Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

So who’s in charge of this so called Deep State? 

It's called a Deep State for a reason, bro...

Edited by Buce

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's called a Deep State for a reason, bro...

So if we don’t know what it is or who’s in charge, how do we know it really exists? :dunno:

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Cool. I guess everyone owes Mrs May an apology then seeing as it’s not really her in charge of the country :thumbup:

I know you're being facetious but to an extent, I think that's true. I don't believe that governments - particularly Conservative governments - are completely free to make policy. Have you ever considered why the press is so relentless in its attempts to besmirch Corbyn? The Establishment is terrified of a non-Establishment figure in Downing St., terrified of a government they can't control.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I know you're being facetious but to an extent, I think that's true. I don't believe that governments - particularly Conservative governments - are completely free to make policy. Have you ever considered why the press is so relentless in its attempts to besmirch Corbyn? The Establishment is terrified of a non-Establishment figure in Downing St., terrified of a government they can't control.

Nah ...   they know a knob when they see one ...   :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Refusal to acknowledge the existence of the Deep State is naive and goes against all the evidence of history. It is known that the Deep State was working against Harold Wilson in the '60s - the military was even planning a coup at one stage, and we have current Members of Parliament claiming that the Civil Service is working to undermine Brexit even today.

We accept without question that the Deep State acts in countries such as Turkey and Egypt; what makes you think we are so different?

To get people believe in something you have to provide people with hard evidence that it actually exists. That’s why the number of atheists is soaring in the Western world as well as the Middle East. 

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

To get people believe in something you have to provide people with hard evidence that it actually exists. That’s why the number of atheists is soaring in the Western world as well as the Middle East. 

How much more evidence do you need?

It's beyond contradiction in many contemporary countries - Russia, Turkey, Egypt for example. I doubt very much that Trump is being paranoid when he says the US Deep State is trying to bring him down - the evidence certainly points to it. Historically, you have countries like medieval Spain - ostensibly a Monarchy - being run by the Church, the influence of the Templars in Europe... the list goes on. What makes you so sure we are immune to it?

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

More companies will be breaking cover to talk about the reality of Brexit. Today's march of 100,000 for a people's vote is just the start. Public opinion heavily backs a second vote - 48% for, 25% against:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/second-brexit-referendum-polling-eu-withdrawal-vote-leave-remain-a8413461.html

Sounds like the work of the EU deep state.

• Haha 4

Guest Markyblue
5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

More companies will be breaking cover to talk about the reality of Brexit. Today's march of 100,000 for a people's vote is just the start. Public opinion heavily backs a second vote - 48% for, 25% against:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/second-brexit-referendum-polling-eu-withdrawal-vote-leave-remain-a8413461.html

Didn't public opinion vote out 2 years ago or is your idea of democracy to keep voting until you win

3 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Didn't public opinion vote out 2 years ago or is your idea of democracy to keep voting until you win

Democracy doesn't stop.

If the majority no longer want to leave why should the minority be able to force them to?

I thought the will of the people was all important?

Guest Markyblue
Just now, toddybad said:

Democracy doesn't stop.

If the majority no longer want to leave why should the minority be able to force them to?

Who says the majority want to change the result the same opinion polls that on the night predicted a comfortable win for remain. You enter very dangerous areas when you try to change a democratic vote do you think 17 million people will just shrug their shoulders. Civil disorder on a scale not seen for hundreds of years could be the result. 

10 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Who says the majority want to change the result the same opinion polls that on the night predicted a comfortable win for remain. You enter very dangerous areas when you try to change a democratic vote do you think 17 million people will just shrug their shoulders. Civil disorder on a scale not seen for hundreds of years could be the result. 

Isnt that basically what happens after every General Election?

Guest MattP
4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It’s amazing Prince William and Harry both still speak to their Gran really.

Ya know, considering she killed their Mum and all that :rolleyes:

She was on a boat for weeks beforehand as well.

But the Royal family obviously prefer James Bond style assassination - via car crash. 

So mental I don't even know where to start and shows just how warped and paranoid society can be now. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Democracy doesn't stop.

When you get 17.5 million on a march I'll listen.

In the meantime go and ride David Cameron x

2 hours ago, Markyblue said:

The only way the Brexit vote won't be carried through is if there's a new vote. If a second referendum voted remain then you've lost, get over it.

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

When you get 17.5 million on a march I'll listen.

In the meantime go and ride David Cameron x

Pubic opinion is shifting.

Tbh you have to blame the government for the completely botched negotiations and the leave campaign for denying any downsides which is plainly wrong. They're both to blame for no realistic plan being in place to implement Brexit two years after the original vote. 

You had public opinion to carry out Brexit but a combination of the above has left opinion shifting with a second referendum clearly being wanted by large numbers of people.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Pubic opinion is shifting.

Tbh you have to blame the government for the completely botched negotiations and the leave campaign for denying any downsides which is plainly wrong. They're both to blame for no realistic plan being in place to implement Brexit two years after the original vote. 

You had public opinion to carry out Brexit but a combination of the above has left opinion shifting with a second referendum clearly being wanted by large numbers of people.

I hope we do get a second referendum, the consequences will be hilarious whatever the result. 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I hope we do get a second referendum, the consequences will be hilarious whatever the result. 

It'd be interesting. 

If the deal gets accepted then the deal gets accepted and us remainers would just have to grin and bear it. And hope to God we've been wrong all along.

If a remain scenario won (although the politicians want one question with remain as an answer I'd prefer two questions with remain only being an option if the deal is rejected - as I think it'd be unfairly weighed towards remaining otherwise) then I'd love to watch Liam Fox, Boris, ids, jrm and Farage on tv. It'd be brilliant viewing. 

Leavers make out it'd kick off but they'd have to get over it eventually. We remainers haven't been happy for the last two years but haven't really done much about it but moan a lot. The EU haven't called for a second ref, it's being called for by the British people. 

All a bit of a moot point though, there needs to be much more noise before the government have to call one. As it stands I'd still bet against.