Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

27 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

British people died in two world wars so we wouldn’t have to bow to anyone. She should show more respect to them.

Would Corbyn bow to the Royal family if he was PM?

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Would Corbyn bow to the Royal family if he was PM?

Yes, they bow and walk backwards out of the Palace every week after a meeting with the Queen. You've already sweared allegience to her majesty's parliament when you enter the house.

It's a bit much, but I also don't think it does any harm to see our politicians humbled on a regular basis.

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP
49 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

British people died in two world wars so we wouldn’t have to bow to anyone.

Did they? That's a new one on me.

16 minutes ago, Buce said:

No one should bow to them, mate.

It's demeaning.

You might think it's demeaning mate but I think it's respectful.

But I bow to your superior wisdom as always :)

• Like 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

I was interested in the centrist party idea until I read their immigration policies. 

What are they?

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

What are they?

Well from what I read a few months ago it was pretty anti-immigration which I myself don’t really see as sustainable or the global future - but if they are going to be centrist they need to get a mainstream body of voters behind them from the left and right or they have no chance obviously.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/07/new-political-party-break-mould-westminster-uk-brexit

Edited by Nick

14 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

there's a difference between a polite bow and Teresa May doing the worm every time she meets a 'royal

Daz, it's no biggie mate.

She's an old dear who's a bit ungainly - that's all :)

Guest MattP
7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well from what I read a few months ago it was pretty anti-immigration which I myself don’t really see as sustainable or the global future - but if they are going to be centrist they need to get a mainstream body of voters behind them from the left and right or they have no chance obviously.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/07/new-political-party-break-mould-westminster-uk-brexit

Cheers for that, very bizarre isn't it?

An anti-immigration pro-EU (with effective unlimited immigration) party just isn't going to come up with any sort of coherent manifesto. I don't see what sort of voter that could attract, certainly nowhere near in great numbers.

I can only see space for a new "centrist" party if political polarisation ends and that won't happen soon.

When you think about the current situation it's ludicrous beyond words, we've got a Remain supporting Prime Minister trying to pretend to implement a "hard Brexit" to keep masses of her voting base happy and then a Eurosceptic opposition leader trying to pretend to support a "softer Brexit" to keep masses of his voting base happy.

I have no idea how it's ended up like this. lol

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Daz, it's no biggie mate.

She's an old dear who's a bit ungainly - that's all :)

She looks awkward and weird in every single thing she does, it's a horrible thing to have in the year 2018 in politics. 

Remember when she tried to join in the Mexican wave and looked like a mad old woman who had just won at bingo?

IMG_20180623_154224.jpg

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

British people died in two world wars so we wouldn’t have to bow to anyone. She should show more respect to them.

Christ. The fact that isn't at all the reason the UK was involved in the world wars means nothing, does it? On both occasions the UK entered the conflict in response to a foreign invasion of an ally nation. There's an argument for the UK entering actually to maintain our system of governance even, which runs counter to your claim there. The people who fought and died from our country in those conflicts actually swore allegiance to their monarch. Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here.

"I... swear by Almighty God (do solemnly, and truly declare and affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the (admirals / generals/ air officers) and officers set over me."

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You might think it's demeaning mate but I think it's respectful.

But I bow to your superior wisdom as always :)

Nah 

Respect should be earned, not given due to an accident of birth. 

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

She looks awkward and weird in every single thing she does, it's a horrible thing to have in the year 2018 in politics. 

Remember when she tried to join in the Mexican wave and looked like a mad old woman who had just won at bingo?

She can't help the way she looks Matt FFS! 

She's only human and no-body's perfect. It's a shame people judge her on her awkwardness. She might look weird but don't we all?

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

I know man, I'm sorry. I know it's petty but she absolutely ****ing disgusts me. 

I can't help it. :(

Fair enough dude. It's a shame she disgusts you but each to their own.

I happen to feel that she doesn't aim to disgust people or deliberately try and piss people off. I think she's only trying to do the best that she can within her limited capability - as we all are...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Nah 

Respect should be earned, not given due to an accident of birth. 

I respect what the Royal Family do.

They do a lot of work for charity and are a positive thing for this country in general I believe.

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I respect what the Royal Family do.

They do a lot of work for charity and are a positive thing for this country in general I believe.

I think I just get pissed off with people who do a degree in the history of art and then get accepted on a fast rack to be a helicopter pilot!

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

She can't help the way she looks Matt FFS! 

She's only human and no-body's perfect. It's a shame people judge her on her awkwardness. She might look weird but don't we all?

Oh I'm not saying it's her fault, just making the point than any human awkwardness is now picked on in politics to an incredible extent.

Her doing a curtsy, Miliband eating, Trump and his hair, Corbyn and his dress sense.

Unless you are Macron or Obama you are will be judged.

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Fair enough dude. It's a shame she disgusts you but each to their own.

I happen to feel that she doesn't aim to disgust people or deliberately try and piss people off. I think she's only trying to do the best that she can within her limited capability - as we all are...

Probably dude, but I happen to think that she's massively struggling to push the 'what the people voted for' rhetoric and she knows that Brexit is going to be a disaster but she's going to push on anyway. I can't forgive that. She clearly values self-preservation and her stature over doing the best thing for the populous of the country she represents - I find that disgusting. Her gangly ways and awkward demeanour aren't her fault but I don't think it's acceptable for the leader of a country like this to have those mannerisms. She inspires zero confidence in her own party or party followers and it's not helping in the current situation.

I'm trying real hard to be less pessimistic and judgemental in general at the moment but man, she's just awful.