Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I respect what the Royal Family do.

They do a lot of work for charity and are a positive thing for this country in general I believe.

Fair enough. 

But do understand the origins of bowing? Look it up, bro, and tell me why you accept them as better than you. It’s obsequious behaviour to someone whose position in society is held merely because their ancestors were better thieves than ours. 

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Buce said:

Fair enough. 

But do understand the origins of bowing? Look it up, bro, and tell me why you accept them as better than you. It’s obsequious behaviour to someone whose position in society is held merely because their ancestors were better thieves than ours. 

I like bowing, think it's a wonderful sign of respect, when you are in Japan the train driver bows, the ticket collecter, hotel receptionists, bar staff and it's great giving them a bow back.

Is it because they lost WW2 they can't stop doing it? If only they had won.

I actually think I prefer a bow to a handshake. 

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

I like bowing, think it's a wonderful sign of respect, when you are in Japan the train driver bows, the ticket collecter, hotel receptionists, bar staff and it's great giving them a bow back.

they bow with a different context though - it's not reserved for anyone. in tokyo people in 7-11 bow to you when you buy a beer. it's a polite greeting. 

in the UK bowing is reserved for people of 'stature' or royalty. it's not the same.

I loved bowing and being bowed at in japan but I'll be ****ed if I'm bowing to anybody in this country in the kind of context that TM bows to royalty lol. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yep I shouldn’t be expected to touch other people as a normalised greeting - nodding would be better...

Oh we’ve been down this road before ? 

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yep I shouldn’t be expected to touch other people as a normalised greeting - nodding would be better...

Oh we’ve been down this road before ? 

Yep. I'm as touchy feely as it gets lol

I actually feel weird if I haven't touched someone after being introduced, a nice bow could sort that out.

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's a completely different thing in Japan, with very complicated rules governing the depth of the bow.

Bowing to the Royals is just obsequious.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Buce said:

It's a completely different thing in Japan, with very complicated rules governing the depth of the bow.

Bowing to the Royals is just obsequious.

Rep point for obsequious - wonderful word.

I love how the bow can go on and on in Japan regarding the depth and respect. 

While I don't dislike the Royal family as an institution, I've got no time for gratuitous shows of genuflection to people who up until that moment would likely never know nor care that I exist.

But then I'm not a fan of the obvious divisions based on class in the UK (similar, though thankfully not quite as bad, as the divisions based on race in the US) and how they're often used to subdue meritocracy anyway.

35 minutes ago, Buce said:

Fair enough. 

From the Royal family website...

There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms.

I guess if TM, or me, or anyone wishes to observe the traditional forms then that's our choice :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

From the Royal family website...

There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms.

I guess if TM, or me, or anyone wishes to observe the traditional forms then that's our choice :thumbup:

Yep, it's purely a matter of choice.

Just as it's my choice to have contempt for those that choose to do it.

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

Another broken promise.

Typical Tory... lol

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Brexit's evil everyone.

Aaaand within 5 minutes of trying to get them to explain why Brexit is evil, I get blocked. That person right there is exactly the reason why Brexit happened, and they'll never understand why.

44 minutes ago, MattP said:

I actually feel weird if I haven't touched someone after being introduced, a nice bow could sort that out.

Yes but not being willing to shake hands could get you your citenship denied....

(I think that was the thread...)

on an aside I’m touchy-feely too, to a point but not when the person I’m being introduced to is a limp, snotting, dribly - warm /wet handed slimy person with skin textures clearly defined by an underpinning lack of hygiene. I think in such instances I should be allowed a defensive push on to the floor then perhaps a bow.

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Aaaand within 5 minutes of trying to get them to explain why Brexit is evil, I get blocked. That person right there is exactly the reason why Brexit happened, and they'll never understand why.

Nah I don’t think it is.

42 minutes ago, MattP said:

Think you are missing Buce's point here, Matt. It's about the meaning of  "bowing" in Japan. It's like saying "cheers, mate" or "thanks" to an Englishmen for example. I have a bit of knowledge about the Japanese people and bowing became like a habit to them. A person will bow to you if you opened the door for them or saved their life. It lost some of its meaning because it isn't reserved for certain people or occasions.

Bowing to someone (for anyone else) is seen as a sign of the other human being superior to you instead of just "good manners" for the Japanese

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, MattP said:

Let's not start on hugging again.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Fair enough. 

lol 

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

Probably dude, but I happen to think that she's massively struggling to push the 'what the people voted for' rhetoric and she knows that Brexit is going to be a disaster but she's going to push on anyway. I can't forgive that. She clearly values self-preservation and her stature over doing the best thing for the populous of the country she represents - I find that disgusting. Her gangly ways and awkward demeanour aren't her fault but I don't think it's acceptable for the leader of a country like this to have those mannerisms. She inspires zero confidence in her own party or party followers and it's not helping in the current situation.

I'm trying real hard to be less pessimistic and judgemental in general at the moment but man, she's just awful.

I don't get this argument.

What more 'status' do people think she wants? She's the PM and she's already got the top job.

The people voted for Brexit and it's her job to implement what the people asked for. Not sure what's so disgusting about that tbh

• Like 3