Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

13 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

But you just put 10 pin in your dislike list. :huh:

I take it you've not heard of oil patterns, release styles, cores, grains, surface materials etc.  There's tons of variation in 10 pin if you know what you're talking about, completely different kettle to darts.

I'd say farting at the oche was a variable, depending on your diet.

Edited by Bobby Hundreds

16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

But you just put 10 pin in your dislike list. :huh:

I take it you've not heard of oil patterns, release styles, cores, grains, surface materials etc.  There's tons of variation in 10 pin if you know what you're talking about, completely different kettle to darts.

fair enough then....although "release style" is personal isnt it?

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

AFL is unquestionably the best sport to watch, even with its watering down and increased defensive play it offers free flowing skills, hard as nails tackles and moments of amazing talent (Womens AFL is pretty damn good as well)

Golf as a spectator sport is boring, you are just being sucked into "commentators enthusiasm"

Darts - meh

ten pin bowling - zzzzz

Any sport that lacks a variable, eg a physical opponent, an unusual bounce etc is just trhe same thing over and over, lets face it, if you throw little arrows at a target for 4 hours a day, you should be able to throw them pretty accurately.

I’d say the AFL with all the rule changes has progressively gotten worse each season for about 10 seasons now, to the point where I haven’t been to a live game for about 3 years and am yet to watch one on TV yet this season.

When I first moved down under I loved it now, I actually prefer watching League and would rather spend my Weekend watching the Storm.

Huddersfield and Fulham supporters crying at the final whistles this week are just odd!

You have been down for weeks you know this why cry?

I get the tears on the last day of the season and you go down thanks to a last minute own goal for Palace away at Chelsea  and the emotions of the day take over you.

But crying when you’ve been shit all season and you’ve been down since before Christmas is just uncalled for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d say the AFL with all the rule changes has progressively gotten worse each season for about 10 seasons now, to the point where I haven’t been to a live game for about 3 years and am yet to watch one on TV yet this season.

When I first moved down under I loved it now, I actually prefer watching League and would rather spend my Weekend watching the Storm.

Agreed, In all honesty, the change began when it stopped being the VFL - SANFL - WAFL and became the AFL.

It has consistenltly watered down the contact and action, more defensive and more possesion based has lost much of its thrill... having said that, its still(IMO) the most visually entertaining sport going around. It doesnt match real football for skill and purity though :)

lol The storm are just a corrupt team

18 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Agreed, In all honesty, the change began when it stopped being the VFL - SANFL - WAFL and became the AFL.

It has consistenltly watered down the contact and action, more defensive and more possesion based has lost much of its thrill... having said that, its still(IMO) the most visually entertaining sport going around. It doesnt match real football for skill and purity though :)

lol The storm are just a corrupt team

Haha yeah but they are our corrupt team!

Edited by Aus Fox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

fair enough then....although "release style" is personal isnt it?

True but even that is open to changes during the course of a match:  The top pros are able to 'read the lane' and mix their approach up in response to the oil pattern and the changes in lane condition as each throw slowly wears through the oil.

On 03/04/2019 at 13:45, LiberalFox said:

I must be one of the few F1 fans who think the sport is as good as ever right now. The Bahrain GP was one of the best I can remember with cars seemingly able to follow much closer than last year. 

Personally, I think your first few words sum up the state of F1. It's been moved and packaged so only those with the likes of sky can watch all races; rather than it being available to anyone, it's becoming more for those who can pay

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Personally, I think your first few words sum up the state of F1. It's been moved and packaged so only those with the likes of sky can watch all races; rather than it being available to anyone, it's becoming more for those who can pay

Its quite symbolic that watching F1 is only available to the elite few who has afford to pay to watch it rather than making it accessible to everyone, bit like the trying to succeed in the sport itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Its quite symbolic that watching F1 is only available to the elite few who has afford to pay to watch it rather than making it accessible to everyone, bit like the trying to succeed in the sport itself.

Exactly. Gone are the days of freeview TV to watch the races live, people now only watch it if they have sky f1 you can't really 'stumble' into the sport anymore.

On 01/04/2019 at 13:18, TiffToff88 said:

There should be a minimum wage for skilled workers as well as the standard national minimum wage.

I'm all for the rise in the national minimum wage that was announced today, but the wages of skilled workers has not really risen for a long time, the wage gap between skilled and unskilled workers is decreasing rapidly. 

