Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Even if you did I'd still eat meat.

I've got the biggest leg of lamb this side of Cardiff I'm about to steam into, I was covered in blood just getting it into the oven.

I was thinking about tandoor a leg a lamb, which I marinated in fresh mint, garlic and yogurt

Just to make it relevant to the the thread, Alf and Buce aren't old bastards that need to be put in a home.

Edited by Dr The Singh

18 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It is a bit depressing, declining memory.

I'm pretty good at remembering where I was and what I was doing when. But entire events can escape my memory. The other week, I was telling my brother that I'd been to a gig at the 100 Club for the first time. He reminded me that I'd been to a gig there in my twenties with him and he'd been beaten up in the toilets. I didn't remember any of that, but had a vague recollection of attending the gig with him, once he reminded me - and I've only rarely been to gigs with him, still less ones where he's been beaten up.

How the hell did that escape my brain cells? Alcohol may have been involved...

Same with books. I can remember enjoying reading particular books in the past, but wouldn't be able to tell you anything about what happens in them....aging is crap.....but better than the alternative! :D

As I think we've discussed before, to an extent, old age is an attitude of mind - it's really important to not let the calendar place restrictions on what you can do. I intend to keep doing what I do until my body will allow it no more. And then I'll look for something that it will allow. I'm pretty certain I won't be dying sat in my armchair.

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah my daughter said it can also send WhatsApp messages - bonkers. I thought Siri was just a Google search but apparently not!

Not sure I trust it to send my texts and messages though in case the spelling and grammar is wrong :D

I dont  discount how convenient it is, its brilliant when you think about it but i prefer to try my best to keep certain things out of my house (although im sure the government  knows all about my healthy stalking habits).

Imagine telling siri to send your missus a WhatsApp  saying "im upstairs naked, bring the dildo and lets do this" only for that message to actually be sent to  your mother in law (named Misty).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Any of these devices that listen in your home are creepy including cell phones tbh.

Its like wire tapping done legally through peoples ignorance upsold as great tech lol. Dont get me wrong it is cool but over the top at my house.

Well if Amazon are listening in to my Alexa all they're going to hear is "Alexa, play Bob Harris Country from the BBC" followed by her saying, "I'm sorry I can't find a station named Bob Harris Country", then me saying; "well you ****ing found it yesterday".

Just now, Parafox said:

Well if Amazon are listening in to my Alexa all they're going to hear is "Alexa, play Bob Harris Country from the BBC" followed by her saying, "I'm sorry I can't find a station named Bob Harris Country", then me saying; "well you ****ing found it yesterday".

Thing is these things are always listening even when you dont talk to them. Its knows all about your moaning of city fans leaving games early

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Thing is these things are always listening even when you dont talk to them. Its knows all about your moaning of city fans leaving games early

Not me.

The only moaning I do within Alexa range is when the recipe says total preparation time, 15 mins and yet you have to blend, grind and chop stuff. It's a complete lie unless you've got kitchen staff to help. 

51 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Not me.

The only moaning I do within Alexa range is when the recipe says total preparation time, 15 mins and yet you have to blend, grind and chop stuff. It's a complete lie unless you've got kitchen staff to help. 

Lol i feel your pain when i see these "times" they are rarely accurate.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah my daughter said it can also send WhatsApp messages - bonkers. I thought Siri was just a Google search but apparently not!

Not sure I trust it to send my texts and messages though in case the spelling and grammar is wrong :D

I have much hilarity in my lady friends car (too old for a girlfriend) when I’m the passenger and send her a ridiculous text which then  interrupts the music and gets blandly read out by some monotone voice, how I laugh.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm pretty good at remembering where I was and what I was doing when. But entire events can escape my memory. The other week, I was telling my brother that I'd been to a gig at the 100 Club for the first time. He reminded me that I'd been to a gig there in my twenties with him and he'd been beaten up in the toilets. I didn't remember any of that, but had a vague recollection of attending the gig with him, once he reminded me - and I've only rarely been to gigs with him, still less ones where he's been beaten up.

Same with books. I can remember enjoying reading particular books in the past, but wouldn't be able to tell you anything about what happens in them....aging is crap.....but better than the alternative! :D

Memory is an interesting one.

My wife often tells me about things that happened that I have no recollection of and many others where we remember situations differently. Sure some of it is to do with age but you could ask two young people about an event from the previous week and get two very different accounts. It's not only memory or remembering different things we also view events differently, with different emotions and from a different experience point, we focus on different things and interpret them differently.

A fact or a memory is often subjective and as such doesn't always reflect the truth or lack of it.

13 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I dont even think thats an old age thing as I'm the same with films, ie, I just remember if I liked/disliked/felt indifferent to a film, often cant remember the film itself unless it was particularly good or bad.

Nationalities and nations are an outdated concept in our globally mobile world and more specifically in Europe.

I have always thought of myself as English (and British) even though I've lived in France for nearly half of my life but this Brexit Fiasco has made me understand that I'm no more English or British than I am European (or Terran for that matter). For a while now I've thought that there should be a European passport for those who would prefer to be classed as European rather than of their birth nation.

When I look at my case in particular it seems unfair (not wrong) that my taxes should be going in their entirety into the French system, when my education and early health was paid for by the British system and though I realise that a small amount of money does go into the European pot, I don't think it is reflective or just. 

In a similar way many British citizens may feel that their tax is used for Londoners or the Welsh more than for their own local area - despite their being a local portion of tax.

Moreso, we don't stay within our borders. The English have been holidaying in Europe for a long time without really paying their European dues. I live in a seaside resort and I can promise you that the holidaymakers (both French and foreign) add very little to the financial or environmental well being of the area, they use, abuse and leave. I'd love to put up a border and stop them entering but that is of course impossible. Physically it would be difficult but the planet is an enviromental entity which is affected by everyone, everywhere.

