Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Filbert Street

I was born in 97 so never got to experience it (although I did watch my dad play a game there). It seems prosaic but it summed us up as a club, rough round the edges but very difficult much like O'Neill's side. 

The ground nowadays has a lot more character than it did, the flags and the atmosphere have made it distinguishable from the other soulless bowls but we've achieved success there and now it does feel  homely after it seemed like it never would. We've had quite the turbulent history in the short time we've been there, administration, relegations, promotions, heartbreak and ecstasy.

• Like 1

Every time I see the student accommodation that has replaced it, the more I think the area has been sadly wasted (the site where the ground was and the surrounding areas where it's more or less wasteland.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

After the game I went and stood on the centre spot and was amazed to see that all four corners dropped away, maybe a foot or two lower. Must have been a bit disconcerting for the opposition, thinking they were playing on a level pitch. 

Night games and fa cup replays were always special, but as Urban rightly says KP is now home. My lad has a south stand plastic sign about 4ft x 2ft still screwed to the back of his house. Good days, but the best was yet to come. 

I wish my memories of the place weren't so hazy... I was young, and can only vaguely remember it. I have memories of sitting in every stand though, which is nice. Off the top of my head:

Carling Stand:

Palace in 95/96 (first ever game)

Forest in 99 (3-1 win, Van Hooidonk red)

Kop:

Final game v Spurs

East Stand:

Atletico (what a noise and sense of injustice- remember the Parker red and Juninho goal perfectly well)

Coventry, can't remember which season- I just remember noting how odd Steve Ogrizovic looked

Family stand:

Being behind the goal when for Elliott's header vs Villa, Rocking All Over the World and all that.

A game against Blackburn- made my dad take me to the toilet and miss Izzet's goal

The thing that sticks out for me the most was how dark it seemed to be in the the top tier of the double decker compared to the rest of the ground when the sun was out.

Wonderful place to be in as a kid. Shite, but wonderful.

I remember travelling down to Leicester as much as I could (with my old man) to get to games. Made a fair few to say I was only young, maybe 7 or 8 home games a season. 

I can remember so much, unfortunately most of it is very vague... apart from the song, Republica - Ready To Go!

That song takes me back to Filbert Street. The place I fell in love with Leicester City. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

First went in the mid 80's, sat in the double decker, my abiding memory is losing and the smell.  I'm not 100% sure but I believe one of those games I saw was us beating the best team around Liverpool around 86?

Only started going regularly in 1990...it was great to turn up and pay on the gate and still got my regular place in he main  stand.  In those days i often went to Notts county when Leicester were away.

I don't mind the walkers but there's little soul.  Old grounds always had something special about them, maybe because so many looked unique and had hardly changed in decades.

Like others have mentioned, I never really got down there much, 10 or so games before it went. I have hazy memories, though I recall smashing my leg on something celebrating a goal against Charlton in 2000. I do so fractionally remember the launch of Walkers Lites on a Family Night Football, the England U-21 friendly and the 3-3 draw against Fiorentina too.

I think as someone who has watched the season reviews of 91-2002 over and over and over again since the age of 11 I have a nostalgic view of Filbert Street though that. Such a shame I never got to experience it more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

One very, very drunken night after the demolition, I broke away from my friends on the way home and found myself at Filbert Street. I climbed over the fence and stumbled across the rubble, finding my way more or less to where I used to sit, and had a quiet few minutes to myself. I couldn't resist stealing a roof tile:

You realise that the East Stand was riddled with asbestos? :ph34r:

Started off on the wall, next to the away dug out on the terraces of old members stand.

Moved to the kop .

Pen 2 . Play off years..moved from Kop after relegation from prem 94/95

sitting wasn't the same.

Went prawn sandwich brigade (when not playing) in the belvoir suite Carling stand till we moved to the kp . 

The spion kop was amazing. £5.50 

of my paper round money. There early every week.  Stood just infront of a barrier. My shoes never got thrown to the front lol

Remember being there when less than 4K vs West Brom was inside in the Anglo Italian cup .

Also 19k vs Man Utd reserves at Family night Football .

Favourite game 5-0 Vs Cambridge. 

The start of an amazing 10 years.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the cost for 'juveniles' (as the turnstile sign said) was 20p for the 'popular side' and 25p for the Kop when I first started going as a young kid in the 70s.

So many happy memories of that wonderful place.

Edited by Hammo
  • Like 1

Ill never forget scoring a header in front of the Double Decker for a crucial equaliser at Filbert Street. Definitely the highlight of my career. 

Unfortunately the Double Decker was empty, it was a Leicestershire Schools cup final, we lost and there was about 30 people in the Carling Stand.

• Like 1

Filbert Street appeared to have a more 'compact' atmosphere, as if you're very close to the pitch from the stands, that made certain games electric in terms of support.

Shame there's no photos online anywhere of what all the part of the ground looked like (from the dressing rooms, boxes, restaurants etc).

Also miss the Sunday Carvery they had there (they did at at Walker's Stadium for the first couple of seasons, not sure but don't think they do it anymore?).

Edited by Wymeswold fox