Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 21:49, String fellow said:

This evening, some loud snorting sounds came from my back garden. That could indicate only one thing - two hedgehogs. If anyone has ever watched the mating ritual of hedgehogs, it's one of the funniest things you'll ever see.   

Watched a pair of hedgehogs some years back.

Kept waiting for him to get on with it.

I went back indoors after an hour!

• Like 1

Incidentally how do people consider cormorants?

Traditionally a sea bird that’s become dominant on inland waterways in the last couple of decades.

Technically protected but have decimated fish stocks especially on commercial fisheries and fishery owners shoot them to protect their livelyhooods.

But then you would wouldn’t you ?

On 01/05/2020 at 10:41, woollett the bullet said:

Incidentally how do people consider cormorants?

Traditionally a sea bird that’s become dominant on inland waterways in the last couple of decades.

Technically protected but have decimated fish stocks especially on commercial fisheries and fishery owners shoot them to protect their livelyhooods.

But then you would wouldn’t you ?

Always preferred the Shag.

:blush: what am I 12? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Realise this is an absolutely terrible photo, zoomed in on my Mrs' phone, but any idea what this bird is? (It's not Orville)

Seems quite thick set and fluffy head. Keeps landing on an aerial across the road 

Screenshot_20200503-161537.png

Edited by pds

1 hour ago, pds said:

Realise this is an absolutely terrible photo, zoomed in on my Mrs' phone, but any idea what this bird is? (It's not Orville)

Seems quite thick set and fluffy head. Keeps landing on an aerial across the road 

Looks like the rare Stout Black Weathervane, quite a coup :thumbup:

• Haha 3

On 03/05/2020 at 16:16, pds said:

I can't tell whether it is even a bird   :dunno:

On 03/05/2020 at 16:16, pds said:

@Darkon84

Is this the guy with the massive cock in your WhatsApp group? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Does anyone know what is the best soil to grow chilli, paper, and naga etc? Got a fancy little kit from the wife cos she knows I like hot chillies but didnt want to waste them. Looked on YouTube and seen about 50 different ways so I thought il ask here.

Thanks in advance  :)

Edited by TeamRocket

6 hours ago, pds said:

😂

I did say it was a terrible photo. 

It was quite thick set with a fluffy head.

Aha !! ..   got it now ! ..     it’s a Trump bird ! ..   and as you’ve said it’s thick set it’s obviously a male ..  or cock ..   :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

No photos to share unfortunately, but I'm seeing plenty of good wildlife from where i work at home. A great spotted woodpecker has recently decided to start using the bird feeder, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, and even the local Red Kites have become more prevalent. I believe there's a nest between Broughton and Dunton, plus there are plenty of Hare's around the fields when out on a walk. Lovely stuff!

Shame to see the Peregrine's on Leicester Cathedral have given up on their eggs though, there'll be no new chicks there this year :( 

• Sad 1

Saw an owl on my walk tonight, pretty cool.

Also, I suspected I had a hedgehog living under my decking so I kept putting dog food out and it kept going. I then decided to put my CCTV camera under the decking... just been feeding a little mouse haven’t I.

• Like 2