Nations and Nationalities are an outdated concept in our small, interactive world.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The whole storm about this speaker or another being "deplatformed" is ridiculous so long as the individual being "deplatformed" has access to a free and open internet - a platform capable of reaching anyone else with an internet connection.

I'm unaware of the storm you're referring to but nah I don't agree with that. For one thing govts and major corporations the world over want to do away with net neutrality so that's a loose foundation to build your argument on, for another I think you're more likely to defeat an idea that you deem dangerous by debating it publicly with facts and logic as your weapons. Deplatforming just fuels the fires of paranoia that demagogues thrive upon. Carl Benjamin used to get deplatformed all the time (I imagine he still does) and it just made him and his brand of roundabout hate speech increasingly popular.

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The whole storm about this speaker or another being "deplatformed" is ridiculous so long as the individual being "deplatformed" has access to a free and open internet - a platform capable of reaching anyone else with an internet connection.

Surely that depends on the main corporations on the internet giving that platform though. 

33 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm unaware of the storm you're referring to but nah I don't agree with that. For one thing govts and major corporations the world over want to do away with net neutrality so that's a loose foundation to build your argument on, for another I think you're more likely to defeat an idea that you deem dangerous by debating it publicly with facts and logic as your weapons. Deplatforming just fuels the fires of paranoia that demagogues thrive upon. Carl Benjamin used to get deplatformed all the time (I imagine he still does) and it just made him and his brand of roundabout hate speech increasingly popular.

The POV of "they're coverin it up, he must be right" and that having consequences is a convincing argument, I admit - perhaps I should qualify my remarks at this point by saying my own opinion was purely wanting to make the point that most politically connected people in free countries do have equal access to a platform in this way and so being said one is somehow being denied one and are "unable to speak" is disingenuous.

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I believe the internet will always be able to yield access to information and platforms given sufficient determination - even the Chinese with all the resources at their disposal cannot stop citizens poking loads of holes in their "Great Firewall".

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

Surely that depends on the main corporations on the internet giving that platform though. 

Internet access doesn't always have to come through an ISP - big or small.

To elaborate on above, net neutrality is a concern, but I do think that this is one area where no nation state or corporation can maintain true 100% control, or even close to it.

Edit: I've no doubt that they want that control, as all good powermongers do, I just don't think it's feasible.

Edited by leicsmac

19 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Just for a bit of a mundane history lesson - women's football was bigger than men's in the early 1900s before being banned for being 'unlady like'. The women's national team also fielded the first black player decades before the men. 

I'm well aware. But what has that got to do with football today?

The men's game has been a world ahead of the women's game for the best part of a century. 

They want to use the banner of the men's clubs because they are already established clubs, they want to be taken seriously but want to do it the lazy way.

They should form their own clubs and establish themselves. 

1 hour ago, daventry_fox said:

I'm well aware. But what has that got to do with football today?

The men's game has been a world ahead of the women's game for the best part of a century. 

They want to use the banner of the men's clubs because they are already established clubs, they want to be taken seriously but want to do it the lazy way.

They should form their own clubs and establish themselves. 

Huh?  Why shouldn't a football club field a lady's team if they want to?  Should all U18 teams form their own clubs and establish themselves in the U18 system? You're not making any sense.

Edited by Carl the Llama
But well done on correct usage of the thread
  • Like 1

If you can't see how having a U18 team is different to a women's team then you're clueless. 

You know its a shame Ben chillwell couldn't graduate to our first team. I think he could have been a decent left back for us. (That's sarcasm btw)

Another factor to me is. The premier league clubs for example that have a massive world wide fan base will have a huge advantage over clubs like Huddersfield women's etc etc. As people will support them because they support the men's team. Which would automatically give certain teams in the women's game an advantage.

Why not just start under their own banner and force people to take them seriously. Instead of putting pressure on the men's game to start a women's team

Edited by daventry_fox

12 minutes ago, daventry_fox said:

If you can't see how having a U18 team is different to a women's team then you're clueless. 

You know its a shame Ben chillwell couldn't graduate to our first team. I think he could have been a decent left back for us. (That's sarcasm btw)

Another factor to me is. The premier league clubs for example that have a massive world wide fan base will have a huge advantage over clubs like Huddersfield women's etc etc. As people will support them because they support the men's team. Which would automatically give certain teams in the women's game an advantage.

Why not just start under their own banner and force people to take them seriously. Instead of putting pressure on the men's game to start a women's team

Why should an established club not be allowed to create a lady's team, though?  It's their decision if they want to invest in one. 

21 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Why should an established club not be allowed to create a lady's team, though?  It's their decision if they want to invest in one. 

My issue isn't that they shouldn't be allowed to fund one, it's that they appear to be pressured into funding them.

Most clubs have been in existence for over a hundred years. If they wanted to fund one so bad they would have done it and pushed it by now.

My other unpopular opinion is why have an unpopular opinion thread if people aren't allowed to express their unpopular opinion on the upopular opinion thread

Edited by daventry_fox

16 hours ago, daventry_fox said:

it shouldn't be the men's football clubs responsibility to form and fund women's clubs. 

They should start there own clubs the same as the men's game had to do. 

For this reason women's football just feels like it's piggy backing 

I mean, credit where its due, you're actually doing this thread properly. 

You keep on keeping on. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, credit where its due, you're actually doing this thread properly. 

You keep on keeping on. 

That's what this place is for. I'm rubbish at explaining things so I don't think I'm getting my point out the way I want it to.

• Like 1