Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

5 hours ago, KingGTF said:

Is John McDonnell the most dangerous man in Britain?

https://capx.co/is-this-the-most-dangerous-man-in-britain/

Well that isn't a particularly interesting article.

Alistair Darling guaranteeing people's savings is exactly the sort of policy I would expect McDonnell to enact. 

I've no doubt that he is against the status quo - and the status quo is failing ordinary people so fair play to him -  but how that alone can be used to ask a rhetorical question about how he would have handled the crisis is just bizarre. The article doesn't see to go anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Gwon Boris, get us the brexit we voted for. Mays a snake and Hammond is a rat. Even if he is a stalking horse, it might be enough to stop them watering down brexit.

Damn right. 

Remoaners’ dream of a second referendum ‘is stone dead’ thanks to EU’s arrogance - Farage - Express
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/855082/brexit-news-eu-uk-latest-nigel-farage-brussels-jean-claude-juncker

How did any leave voters react in here, does further federalisation concern you? Has junker gone too far? Or is Farage talking out his arse and you will never accept you might be wrong? 

Edited by Strokes

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Remoaners’ dream of a second referendum ‘is stone dead’ thanks to EU’s arrogance - Farage - Express
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/855082/brexit-news-eu-uk-latest-nigel-farage-brussels-jean-claude-juncker

How did any leave voters react in here, does further federalisation concern you? Has junker gone too far? Or is Farage talking out his arse and you will never accept you might be wrong? 

#inbeforetoddybad. Can you copy and paste that? I'm not paying money to the Express 

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Not according to Vince Cable ... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41294083

I have no particular opinion on who might/might not be right/wrong (Farage vs Cable isn't a fight that would fill most people with anticipation I imagine), but it's always good to balance the argument ... 

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

Or is Farage talking out his arse

I've not read the link because I find your source to be a violent attack on my safe space but probably: That's Farage's MO, it's what pays his bills, it's his raison d’être.

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

and you will never accept you might be wrong? 

Sigh.  Tell us more about how you want to hold an honest, open-minded debate.

23 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've not read the link because I find your source to be a violent attack on my safe space but probably: That's Farage's MO, it's what pays his bills, it's his raison d’être.

Sigh.  Tell us more about how you want to hold an honest, open-minded debate.

It's alright, it only says we are right and you are wrong and that remainers are a bunch of self loathing, champagne quaffing, gender bending quislings. I'm paraphrasing of course.

to be honest a vote once we know the terms of the deal would be a perfectly reasonable idea tbh. 

i'm in favour of remain but if the deal was agreeable and it looked like a good way to move forward for the UK and myself then I'd have no issue changing my mind.

I get the feeling that most people (including many in this thread) who want a 'hard' Brexit would push on regardless even if the deal looked like it would be bad for the UK and them personally; it seems to be more about the act of ****ing off the EU than basing it on any actual economic / factual evidence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I didn't vote for that brexit, I'd rather we didn't give the black hole NHS more money personally.

What would you rather?

Genuine question, just wondering what people think the viable alternatives are. A more privatised system?

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

It's alright, it only says we are right and you are wrong and that remainers are a bunch of self loathing, champagne quaffing, gender bending quislings. I'm paraphrasing of course.

I think the article was a bit kinder than that but I take your point that it's essentially a bias confirmation piece. (Shit you got me I did read the article, I guess I still have a bit to learn from you about wilful ignorance.)

25 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

What would you rather?

Genuine question, just wondering what people think the viable alternatives are. A more privatised system?

I wouldn't mind knowing this either. Is it a false dichotomy between more fully funding the NHS and going for an American style system? If so, what's the middle road?

27 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

What would you rather?

A better ran system. Far too much waste. £800 for a £30 blind was one of the stories that popped up last year. How can you overspend on everything and just expect more money to spaff away? 

58 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

What would you rather?

I think it needs scaling down and parts of it privatising yes. It's behemoth and it's eating up money and it will never stop unless lines are drawn. What we need are clear lines drawn between what is the states responsibility when it comes to healthcare. In its current format it needs infinite funds and the whole service seems to suffer.

GPs privatise but fund welfare and students.

Cosmetics, privatise completely.

Dental privatise completely.

I don't think giving it more money solves the issues it faces.

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

How is it going to fund your holidays without it?

We can seemingly afford them even on this modest wage, one shouldn't be too greedy my friend.

Im off to Scotland tomorrow and I'm away again at half term, it's not all bad :) 

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think it needs scaling down and parts of it privatising yes. It's behemoth and it's eating up money and it will never stop unless lines are drawn. What we need are clear lines drawn between what is the states responsibility when it comes to healthcare. In its current format it needs infinite funds and the whole service seems to suffer.

GPs privatise but fund welfare and students.

Cosmetics, privatise completely.

Dental privatise completely.

I don't think giving it more money solves the issues it faces.

So...an American style system then? :ph34r: