Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

I think this is the closest I’ve got to a deer in the wild ... about 20 yards ...  this young yearling roe buck needs to ‘buck’ his ideas up (see what I did there ! ..  :)) ....    as roe bucks are in season for shooting ...  :o

5565A02D-3F52-49F3-B590-4517ED8C1095.jpeg

• Like 1

Come on then Foxeatalk. 

I need recommendations for a lawn mower. Preferably rear roller so I can do stripes on the grass 🤓 ideally cordless too... :)

Or if anyone is itk, can lawnmowers have striping kits added to them?

Edited by Ashley

On 29/06/2020 at 19:34, Dahnsouff said:

Was a scaredy cat in not stealthily getting my camera, but we had what must have been 10-20 long tailed tits in the garden last week, and they seemed to having a lovely time together!

Love long tailed tits. They have the cutest little faces! Just bought the husband one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y8QF2XF?pf_rd_r=Z44TQATWDR0V9VXNTRHT&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e fingers crossed we can tempt the local jays to come and eat from it (as I saw in one review)! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Love long tailed tits. They have the cutest little faces! Just bought the husband one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y8QF2XF?pf_rd_r=Z44TQATWDR0V9VXNTRHT&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e fingers crossed we can tempt the local jays to come and eat from it (as I saw in one review)! 

They are, such cheeky little things flitting around like maniacs, and it’s funny you mention Jay’s, as they often spend some time in the front garden after the juveniles come out. It always surprises me quite how big they are too!

34 minutes ago, rachhere said:

As much as a jay is an attractive bird,they would eat young fledglings.like your Long Tailed Tits.

im getting loads of baby Blue Tits on the feeder.Mum,dad and 5 fledglings the other day.Quite a success to see so many survivors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

As much as a jay is an attractive bird,they would eat young fledglings.like your Long Tailed Tits.

im getting loads of baby Blue Tits on the feeder.Mum,dad and 5 fledglings the other day.Quite a success to see so many survivors.

Oh goodness, don't say that! 

We have quite a variety, but my favs are the robins who are just so friendly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was putting in some shrubs today round a friends cottage and he seemed impressed with how I put them in ...  so just thought I’d share ...  might help someone ..  :)

Get shrub/plant out of pot when decided where it’s going.  Dig rough hole and put pot in.  Fill in all round pot with compost and bed down.  Twist pot and remove ...  put shrub in ...  perfect fit !  ....  :thumbup:

0313A6EE-FD30-4684-8867-85505372B8E9.jpeg

725D772F-2A2F-4B87-AE0C-4219276C780B.jpeg

DF428E24-87CE-449E-A4AD-3A992DE28865.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Looks like a tortoiseshell,a very dull tortoiseshell.

I did look at that but its predominantly black with shiny black markings...

I've got a (very) big Norwegian Fir tree in my garden that's dying back and dropping needles all over the lawn beneath (and on next doors astro-turf). So I've got tree fellers (might only be two, not sure) coming round in 3 weeks to chop it down. 

Problem I will have is that my garden will be exposed by a neighbours window so I'll need to fill the gap with a new tree. Any ideas what will be good? 

Doesn't need to flower or produce fruit but needs to provide screening whilst looking interesting. Possibly evergreen but not keen on a conifer. 

12 hours ago, FLAN said:

Hard work buying a shed these days. Almost all have 6 weeks delivery time 

It’s been difficult trying to buy anything for the garden at all since around the end of April. Unless you want to spend an arm & a leg. Garden furniture is like rocking horse shit where I am living! There’s a joke there somewhere 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...