Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Filbert Street

First game was City v Tottenham (when they actually won things) with a Jimmy Greaves hat trick but his 3rd was ruled out cos the ref blew for half time before the ball hit the back of the net. We drew 2-2. I was sat on the wall behind the goal, Kop end, and the coppers came around and told us to get our feet the other side of the wall - we did for about 5 seconds. Remember picking up the ball one match and chucking it to Gordon Banks - he took the goal kick, it was headed on and a first time shot hit the back of the net - my assist I think. Living in Kenilworth as a teenager, used to get the bus in to Coventry, then a bus to Upperton Road, walk up to my aunts on Aylesbury Road and have a cuppa, then a slow walk to Filbo. I remember the queues to get in the Kop often went all round the corner and halfway down the car park. Loved the atmosphere there - hated the toilets (were they ever cleaned?). The one time I was in the East Stand was the time that Birch kissed Tony Currie - happened right in front of me. Happy days

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Pretty sure the cost for 'juveniles' (as the turnstile sign said) was 20p for the 'popular side' and 25p for the Kop when I first started going as a young kid in the 70s.

So many happy memories of that wonderful place.

Spot on.

About the mid 70s though, there was only SK1 & SK4 on offer at 25p to us young'uns. After paying your five bob to gain entry to one of the side pens there were gaps under the rails of the pen where a thin kid could squeeze under to join the more vociferous pens 2 & 3. Tubbies would have climbed over. Believe me SK3 back then along with Frankie Wortho, Weller, Glover, Shilton et al to marvel at was the absolute bollox to impressionable teenagers like myself. Hooked for life.

• Like 1

Some great memories from filbert Street. My  2nd ever game 1972, 2-0 down to Liverpool and  Keith Weller hat trick to win 3-2. I'm sure Liverpool won the league that year as well. Best hat trick I ever saw at fb, Dennis bergkamp 1997 and Walshies equaliser in injury time, what an atmosphere. The kop in those days was something special. 

I was there for the final season as a season ticket holder. Games before then included FNF (free tickets for local schools) and a handful of Premiership matches. More often than not, we won.

The smell of chips, fags and cheap aftershave (not mine) are my memories. How you could only see the roof of the net at the kop end from anywhere further back than row H.

Invaded the pitch and jumped on Gary Lineker at the final league game vs Spurs. Special day. Filbert Street is sadly missed.

• Like 1

So many amazing memories. 

1st game in 1968, sat on the wall at the front, running on the pitch with the other kids at the end of the game, I then panicked wondering where my big brother was (luckily he kept an eye on me).

Leatherhead in the FA cup.

Beating Oxford Utd to NOT get relegated to Div 3 for the 1st time ever.

During boring games, someone shouting CELTIC, then someone shouting RANGERS, people separating, then a fight starting.

Andy Peake's goal against Liverpool.

Lenny Glover on the wing.

Robbie Savage 'stage diving' into SK1.

Sitting (I always stand) in SK2 with my 6 month old son on my knee (my wife had to go somewhere, I had my son, I wasn't going to miss a game).

Must stop now, I could list a million experiences. The thing is I know you young'uns think we can be a bit nostalgic, but I have great memories of Filbert Street.

I am developing great experiences for 'Filbert Way' such as Everton last season and the European nights this year.

One last thing,

At Filbert Street we sang 'When You're Smiling' properly. At a nice slow pace, with the correct hand waving at the end.

Edited by Weller in Tights
  • Like 3

5-0 v Cambridge, the place was absolutely bouncing, the walk back into town after celebrating our first trip to Wembley was brilliant. 

Remember Lineker last game, missed a pen for his hat trick.

shaking hands and chatting with shef united fans on the family enclosure wall after they'd got promoted and had invaded the pitch.

Jumping up and down on the track in front of the main stand after we'd score.

running on the pitch after the last game of the seasons with a handful of other kid hoolies, lol 

'Wakey wakey' (family enclosure) anyone else remember him. lol 

Peake lashing two in against Liverpool in a 3-3 one night, and punching my Liverpool supporting brother when dalgleish equalised. 

