Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

2 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Bless her. Always seems so tortured beneath that thin veil of pained cheerfulness

I think she is tortured.

Personal stuff like never being able to have kids, injecting herself with insulin six times a day and not being naturally empathetic, plus the professional realisation that she's in an impossible job that's probably beyond her. 

No-one will sympathise with her for sure, but I do have some empathy for her (as @Facecloth keeps reminding me :P.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think she is tortured.

Personal stuff like never being able to have kids, injecting herself with insulin six times a day and not being naturally empathetic, plus the professional realisation that she's in an impossible job that's probably beyond her. 

No-one will sympathise with her for sure, but I do have some empathy for her (as @Facecloth keeps reminding me :P.

Never noticed mate :ph34r:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think she is tortured.

I don't hate her. She's guided by her own set of principles, although I don't share them or particularly like where they come from. I do feel almost sorry for her, though she did attempt to use the critical situation the country was in to her own advantage. There are few people I genuinely have no empathy for, and she's not one of them.

I despise Cameron, a man who believes in positively nothing, who could quite possibly have broken up the United Kingdom and seriously damaged this country and Europe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't hate her. She's guided by her own set of principles, although I don't share them or particularly like where they come from. I do feel almost sorry for her, though she did attempt to use the critical situation the country was in to her own advantage. There are few people I genuinely have no empathy for, and she's not one of them.

I despise Cameron, a man who believes in positively nothing, who could quite possibly have broken up the United Kingdom and seriously damaged this country and Europe.

In what way did she attempt to use it to her own advantage?

Genuine question, not looking for an argument :)

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

In what way did she attempt to use it to her own advantage?

Genuine question, not looking for an argument :)

She called for a snap election, at a terrible time, expecting to hugely strengthen her position as PM.

All she did was weaken the country. Significantly.

Edited by Max Wall

8 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

She called for a snap election, at a terrible time, expecting to hugely strengthen her position as PM.

All she did was weaken the country. Significantly.

I imagine most people would have done the same in her position wouldn't they? When you say expecting to strengthen her position as PM, is that the same as increasing the conservative party majority?

I think she's admitted she ran a crap campaign and it backfired as you say.

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

58 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We aren’t far off from our opinions but I see it as, the EUs failure to reform adds weight to the far right and leaves people who start off concerned, with no where left to turn but the far right.

National identity is seriously important to some people, me included and some EU policies feel like a suppression of this.

When you dramatically increase the population of a country/continent and services get worse and people get poorer, you are going to push people that way.

Its easy to blame brexit but this is more than just the UK.

Yeah, I think we have the same worries.

I totally agree that national identity is important to some folks and the problems are being felt all across Europe, but IMO given history there is no justification for turning to neofascists, even if they're offering everything you want plus a free puppy. None. Not when the history is clear that the corollary of that is the wholesale oppression and maybe deportation and death of anyone they deem "undesirable" (read any brown people, any LGBT people and probably Jewish people).  

I said this to Innovidil yesterday that this then puts some folks in a really difficult position where they feel unlistened to be anyone but the far right when it comes to their concerns...but even so, if they turn to them they share in carrying the can for what they do and every life they stamp into the mud.

Edited by leicsmac

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

I imagine most people would have done the same in her position wouldn't they?

Maybe so Izzy. However, she really should have sensed the almost revolutionary attitude in the air around that time and left well alone. Scores of votes at that point in history were showing signs of protest style results and I think some more strategic thinkers may just have done that had they been in her position. Of course that's all conjecture and we'll never know for sure but a more astute politician (or a better advised one) may just have arrived at a different decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I swore I would never get involved in the politics thread on here. I'm already on this bloody site way too much.

Time for a back peddle to the safety of sport methinks.

Mate you've probably got less chance of getting banned on here than you have on the sports threads lol

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think she is tortured.

No-one will sympathise with her for sure, but I do have some empathy the hots for her (as @Facecloth keeps reminding me :P.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Mate you've probably got less chance of getting banned on here than you have on the sports threads lol

Fair point mate lol. Maybe this is my true home. Even more dangerous drinking and coming onto this thread though I imagine. Especially if we're trailing 2-1 to Europe in extra time with not long left.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I imagine most people would have done the same in her position wouldn't they? When you say expecting to strengthen her position as PM, is that the same as increasing the conservative party majority?

Her position personally and the party majority. Both go hand in hand really. I suspect she already felt the need to strengthen her personal position at that point and that was at the basis of her decision though. Again though, that's just my opinion.

As you said though, it backfired spectacularly. 

15 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Fair point mate lol. Maybe this is my true home. Even more dangerous drinking and coming onto this thread though I imagine. Especially if we're trailing 2-1 to Europe in extra time with not long left.

Get to the Trump thread man, (almost) everyone agrees there :D

Edited by leicsmac

5 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Ah good, so everyone thinks he's the second coming, like I do, over there then?  :ph34r:

Just now, Buce said:

If you mean as in ejaculation, then yes.

Watery aftermath? That does rather sum him up.

• Haha 1

Just now, lifted*fox said:

@Max Wall just get out man, while you can.

honestly, this thread is a ****ing circus and you're better of without it. 

trust me. 

Thinking of going up market anyway. I've seen a comment about Sarah Platt looking fit in the Corrie thread. Laters lifted*

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

@Max Wall just get out man, while you can.

honestly, this thread is a ****ing circus and you're better of without it. 

trust me. 

PS hadn't you considered my name might be Maxine? Everyone says I have big hands but I think your post is unnecessarily inflammatory tbh. I try my hardest with what I have.

Edited by Max Wall

8 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

it didn't cross my mind at all tbh.

i'm stoned so I just thought you were called max and look like the guy in your avatar.

:cool:

lol

I'm not called Max, I am a bloke and I don't look like John Lennon. Zero out of two lifted, lay off the weed mate lol

Oh, and a doob smoker so we at least have something in common. :thumbup:

Edit - Christ, that'll teach me, I thought I was replying in the Corrie thread. Apologies to all expecting serious posts in here.

Edited by Max Wall

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

lol

I'm not called Max, I am a bloke and I don't look like John Lennon. Zero out of two lifted, lay off the weed mate lol

Oh, and a doob smoker so we at least have something in common. :thumbup:

Bet you look good in skintight leggings and a dinner jacket at least.

• Haha 1