I really think that there should be some sort of minimum wage for skilled workers too. If not, eventually minimum wage will catch up, and there will be very little incentive for people to train in skilled occupations.

@Oxfordfox83 why the confused reaction? I think i have a good point. the wage gap is closing. why would people go through years of training to do a job on the same money as say a shelf stacker or factory picker? (no disrespect intended to those occupations - my wife is a shelf stacker)

6 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

@Oxfordfox83 why the confused reaction? I think i have a good point. the wage gap is closing. why would people go through years of training to do a job on the same money as say a shelf stacker or factory picker? (no disrespect intended to those occupations - my wife is a shelf stacker)

Why not?

If you choose/get the opportunity to train good for you.... but if you dont, why should they be paid less?

11 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I’m not so sure the gap is closing is it?To earn £20000 per year you have to work 45/50 hours a week.Thats if you’re lucky to be offered those hours.Anyone with a degree or a trade or other skill like IT or engineering for example,should be able to command much more.It will always be worth getting a skill.

Both main parties pledged to increase the living wage to 9 quid something by a certain year.Could have been 2020 ish.Cant remember without looking it up.All very admirable and the recent rise is higher than the official inflation rate.The trouble is 4 to 5% of not a lot amounts to not a lot.The main living costs are going up more.

On 04/04/2019 at 23:28, UniFox21 said:

I don't disagree with that, rather I meant the quality of the actual racing is as good as it's ever been. 

On 05/04/2019 at 08:42, TiffToff88 said:

On 01/04/2019 at 13:18, TiffToff88 said:

There should be a minimum wage for skilled workers as well as the standard national minimum wage.

I'm all for the rise in the national minimum wage that was announced today, but the wages of skilled workers has not really risen for a long time, the wage gap between skilled and unskilled workers is decreasing rapidly. 

I really think that there should be some sort of minimum wage for skilled workers too. If not, eventually minimum wage will catch up, and there will be very little incentive for people to train in skilled occupations.

People train and do jobs for all sorts of reasons, and if that happens to involve more money then good news for them. The whole point of paying anyone more is so that they work for you rather than someone else. But you might offer some other benefit (flexibility, more interesting work, additional training, etc.) that is worth more to the worker than the wage difference. 

I guess my confusion is due to the idea of ‘skilled’ being such a nebulous term, and a graded minimum wage a practical impossibility. How would you account for the newly qualified versus the vastly experienced who qualified 10 years ago and hence works quicker and better and earns the company more money? Pay the same? Pay the experienced one more? If experience comes into it too, what about the ‘skilled’ employee who’s been useless for 10 years but has stayed employed, versus the one who qualified top of his/her class and is, a year in, about as good as it gets? Why would you try to legislate for their income?

Employment is a meat market and you choose who you’re prepared to work for and for how much, from the subset of people who might want to employ you. Your wage is a reflection of your value to your employer, alongside your ability to negotiate and compromise. Minimum wage is to protect the unskilled worker from exploitation. They’re two different concepts and it doesn’t make sense to combine them.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 23:28, UniFox21 said:

On 05/04/2019 at 06:42, Nalis said:

You guys know it’s on Sky and not some secret exclusive platform right? No different to almost all football, almost all decent sport in fact. 

2 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

You guys know it’s on Sky and not some secret exclusive platform right? No different to almost all football, almost all decent sport in fact. 

Sky Sports F1 is expensive for what it is. You can get a few BT channels for like 10 quid, just F1 is 10-18 quid and you can watch football from all the top leagues and champions league and cups for that. With F1 you have just F1; its an expensive sport to follow. 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Sky Sports F1 is expensive for what it is. You can get a few BT channels for like 10 quid, just F1 is 10-18 quid and you can watch football from all the top leagues and champions league and cups for that. With F1 you have just F1; its an expensive sport to follow. 

Where’s that? I was paying £31.50 a month for 6 BT channels? 

I currently pay £19 for full Sky sports package in HD. Which I think is good value as I get to watch a lot of Football, Boxing, Cricket & F1.

28 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Where’s that? I was paying £31.50 a month for 6 BT channels? 

I currently pay £19 for full Sky sports package in HD. Which I think is good value as I get to watch a lot of Football, Boxing, Cricket & F1.

Quick Google didn't make it look that expensive, I may be wrong though. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

F1 is included in the full sports package.