Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Filbert Street

Guest CityFan 06
2 hours ago, kushiro said:

I like how that 1927 pic above captures the Double Decker mid-construction.

Interesting to compare that pic with this from 1968. Weird how the viewpoint is so similar -

SCAN0030_01.jpg

Interesting picture that.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:30, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

Watching the entire game stood on the plastic seats in Pen 3 was a killer on the calf muscles! :(

Stood in pen2 listening to the tings on the fence then you get hit. Old 10p's were a killer.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Isle of Wight Fox said:

15 years today since the very last time I went to Filbert Street for the City v City Allstars event

Filbert Street 130502b.jpg

Old school panoramic! lol

I was at that game, where you've took this photo is pretty much exactly where I was I think.

The lights went out and all you heard was snapping of the seats lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt said:

My everlasting memory of Filbo that.

Balling my ****ing eyes out in the dark, and I mean properly crying.....devastated

Got my seat though

I like how that 1927 pic above captures the Double Decker mid-construction.

Interesting to compare that pic with this from 1968. Weird how the viewpoint is so similar -
SCAN0030_01.jpg

Sorry for repeating your comment. Hadn't that far in the thread.

Sent from my Fusion5_108 (16GB) using Tapatalk

'Old' stadiums are like Triggers brush.... 5 new stands and 20 new pitches.... but it's the same stadium.

Unlike some, I wasn't massively bothered about leaving Filbert Street in the end. I prefer to remember it the way it was in it's heyday's, 60's and early 70's (I was a small kid then) before the pens went in the Kop and the boxes over the Filbert Street end. The Carling Stand was souless and the seats ruined the Kop. Quite a sad end really. It would've required a 3-sided rebuild to stay there and then we would have a new stadium albeit on the same plot.

It's taken a while but, to me, the move to Freeman's Wharf has finally paid off and I wouldn't ever want to move again.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has yet mentioned a certain cup tie with Shrewsbury...

For non-football reasons games against Chelsea were always entertaining.

Worst away fans (again back in the 80s) were Everton - they'd break in overnight and steal tickets for the game, then turn up en masse in the Family enclosure...

On 14/05/2017 at 10:35, ThurmastonFox said:

I remember when they launched the new scoreboard because it could show player pictures. Unfortunately it didn't survive one of Ian Marshalls skyward shots and forevermore it malfunctioned

That scoreboard was meant to be the latest state of the art technology,looking back it was quite horrific 

On 11/05/2017 at 22:34, Vlad the Fox said:

5-0 v Cambridge, the place was absolutely bouncing, the walk back into town after celebrating our first trip to Wembley was brilliant. 

Remember Lineker last game, missed a pen for his hat trick.

shaking hands and chatting with shef united fans on the family enclosure wall after they'd got promoted and had invaded the pitch.

Jumping up and down on the track in front of the main stand after we'd score.

running on the pitch after the last game of the seasons with a handful of other kid hoolies, lol 

'Wakey wakey' (family enclosure) anyone else remember him. lol 

Peake lashing two in against Liverpool in a 3-3 one night, and punching my Liverpool supporting brother when dalgleish equalised. 

Beer crates and little hole in the wall serving drinks and snacks.

shouting to the players as they came down the tunnel

The man who used to have conversations from the family enclosure in the main stand with Mark Wallington

pitch invasion with my mum after we gained promotion after dull draw with burnley

One of the best games in the pens, the Cambridge play off match, oxford in the pens was a good one, Tony James scores to keep us up.

Just wish my kids could have experienced the old pens, yes you got jumped on by random strangers when we scored, got squashed against the barriers when doing the disco, but that's what made the place great.

Great memories, just glad I got to go to grounds when they had character, not like the soulless places many have become, Wembley especially 

• Like 1

On 2017-5-14 at 11:11, Matt said:

Old school panoramic! lol

I was at that game, where you've took this photo is pretty much exactly where I was I think.

The ones that were left after the spurs match I remember those with a bit more nous had brought tools to the game, a spanner got passed round SK1 and rows of seats were removed lol 

5 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

One of the best games in the pens, the Cambridge play off match, oxford in the pens was a good one, Tony James scores to keep us up.

Just wish my kids could have experienced the old pens, yes you got jumped on by random strangers when we scored, got squashed against the barriers when doing the disco, but that's what made the place great.

Great memories, just glad I got to go to grounds when they had character, not like the soulless places many have become, Wembley especially 

Yes the pens. I was in the family stand at the bottom of the old main stand for Cambridge but was in pen 4 for Oxford, only just got in after running round the ground in a panic as each stand filled. I can remember when west brom scored, there was a chap with a wireless who thought it had been disallowed so while the rest of the stadium was bouncing we were just stood there. Then he realised it was a goal so we joined in the celebrations. I can also remember the tension of the last 10 or so minutes when we knew the west brom game had finished and as it stood we were staying up but Oxford weren't laying down for us. And then the final whistle and the pitch invasion with police at the front of the pen helping us out onto the pitch, my mates and myself then spent time re-enacting Tony James goal lol 

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

The ones that were left after the spurs match I remember those with a bit more nous had brought tools to the game, a spanner got passed round SK1 and rows of seats were removed lol 

I dug up a chunk of the pitch then took it on the piss. The next morning I planted it in my garden but within a week my mongrel soil had killed it lol That or the beer I was watering it with the Saturday evening.

2 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Yes the pens. I was in the family stand at the bottom of the old main stand for Cambridge but was in pen 4 for Oxford, only just got in after running round the ground in a panic as each stand filled. I can remember when west brom scored, there was a chap with a wireless who thought it had been disallowed so while the rest of the stadium was bouncing we were just stood there. Then he realised it was a goal so we joined in the celebrations. I can also remember the tension of the last 10 or so minutes when we knew the west brom game had finished and as it stood we were staying up but Oxford weren't laying down for us. And then the final whistle and the pitch invasion with police at the front of the pen helping us out onto the pitch, my mates and myself then spent time re-enacting Tony James goal lol 

There was some West Brom fans in the away end in the double decker for the oxford game, after being crushed waiting for the final whistle and pitch invasion, the West Brom fans must have felt sorry for us, as they donated money, made a few quid, think it was £2.50 to get in, and made a bit lol 

Looking back now, I moaned when it went from £2.50 to a fiver in one season, if only we knew what we'd pay now lol

Edited by Monsell1976

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, fuchs123 said:

Leicester City v City Allstars 13th May 2002

Does anybody remember the score? Thanks 

2 hours ago, fuchs123 said:

Leicester City v City Allstars 13th May 2002

Does anybody remember the score? Thanks 

I went to almost every game that season, and I have absolutely no recollection of this game even taking place let alone the score!

• Haha 1

I went don't remember the score I know Walshy scored with a retaken penalty for a foul he committed and got absolutely drenched queuing up to get in.