Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Might belong in the yet-to-be-created "Popular Opinions" thread, but...

If your first language is English, you have no excuse for not being able to distinguish between “there”, “their”, and “they’re”.

The same goes for “your” vs. “you’re” (and also “two”, “too”, and “to”). We're all taught the differences at a relatively early age and these words are so commonplace that getting them consistently wrong is just lazy.

Saying “language is fluid” isn’t appropriate for such a mistake. I think it’s fine to ignore minor mistakes with punctuation and spelling, but using the wrong “there” actually changes the meaning of a sentence (often to nonsense), since the wrong word is being used.

It’s embarrassing and it makes you look a bit daft.

Yeah, people that do that are loosers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

If your first language is English, you have no excuse for not being able to distinguish between “there”, “their”, and “they’re”.

The same goes for “your” vs. “you’re” (and also “two”, “too”, and “to”). We're all taught the differences at a relatively early age and these words are so commonplace that getting them consistently wrong is just lazy.

Saying “language is fluid” isn’t appropriate for such a mistake. I think it’s fine to ignore minor mistakes with punctuation and spelling, but using the wrong “there” actually changes the meaning of a sentence (often to nonsense), since the wrong word is being used.

I'll see your 'there/their/they're' and raise you 'of' instead of 'have' (could of/should of/would of)

Life imprisonment would be too good for these people.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 12:56, MattP said:

It's bloody weird to be honest. No idea why anyone would have one.

I have a Sonos music set, and I bought an extra speaker 18 months ago and Alexa is built in. It’s dreadful, I really don’t get the point.

3 hours ago, daventry_fox said:

My issue isn't that they shouldn't be allowed to fund one, it's that they appear to be pressured into funding them.

Most clubs have been in existence for over a hundred years. If they wanted to fund one so bad they would have done it and pushed it by now.

My other unpopular opinion is why have an unpopular opinion thread if people aren't allowed to express their unpopular opinion on the upopular opinion thread

The teams at the top of the WSL have all been around since the late 80s/early 90s, they didn't just appear yesterday.

I suspect you feel that coverage of women's football is being imposed on you and are projecting that onto the teams themselves.

Who's said you aren't allowed to express your opinion?  Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to question it?

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The teams at the top of the WSL have all been around since the late 80s/early 90s, they didn't just appear yesterday.

I suspect you feel that coverage of women's football is being imposed on you and are projecting that onto the teams themselves.

Who's said you aren't allowed to express your opinion?  Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to question it?

You're being proper stroppy recently, llama.

Aren't you getting any?

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

You're being proper stroppy recently, llama.

Aren't you getting any?

Huh?  Man's complaining about not being allowed to express his opinion even though he has done and it's not been censored or removed.  So clearly he's taken issue with me challenging his points.  I'm not stroppy at all, I love pointing out when people are misinformed... you should know that better than anyone ;)

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Huh?  Man's complaining about not being allowed to express his opinion even though he has done and it's not been censored or removed.  So clearly he's taken issue with me challenging his points.  I'm not stroppy at all, I love pointing out when people are misinformed... you should know that better than anyone ;)

It's not just this thread, though - you seem uncommonly assertive recently, (not a criticism,  just an observation).

1 minute ago, Buce said:

It's not just this thread, though - you seem uncommonly assertive recently, (not a criticism,  just an observation).

Is this because I told Suze not to listen to your foolish views on Scandinavia?

Seriously though I'm really not sure what you're getting at, my posts aren't any different to normal, are they? lol 

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Is this because I told Suze not to listen to your foolish views on Scandinavia?

Seriously though I'm really not sure what you're getting at, my posts aren't any different to normal, are they? lol 

Blimey, I wish I hadn't said anything now.

I can only repeat what I said: you seem a bit more assertive than usual - that isn't a problem or a criticism, merely a throwaway observation.

18 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I get what your saying....I'm a massive offender when it comes to this ??? I get they're. It's there and their it confuses the fook out of me ??