Beer crates and little hole in the wall serving drinks and snacks.

shouting to the players as they came down the tunnel

The man who used to have conversations from the family enclosure in the main stand with Mark Wallington

pitch invasion with my mum after we gained promotion after dull draw with burnley

• Like 3

Even though I was fairly young at the time I still do miss Filbert Street. Maybe because it's holds so many fond memories growing up. 

I used to stand in the kop with my dad one game we were playing Nottingham Forest and their fans started throwing coins into the kop. A police officer had to pull me out and put me on the side of the pitch and I ended up being a ball boy. After the game I remember my dad saying "don't tell your mum what happened" 

Also this is still one of my favourite songs. 

• Like 2

My first game was when I was really young and it was a 4-0 home win over Millwall, I remember Julian Joachim tearing them a new one and the weird site of an almost finished Carling Stand. We played so well that day that for a while I laboured under the misapprehension that we were the best side in the world. That lasted until my second visit to Filbo a few weeks later when we got dicked by Tranmere I think it was. 

4 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Ill never forget scoring a header in front of the Double Decker for a crucial equaliser at Filbert Street. Definitely the highlight of my career. 

Unfortunately the Double Decker was empty, it was a Leicestershire Schools cup final, we lost and there was about 30 people in the Carling Stand.

You lucky bar steward. I played in quite a few schools cup finals and the best we ever got to was playing at FLOB...Friar Lane Old Boys. I hated that pitch. It was huge and rock hard.

29 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Even though I was fairly young at the time I still do miss Filbert Street. Maybe because it's holds so many fond memories growing up. 

I used to stand in the kop with my dad one game we were playing Nottingham Forest and their fans started throwing coins into the kop. A police officer had to pull me out and put me on the side of the pitch and I ended up being a ball boy. After the game I remember my dad saying "don't tell your mum what happened" 

Top song! Loved it

7 hours ago, Weller in Tights said:

So many amazing memories. 

1st game in 1968, sat on the wall at the front, running on the pitch with the other kids at the end of the game, I then panicked wondering where my big brother was (luckily he kept an eye on me).

Leatherhead in the FA cup.

Beating Oxford Utd to NOT get relegated to Div 3 for the 1st time ever.

During boring games, someone shouting CELTIC, then someone shouting RANGERS, people separating, then a fight starting.

Andy Peake's goal against Liverpool.

Lenny Glover on the wing.

Robbie Savage 'stage diving' into SK1.

Sitting (I always stand) in SK2 with my 6 month old son on my knee (my wife had to go somewhere, I had my son, I wasn't going to miss a game).

Must stop now, I could list a million experiences. The thing is I know you young'uns think we can be a bit nostalgic, but I have great memories of Filbert Street.

I am developing great experiences for 'Filbert Way' such as Everton last season and the European nights this year.

One last thing,

At Filbert Street we sang 'When You're Smiling' properly. At a nice slow pace, with the correct hand waving at the end.

Lenny, Lenny glover oo oo. Hello Hello Frankie wortho Frankie wortho. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Yes

Sitting on an orange seat first ever game.

Watching Frank Worthington do keepy uppys.

Bench seats in the double decker.

Sitting on the wall. 

Doughnut sellers walking round the pitch.

Unenthusiastic programme sellers.

Standing on the kop, the anticipation on going in.

Standing on front row of the supporters club, leaning on a barrier, seats in front of you, post  in the way. Little pub in the corner. 

The extremely small club shop pre Barry Pierpoint. 

I cant recall many games, for me it was about the actual place. I loved it, it's where I wanted to be more than anywhere in the world. I spent all week wanting to be there and when I got there it meant everything. It's where my team played. 

Do I miss it? A little less so now, but for five or so years I litteraly could not walk by the place it hurt me so much to see it gone. 

Born in 85 I just missed out on the standing days, I would of loved it. 

But I can say I went to Filbert street and sat in every stand. Carling stand for FNF matches, east stand for my very first game v forest I think we lost 4-2 in our first prem season. North stand v Man Utd (97)i remember beckham in the warm up hit a lad a few seats away from me in the face with a ball and he got to meet him after the game. 

And as I got older I stood in the kop with a mate for quite a few games particularly remembering savage diving into us after he scored. 

Great times, miss the place but it was for the best, and look what we've achieved in the last few years. Wouldn't change it for the world