Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City1884

Other teams signings so far

So I know there is still a fair bit of time left in the window, but I've just been reviewing the signings that the other premier league clubs have made.

Apart from the top 7, I'm very underwhelmed by everyone else's signings.

I can list a maximum of about 10 players who stand out to me as decent signings for the other clubs, and it's giving me a bit more confidence for this season.

I can see a lot of teams struggling, with IMO only Bournemouth & West Ham doing decent business.

What does everyone else think?

Here's the few I would class as decent signings:

Bournemouth - Begovic, Defoe, Ake

Newcastle - Atsu

Swansea - Abraham

Watford - Chalobah

West Brom - Rodriguez

West Ham - Hart, Arnautovic, Hernandez, Zabaleta

There will obviously be a couple of decent signings that appear from nowhere for other clubs this season, like every season, but the rest don't strike me as impressive at all thus far...............

Hernandez at West Ham was a great signing. Just whether you can get the players to gel.

our recruitment has been good so far but I fear without creativity through the middle we might struggle this season. A Santi Cazorla type and I think we would be ok ??

3 minutes ago, ronnup said:

Everton. Clearly. 

Did anyone watch Everton last night? 

How did they look? I think they might struggle, lot of attacking talent from midfield, gonna be hard to keep them all happy, especially if they get Siggy as well.

losing Lukaku is massive. 7th finish again for them I reckon 

2 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Did anyone watch Everton last night? 

How did they look? I think they might struggle, lot of attacking talent from midfield, gonna be hard to keep them all happy, especially if they get Siggy as well.

losing Lukaku is massive. 7th finish again for them I reckon 

I can see them around 7th again too, Lukaku is a massive loss, and I may be wrong, but I don't see Sandro Ramirez or Rooney being the answer for them. Creatively, I think they are all set, but they still need a top striker to replace Lukaku's goals.

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Bournemouth don't shock a few people this season. Can easily  envisage them finishing in the top half. 

I agree, they seem to be pushing on, where others look (so far) to be no better, if not worse than last season.

4 minutes ago, City1884 said:

I worry for teams like Watford, Crystal Palace, the 3 that came up, and even Southampton. 

Burnley & Swansea aren't exactly bringing in anyone worthwhile either, but to me they look more stable than the others.

Watford nailed on for relegation this season.. Their signings have been poor! 

On paper I feel like West Ham have made the best signings. But last year they also tried to sign proven players in Fonte and Snodgrass and it didn't work out so well for them, so there is no guarantee.However, I feel they will do well, albeit their problem will be that their signings are ageing, will have little sell-on value and will be on expensive wages. I think they will be a very interesting case study this year.

Everton have signed a mixed bag. They definitely got some good players, but losing Lukaku is massive and it will be hard to gel all of their players together at once. Koeman is a good coach though.

Bournemouth signing Defoe could be great for them. They are a very solid team and with a proven goalscorer who probably has one eye on the World Cup they could improve on last year's 9th. Their other signings have been decent too.

The Manchester clubs have been odd. United have signed 3 expensive players but not addressed their primary problem from last year, which is that they weren't creative enough. Lukaku is class, but Zlatan was already a candidate for player of the year. Manchester City have smashed records for defenders but still don't have any defenders other than Kompany who can actually defend. When he was at Barcelona, Pep had Puyol and Busquets who were core to the team, but I don't see these types of players in their squad yet. The Premier League is also far less forgiving with teams such as ourselves that will mix it and not just watch them pass us to death. They will score a ton though and unlike Man United will be great to watch.

I think our signings have been really good - probably in the top 5 of the teams in the league in terms of genuine improvements to the team / squad, but the one fear I would have is that we may not have invested enough into a team that is aging as a whole.

Swansea have signed Mesa as well who is a quality player.

All in all though given all the money PL clubs has got, transfers have been relatively slow coming which is because we're all being held to ransom. Hopefully there'll be an influx as the window draws to a close, with several of our shit (Ulloa, King, Musa etc) leaving.

1 hour ago, City1884 said:

I worry for teams like Watford, Crystal Palace, the 3 that came up, and even Southampton. 

Burnley & Swansea aren't exactly bringing in anyone worthwhile either, but to me they look more stable than the others.

I'd class Mesa as a quality signing for Swansea, Tammy Abraham on loan as well. But I agree that Burnley haven't done much.

5 hours ago, ronnup said:

Everton. Clearly. 

5 hours ago, City1884 said:

I was classing them as part of the top 7

Everton are candidates for relegation fighting.

Their front line is led by a dinosaur and an unspectacular number 10.

Their midfield is boring to say the least and their defence has Williams and Jagielka.

People have talked them up big time but I think they'll be the flops of the season.

I have a feeling Everton won't be as good as people think they'll be. Losing Lukaku is a big loss I mean that man carried them last season majority of the times. 

Bournemouth are the ones that stand out. Begovic is a brilliant keeper, Defoe can finish in this league and Ake has so much potential to become a really good defender. I think it's fair to say they'll still be in the PL next season. 

27 minutes ago, FIF said:

Everton are candidates for relegation fighting.

Their front line is led by a dinosaur and an unspectacular number 10.

Their midfield is boring to say the least and their defence has Williams and Jagielka.

People have talked them up big time but I think they'll be the flops of the season.

Hope so 

42 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

I have a feeling Everton won't be as good as people think they'll be. Losing Lukaku is a big loss I mean that man carried them last season majority of the times. 

Bournemouth are the ones that stand out. Begovic is a brilliant keeper, Defoe can finish in this league and Ake has so much potential to become a really good defender. I think it's fair to say they'll still be in the PL next season. 

Especially when they fork out £30m and get Gray. :ph34r::ph34r:

30 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

I've seen Everton a few times over pre-season and while they look decent in midfield and defence... they have nothing up front.

Unless they get a striker in, I can't see them breaking into the top 6.

If I were an Everton fan, I'd want to spent 50m on a striker rather than Sigurdsson.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I've seen Everton a few times over pre-season and while they look decent in midfield and defence... they have nothing up front.

Unless they get a striker in, I can't see them breaking into the top 6.

If I were an Everton fan, I'd want to spent 50m on a striker rather than Sigurdsson.

I agree with this, they shouldn't be wasting their time on Sigurdsson because that is already an area they have sorted

Archived