Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Why do cab owners/drivers think they have the right to sue because of Uber etc.

Thousands of business models have been destroyed by the internet! You dont hear record stores or CD shops saying the gvt should recompense them

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Why do cab owners/drivers think they have the right to sue because of Uber etc.

Thousands of business models have been destroyed by the internet! You dont hear record stores or CD shops saying the gvt should recompense them

Safety? Stricter levels of regulation?London cabbies certainly have a good cause to complain.I think any kick back against the race to the bottom is a good thing.

10 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I'm seeing an alarming amount of people write "women" when they mean the singular

Probably the same people who write sheep when they mean...

Probably not unpopular - Service charges (AKA Tip) being included onto restaurant bills. I know this is optional, but asking for it to be removed would make you look like a right tight arse.

We should have the choice of how much (if any) we decide to tip. A pre determined tip defeats this.

26 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Probably not unpopular - Service charges (AKA Tip) being included onto restaurant bills. I know this is optional, but asking for it to be removed would make you look like a right tight arse.

We should have the choice of how much (if any) we decide to tip. A pre determined tip defeats this.

I'm not a fan of tipping whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Just now, CollinsLCFC said:

I'm not either to be honest. Only if abroad or the service is spectacular.

Here in the UK, our tips do not make up Waiters/Waitresses wages like in the US. 

A lot of places in continental Europe don't tip though. Maybe round up the bill but not all this 12% bollocks. 

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Safety? Stricter levels of regulation?London cabbies certainly have a good cause to complain.I think any kick back against the race to the bottom is a good thing.

But why should the government (ie taxpayers) be expected to cover their losses? The florists Assoc havent got a law suit demanding they are covered fro their losses, the Hotels assoc dont expect a % of Airbnb revenues to support their losses.

The interent has changed and killed a million business' but for some reason cabbies think they are entitled to a refund on investment.

52 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

But why should the government (ie taxpayers) be expected to cover their losses? The florists Assoc havent got a law suit demanding they are covered fro their losses, the Hotels assoc dont expect a % of Airbnb revenues to support their losses.

The interent has changed and killed a million business' but for some reason cabbies think they are entitled to a refund on investment.

Cabbies have a bit more responsibility though don’t they.Don’t get me wrong I’m sure Uber works for both customers and a lot of their drivers.I know the internet as changed everything but if you can fight back why not?I  can certainly understand why London cabbies want to protect their patch.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I'm not a fan of tipping whatsoever. 

Obviously it’s down to personal choice but it pays dividends in the long run,especially if you use certain restaurants or cab firms regularly.Its appreciated.I did a couple of years of building maintenance for a housing association years back.Quite often the residents would shove a few quid in your hand “to get yourself  a drink”.Always felt guilty taking it but I certainly appreciated it.

26 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Cabbies have a bit more responsibility though don’t they.Don’t get me wrong I’m sure Uber works for both customers and a lot of their drivers.I know the internet as changed everything but if you can fight back why not?I  can certainly understand why London cabbies want to protect their patch.

Black cabs are a funny one. A lot of Londoners will tell you they love having them around but the reality is nobody uses them unless they absolutely have to, aside from City businessmen going to and from meetings, and tourists. Realistically the only difference between black cab drivers and Uber etc is that they know the streets of London by heart rather than via a sat nav, and for that they charge three times as much. It's great that they work hard to qualify and have an intimate knowledge of the city, but it rarely gets you there much faster and the extra expense isn't worth it.

They're an established and distinct workforce and are fairly united in union terms so they can get themselves noticed when they want to, as we've seen recently. But the times are leaving them behind and it doesn't look as if things are going to change enough for them to recover their position. I can't speak for everyone but there's not a lot of sympathy for them when they carry out their protests, they just piss everyone off.

45 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Black cabs are a funny one. A lot of Londoners will tell you they love having them around but the reality is nobody uses them unless they absolutely have to, aside from City businessmen going to and from meetings, and tourists. Realistically the only difference between black cab drivers and Uber etc is that they know the streets of London by heart rather than via a sat nav, and for that they charge three times as much. It's great that they work hard to qualify and have an intimate knowledge of the city, but it rarely gets you there much faster and the extra expense isn't worth it.

They're an established and distinct workforce and are fairly united in union terms so they can get themselves noticed when they want to, as we've seen recently. But the times are leaving them behind and it doesn't look as if things are going to change enough for them to recover their position. I can't speak for everyone but there's not a lot of sympathy for them when they carry out their protests, they just piss everyone off.

I agree they are ridiculously expensive but to be fair they’re also likely to be the first faces that the tourists see.They play a big role in maintaining London’s reputation and if they can make a decent living ferrying rich Americans round,or doing the Heathrow run then good luck to them.We’d miss them if they disappeared.I think there’s a few years in them yet ?

29 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I agree they are ridiculously expensive but to be fair they’re also likely to be the first faces that the tourists see.They play a big role in maintaining London’s reputation and if they can make a decent living ferrying rich Americans round,or doing the Heathrow run then good luck to them.We’d miss them if they disappeared.I think there’s a few years in them yet ?

Well that's it - are they a tourist attraction or are they a proper part of London's public transport offering? It increasingly seems as if its the former and that's just not sustainable.

Edited by ealingfox

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Well that's it - are they a tourist attraction or are they a proper part of London's public transport offering? It increasingly seems as if its the former and that's just not sustainable.

Same could be said about the royal family 

9 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think my issue has been missed, probably cos its not happening in the UK... Here in Australia, the cab owners are sueing the government/me for loss of value/income.

My issue is that all of the other business's that have closed or lost value due to the internet...flrorists, newspapers, Tv stations etc... are not expecting to be paid for change, cab owner are...

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/hundreds-of-taxi-drivers-sue-the-government-after-competition-from-uber-causes-their-licenses-fall-in-value-from-dollar500k-to-just-dollar60000/ar-BBVSqAM

5 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I agree. Don't rip people off and you'll get the work. If you're a tourist attraction then reduce your numbers and accept it.

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

Same could be said about the royal family 

They have been a tourist attraction for a long time. However they are a profitable tourist attraction. It's about time we cut back on the number of hangers on (including kids imo) but having a Queen/ King  is fantastic for the British tourist trade.