Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Do you get long-tailed tits on your feeders, @Countryfox?

I've never seen them before but we appear to have attracted a flock of them this morning. Queueing up they are.

Saw loads of long tailed tits in the Morrisons/Local Hero/Odeon car park before the Sevilla home match this year of all places

4 hours ago, Buce said:

We had loads last year.

Why does Mrs Para say that? :huh:

I think she read it somewhere.

Since we had the tree 3-4 yrs ago the olives have never really reach a size where you could pic and eat them.

This summer we repotted it into a much larger and there are lots of flowers on it so hopefully we might get a crop.

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

We have an olive tree in a big pot but the fruit never gets big enough to eat.

Edit: Mrs Para says you can't eat them anyway.

33 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I think she read it somewhere.

Since we had the tree 3-4 yrs ago the olives have never really reach a size where you could pic and eat them.

This summer we repotted it into a much larger and there are lots of flowers on it so hopefully we might get a crop.

Show Mrs Parafox this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cure-Olives

• Like 1

So, I rent and have therefore never put huge amounts of time into my garden. I thought this year I' d try to sort it out.

The bottom half of the lawn was a few strips of turf that hadn't taken a few years ago when I moved in and over the years that half has become a stinging nettle patch. It is an area that is in shade due to a large tree, a garage and a tall fence. 

Can any of our more green-fingered folk tell me:

• What is the best way to get rid of stinging nettles properly and for good?
  • Is there a way to get a lawn to grow in shady conditions - perhaps a hardy variety of grass seed?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, toddybad said:

So, I rent and have therefore never put huge amounts of time into my garden. I thought this year I' d try to sort it out.

The bottom half of the lawn was a few strips of turf that hadn't taken a few years ago when I moved in and over the years that half has become a stinging nettle patch. It is an area that is in shade due to a large tree, a garage and a tall fence. 

• Is there a way to get a lawn to grow in shady conditions - perhaps a hardy variety of grass seed?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/11684266/Alan-Titchmarsh-how-to-get-the-perfect-lawn.html

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=714

https://www.gardenseeker.com/weeds/kill_stinging_nettles.htm

53 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Nettles are a bitch, but can be got rid of by digging them out.  This may be a bit tricky, depending on what your soil is like.  If you have heavy soil, it's not so easy to separate the soil from the roots.  If you don't get the roots out, they will probably grow back.  Personally, I would strim them down to a few inches in height (or mow them down if you can on a high setting) & then spray them with weedkiller.  It may take a couple of applications of weedkiller, but it will clear them eventually.  As long as the active ingredient in the weedkiller is glysophate (e.g. Roundup) it should clear that area after a few weeks.  Glysophate will kill grass & small plants as well though - so be careful what you spray & don't do it on a windy day.

There's loads of grass seed available for shaded areas (usually high in fescue seed).  Have a look on Amazon.  Growing from seed at this time of year can be a bit of a ball ache, as it will need regular watering.  Spring or autumn is usually a good time of year when the rain will generally do the watering for you & the ground doesn't dry out so quickly.

Edited by pSinatra

Just now, cambridgefox said:

Noisy sods too.

we have them in the orchard behind us.Very nervous.

Indeed.

Ours seems to spend more time ground feeding than in the trees, though.

Just now, Buce said:

Indeed.

Ours seems to spend more time ground feeding than in the trees, though.

Same here.When in the trees they hug so close to the trunk and are motionless.

beautiful mind you.

Talking of which,I'm on the road and rather than have my lunch in a Tescos car park ,I try to find somewhere nice.

Today Fowlmere RSPB.Kingfisher,Hobby,water vole and more turtle doves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, toddybad said:

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, pSinatra said:

Nettles are a bitch, but can be got rid of by digging them out.  This may be a bit tricky, depending on what your soil is like.  If you have heavy soil, it's not so easy to separate the soil from the roots.  If you don't get the roots out, they will probably grow back.  Personally, I would strim them down to a few inches in height (or mow them down if you can on a high setting) & then spray them with weedkiller.  It may take a couple of applications of weedkiller, but it will clear them eventually.  As long as the active ingredient in the weedkiller is glysophate (e.g. Roundup) it should clear that area after a few weeks.  Glysophate will kill grass & small plants as well though - so be careful what you spray & don't do it on a windy day.

There's loads of grass seed available for shaded areas (usually high in fescue seed).  Have a look on Amazon.  Growing from seed at this time of year can be a bit of a ball ache, as it will need regular watering.  Spring or autumn is usually a good time of year when the rain will generally do the watering for you & the ground doesn't dry out so quickly.

Good advice there from pS ...     if it is just nettles and you don't want to kill off the grass perhaps one of these two might be an alternative ...    Weedol good for the nettles but if there are other things (brambles) then the SBK ..   :)

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

My favourite though Bucey ...   Figs ...   have to wait till they turn deep purple but then get in quick before the wasps ..  just eaten straight away or sliced and put on a wheaty biscuit with a slice of hard cheese drizzled with honey is just fantastic ! ...   dribbling thinking about it !!  :thumbup:

We seem to have a bumper crop too !!

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Buce said:

Nah, I think he must be Lord @Countryfox to own that much land.

You can squeeze it all into less than an acre Bucey and rent a bit of a field from the farmer next door for the livestock ...   :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

You can squeeze it all into less than an acre Bucey and rent a bit of a field from the farmer next door for the livestock ...   :thumbup:

Don't give me that.

You obviously chose Countryfox as your username because your garden is the size of one. :D

• Like 1

Blimey Country Fox's garden looks great ... love it when you can eat/drink from your own produce ... although when I've had a go its usually a disaster.

Well done Mr fox and the vixen that you share the land with.

Sods law the plants were watered 25 minutes ago and now its started to p*** it down.

Edited by RODNEY FERNIO

Really wish I didn't plant a Leylandii in my garden 10 years ago when I bought my house. Fvcking thing is taller than my house now and my new neighbour has started giving me ear ache over it blocking sunlight into her garden. There's another tree next to said Leylandii (and off my property in a council-owned park) that would also block her sunlight even if I cut my tree down so she's shit out of luck it seems.

1 hour ago, separator said:

Really wish I didn't plant a Leylandii in my garden 10 years ago when I bought my house. Fvcking thing is taller than my house now and my new neighbour has started giving me ear ache over it blocking sunlight into her garden. There's another tree next to said Leylandii (and off my property in a council-owned park) that would also block her sunlight even if I cut my tree down so she's shit out of luck it seems.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2010%2F09%2F07%2Farticle-1309450-0B0ED3CE000005DC-109_634x403.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-1309450%2FPlymouth-35ft-trees-Residents-demand-action-neighbours-leylandii-cypress.html&docid=gt0cNeIA9IqJYM&tbnid=sg_NaQ8d_4aO_M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjoweHo1vXUAhWFiRoKHRD5AXwQMwgwKAAwAA..i&w=634&h=403&client=ms-android-motorola&bih=280&biw=592&q=leylandii nuisance&ved=0ahUKEwjoweHo1vXUAhWFiRoKHRD5AXwQMwgwKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

I don't think it looks so bad

• Like 1