18 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I understand your frustration but maybe you should be blaming the ridiculous pronunciation of words that are written so differently. In a person's head they're, there and their sounds the same so quick typing can often result in typing the wrong one.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I understand your frustration but maybe you should be blaming the ridiculous pronunciation of words that are written so differently. In a person's head they're, there and their sounds the same so quick typing can often result in typing the wrong one.

Am I right in thinking that's an issue peculiar to English?

English has evolved by being influenced strongly by a combination of Germanic, Latin and Gaelic languages which has resulted in a number of homophones with different roots.

7 hours ago, Buce said:

Am I right in thinking that's an issue peculiar to English?

English has evolved by being influenced strongly by a combination of Germanic, Latin and Gaelic languages which has resulted in a number of homophones with different roots.

I reckon it's probably more common in English but the French are pretty fond of a ver vert vers une verre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I reckon it's probably more common in English but the French are pretty fond of a ver vert vers une verre.

Thanks, Carl.

My French is crap so I have no idea what any of that means.

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

Thanks, Carl.

My French is crap so I have no idea what any of that means.

A green (vert) worm (ver) around (vers) a glass (verre).  It's interesting to have 4 entirely separate words pronounced the same, I'm struggling to think of any 4-way homophones in English though I'm sure there must be a few. 

One that genuinely pisses me off in everyday usage is en dessus/en dessous, both sound the same but have literally opposite meanings (on top/beneath).

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

A green (vert) worm (ver) around (vers) a glass (verre).  It's interesting to have 4 entirely separate words pronounced the same, I'm struggling to think of any 4-way homophones in English though I'm sure there must be a few. 

One that genuinely pisses me off in everyday usage is en dessus/en dessous, both sound the same but have literally opposite meanings (on top/beneath).

That's a challenge I can get my teeth into!

Off the top of my head, I can only think of two:

You're/ your/ yore /yaw

Awe/ or/ ore/ oar

Edit:

pause/ paws/ pores/ pours

Edit 2:

right/ rite/ wright/ write

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

The new "lose a friend" thread has motivated me to post this latest unpopular opinion:

Contrary to popular myth Love is one of the most selfish emotions that exist. It is not about "you" but always about "me". What do I get from this "love"? We only give "love" to get it back. Very few continue to "love" someone who doesn't "love" them and if you think of those that do the y are normally getting something bizarre from the relationship that puts their mental situation in question.

The pebble was right about love, not the clod of clay.

I do that more so with there/their/they're but typically only on message boards because of autofill or sheer stupidity (i "fat finger" my virtual keyboard on my phone too much).  I don't understand why it gets under people's skin at that level. Sure, have a chuckle at mistakes i can appreciate that very much haha. It could be your first language but doesn't mean you are great at spelling, punctuation etc. I was an average student in "English" classes. I would score 70% to 75% no matter how hard I tried. I was always hardcore at studying  and putting in late hours so it had nothing to do with being lazy.

Put calculus,  statistics,  algebra, probability theory, computer classes in front of me and will score high 80s to low 90s no problem. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and language can be one of them. It doesn't help when you speak other languages as it can confuse you (or at least those like me who are challenged at spelling/grammar/punctuation). 

Also, i think when it comes to message boards people may tend to just 'type as they talk/think' rather than 'posh' it up a bit. Bosses and colleagues aren't reviewing your work so to speak haha.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

The new "lose a friend" thread has motivated me to post this latest unpopular opinion:

Contrary to popular myth Love is one of the most selfish emotions that exist. It is not about "you" but always about "me". What do I get from this "love"? We only give "love" to get it back. Very few continue to "love" someone who doesn't "love" them and if you think of those that do the y are normally getting something bizarre from the relationship that puts their mental situation in question.

The pebble was right about love, not the clod of clay.

:huh:

Quite enjoying the language discussion, one of the best things about German is the consistency of the pronunciation but there's so many absolute bastard features in the language like verb placement, the number of articles and gendered words. In English you can basically do what you like with verbs which makes things much easier.

• Like 2