Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Filbert Street

I’ll always love filbo. Got my ST in 97, so I was lucky enough too see some great years at filbo. Granted I was only about 7-8 so I can only remember snippets. First game was a loss to Wimbledon, but I still fell in love with the place. I used to love walking up the stairs, to see the glow from the old score board just peer over the horizon as to approached the top. I definitely don’t get the same feeling at the KP, but that’s probably because I’m not 8 years old anymore and off my tits on skittles. 

Old grounds had charm about them, they were crude stunk of piss and we’re probably hellishly unsafe, but who gave a shit about anything in the 90’s.

One memory that sticks out to me was the game V Palace in the cup, when Theo Zagorakis went in goal, don’t know why that sticks but for whatever reason it does. I’ve got boxes and boxes of programmes from 97-2001 in the loft, such a shame there was nothing put up after it was taken down. 

My Grandad lived in Filbert Street and sent his Mum and Dad a post-card from the trenches in France to Filbo, in WW1 where he served as a young man. Sends a shiver down my spine everytime I read it, pride of place as my bookmark in Of Fossils & Foxes. They must have lived there when the ground was built?

• Like 4

Guest Markyblue

It was a sh.thole but it was unique and a proper football ground. Miss it still but time moves on and modern stadiums are safer unfortunately. 

First game was 11th Feb 61 against Newcastle. We sat in the double decker and won 5-3. A couple of weeks earlier we had beaten Manu 6-0.

Later on I was there as a kid for an attendance of over 40,000. I remember we all had to go over the wall and sit on the touchline. No elf and safety in those days. You had to get there early if you wanted a place on the wall otherwise you saw nothing if you were little. Entertainment was the Loughborough Town Band and a selection of Souza marches.

There was always a real crush going out, everyone pushing so hard your feet left the ground as you funnelled through the exit gates.

Great memories.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the all stars game was a draw and settled with pens but that's from nothing but memory. 

I think Tom Williamson an academy grad I went to school with played too and I seem to remember him scoring the winning pen in the shootout but I may have made it all up tbh 🤣

It had a ramshackle charm completely lacking now. A proper peoples' ground. Available to the entire population,  and better for it. 

Football mirrors society,  and we now live in a safer, blander more money-conscious world. Modern stadiums reflect that of course. 

The game's probably better now,  it's debatable, but we've lost something precious. 

Something that's not coming back. 

• Like 2

Wonderful memories. Standing by the tunnel watching Rodney Fern playing for Rotherham when he was calling to a team mate who couldn’t hear him but we could, so we all joined in.

Standing in pen 3 v Liverpool and it was so full I took my feet off the ground when there was a crowd roll.

The 3 3 draw with Arsenal, three goals in injury time and Walshy goading Ian Wright as they left the pitch. 
Happy days!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobHawk said:

I remember getting up at 5am and queing at the turnstiles to get Wembley tickets. Good times.

I remember being a 12 year old and my dad making me do this for the Blackburn play off game. Looking back I think I probably could have stay at home with my mum but it was a bit of character building and I love telling my 40 something year old mates The story.