Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Saw this young rook earlier today ..  obviously couldn’t fly and was keeping a very low profile as my two mutts wandered by ...  hope he fares well. 

2C11A842-D8B8-4DD2-AA24-EE35B58F8BE6.jpeg

Nice pic,I can never get close enough to the birds to get a decent photo..

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rico said:

Dont go rushing straight to the photo... what about a kiss boy!

John Cleese interview – Monty Python reunion – Time Out Comedy ...

Edited by ozleicester
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, rico said:

I kept my eyes open this morning for the young rook from yesterday and eventually spotted it ...   I managed to get really close and luckily it didn’t move away ...   I just must be very good at it ...   weird ...   :)

4D6711AD-8D24-4FC2-A372-5A419CFF2D00.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kopic said:

We came across this in our garden the other day, wasn't sure what it was. Stayed there a while, didn't see what happened to it but didn't find any feathers on the floor.

20200609_120524.jpg

It's a thrush chick ..:thumbup:

Fairly sure its the more common Song Thrush as opposed to the larger Mistle thrush ...    ..  :thumbup:

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Are you sure it's not a juvenile Robin? 

Blimey ..  good shout !! ...  no I’m not 100% sure ...  here are the images below ...   I based it mainly on the fact it looked a bit younger and more ‘fluffy’ ...   good spot though and that was a close second as to what I thought it was ...   you’ll have to join our twitchers thread !! ...  :thumbup:

89740AC6-0370-489A-B2A8-5E664E4E80BA.jpeg

5D0FA3AE-67AD-4FFF-A6FD-45B41A4624BF.png

• Like 1

I sent some phone footage to a friend in Miami of my cats climbing high in a lilac tree in pursuit of a family of Magpies. The Magpies are far too intelligent to be bothered by this nonsense but nonetheless call at them provocatively with their guttural clatter - knowing that they aren't sufficiently agile whilst balanced so high in the upper boughs of the tree, they sometimes hop onto their backs - it really is most entertaining to watch. As I said, I sent some video of this to Miami also incorporating unremarkable garden flora and fauna including my roses, a climbing honeysuckle, a family of blackbirds and a red squirrel drey and he responded with a nurse shark, a stingray, an Alligator in a local pond and some manatees in the Everglades. Oh well. Hoping to respond with a wood pigeon or two. 

• Haha 1

oRw3cjOP_o.jpg

So this is the current state of my "side garden" which has been neglected for years. Plan is to tear it all down, cover it in stones and make it into a planter veggie garden. Soil is like clay and hard to shift anything. Anyone know of any magic ways to clear everything out? So far my genius brother who considers himself a good gardener has said we should just set it on fire. 

Save me please. lol