned he'd probably be pencilled out of our history! :D   

No, He'd probably have been found buried alongside King Richard.

10 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Have you seen a lot of acerbi? What particular attributes would he bring to the party?

No not 'a lot' of him. I've seen some clips of him playing, like I'm sure most of you have, on YouTube etc. He gets rave reviews in the press. To be able to break into the Italian national set up, and break up the Juventus party at the back for Italy, is some acclaim itself. The guy is well sort after, by all accounts.

As a side note, I don't rate Gibson or Smalling as highly as I do him. It's just my view.

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Be nice if it happened this window tho, wouldn't it?

I always remember a few years ago @ramadaone said there's no chance we will sign a number 10 when everyone was fed up with Nugent and we still haven't. Kapustka could be classed as that but he's never got a look in.

Honestly don't get the weird obsession some people have with left footers at left centre back. I can think of literally dozens of the best CB partnerships which had two right footers.

6 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

No not 'a lot' of him. I've seen some clips of him playing, like I'm sure most of you have, on YouTube etc. He gets rave reviews in the press. To be able to break into the Italian national set up, and break up the Juventus party at the back for Italy, is some acclaim itself. The guy is well sort after, by all accounts.

As a side note, I don't rate Gibson or Smalling as highly as I do him. It's just my view.

Everyone has their own views on this but i cant understand why people are so hell bent on us signing foreign players who have never played in the prem over players who have proven premier league quality. Granted, Gibson has only had 1 season but he looked very good in a pretty poor team. You say Acerbi is sought after and Galatasaray are interested. Apparently Chelsea are interested in Gibson. If that's not high praise i dont know what is

9 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Everyone has their own views on this but i cant understand why people are so hell bent on us signing foreign players who have never played in the prem over players who have proven premier league quality. Granted, Gibson has only had 1 season but he looked very good in a pretty poor team. You say Acerbi is sought after and Galatasaray are interested. Apparently Chelsea are interested in Gibson. If that's not high praise i dont know what is

Gibson is more than twice the quoted price, Acerbi is an international for one of the worlds best teams. If it leaves more in the pot for other areas, I'd rather take Acerbi.

Archived