Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

3 hours ago, Rain King said:

Saw a couple of hedgehogs in the garden last week so set up a wildlife camera close to the spot I saw them.

It records and takes a photo every time something passes in front of it. So far only got cats, pigeons and a frog.

Did exactly the same last year, expected to see some hedgehogs but all I got was some vain cat staring at the camera :mad:

• Haha 3

Can anyone recommend how to get life back into a patchy lawn (Mainly caused by my dog p*****g all over it).

Gave it the first cut of the year at the weekend and have put some grass seed down in the patches but I don't hold much hope.

32 minutes ago, LVocey said:

Can anyone recommend how to get life back into a patchy lawn (Mainly caused by my dog p*****g all over it).

Gave it the first cut of the year at the weekend and have put some grass seed down in the patches but I don't hold much hope.

My grand pops used to say if you're seeding the lawn and it's not pissing it down then all you're doing is feeding the birds. 

Hope this helps. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LVocey said:

I’ve had 5 years of this struggle, you aren’t getting round it.

3 hours ago, LVocey said:

55 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve had 5 years of this struggle, you aren’t getting round it.

Yeah dog piss and poop kills grass. 

Unless you can get them to do their business anywhere else? 

Been tidying up outside today ...  staked and tied this camellia japonica (nuccios pearl) as the wind was bending it a bit and the heads were drooping ....   now looks the business.   And note the smart looking stake is from an old black bamboo bush that I cut right back during lockdown ...  really blends in well ...  (bamboo roots take some bloody shifting !!) 

IMG_5966.jpg.a322b6a148167784ab73edc01a2380ab.jpg

IMG_5976.jpg

• Like 4

And now for a wildlife post ...  found this buzzard this afternoon whilst out with the hounds ...   injuries just under its wing ...   i found it midway between a red kite nest and a raven nest ...   both capable of doing it ...  tough one to call ...  

IMG_5964.jpg

• Sad 2

On 30/03/2021 at 09:41, LVocey said:

Take the bare patches, put grass seed down and put some topsoil in top. Flatten and water. It will take several weeks to germinate.

We used to put a squirt of tomato ketchup in the dogs dinner at each meal time. This can help by altering the dogs per.  Google it.  You can also get some supplements to put in the dogs water bowl, but buying a cheap Tommy k  is cheaper.  It does help, but doesn’t eliminate it.

Also, make sure you clear the pop up as quick as you can after they have done it.

Currently redoing my Garden and have ordered 4 Tonnes of screened top soil.

I would highly recommend Wanlip Sand & Gravel. They undercut my second cheapest price by £140 and the quality is spot on.

Not a company i would have ever used before being recommended as it feels more secure going to Garden Centres etc who probably just buy from Wanlip themselves and charge you the premium!

On 30/03/2021 at 09:41, LVocey said:

More than do'able if you put some time and effort in to it.

1) Don't let your dog continue to go toilet on the garden as it will never improve, even if you clean it up quickly it will kill the grass.

2) Rake the patchy area to loosen the soil, evenly scatter lawn seed and then sprinkle over top soil or compost (Helps it germinate and prevents the birds having an easy dinner).

3) Water regularly (Morning & Night) but never when the sun is directly on it as the sun on the water will burn your grass.

It will take time and effort but i have no doubt you will be able to get your lawn looking great. You can also use the fertilizers or the 2 in 1 fertilizers which also make your grass a lot greener and i would recommend using them but you must make sure its an even coverage as too much in one area will also burn and kill your grass.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 23:08, Rain King said:

Saw a couple of hedgehogs in the garden last week so set up a wildlife camera close to the spot I saw them.

It records and takes a photo every time something passes in front of it. So far only got cats, pigeons and a frog.

Went out to the dustbin last night after dark. Heard lots of heavy breathing and realised immediately what it was. Two hedgehogs indulging in the most comical mating ritual imaginable. Putting peanuts and a saucer of water out on the lawn before dark every night seems to be a good way of attracting them.

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2021 at 06:54, Countryfox said:

This little chap was roosting on my wall yesterday ..  not an ideal place  ..  he should be at home with his mates ..  

4C778378-9E70-47B7-9754-0EB5F5244B56.jpeg

Found this one on the floor near my back gate ...   I'd take a huge guess and say it's the long eared brown bat ...    think he must have been on the sauce with @ScouseFox ...   anyway, he's now sleeping it off in my shed on an old bit of carpet.     (The bat not scouse .. ) ...    :)

IMG_6315.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right now we have a robin in our apple tree singing it's heart out. I never knew such a small bird could be so loud or have such a tuneful song.

So much more pleasant and musical than the dull pigeons we seem to be surrounded by. 

Mindfulness in that moment, for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Right now we have a robin in our apple tree singing it's heart out. I never knew such a small bird could be so loud or have such a tuneful song.

So much more pleasant and musical than the dull pigeons we seem to be surrounded by. 

Mindfulness in that moment, for me.

Would it help further if I clarified that robins are extremely aggressive and territorial and your robins song was essentially an elongated "I'm here you cvnts now fvck off."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Travelled through a few areas of the country in the latter part of May and it was nice to see so many places embrace No mow May (even better if they seeded areas as well for future). Disappointing to see that round here at least, they couldn’t wait until the calendar clicked over to June to pointlessly cut everything to within a millimetre of its life again.

Posted this in the houses thread as well so I'm repeating myself but these beauties live in next door's garden and are very happy lounging around in it... (the neighbours neglect their garden)

1948291576_DSC_0844copy.thumb.jpg.43514a688a89d42f735ae006157d4c67.jpg

1609331430_DSC_0850copy.jpg.e56306d313ac7d550047a5f8f46bbcc8.jpg

1353904192_DSC_0854copy.thumb.jpg.14180f89a91cfa84c789f93a4248529d.jpg

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 2