Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Particularly those who feel the need to start a topic titled "Albrighton" every time he turns in a performance that is anything more than a 4/10.

"iS iT jUsT mE ThAt ThInKs He'S uNdErRaTeD!?!?!??!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There does seem to be some sort of campaign where if any humour or criticism about a black person occurs, it's almost automatically condemned.

And the individual who committed the 'act' is being forced to get punished by the mass amount of the political-correctness brigade.

If Meghan and Harry were black and someone on Twitter edited their baby as white-skinned and posted it, doubt there'd be such a huge backlash against this person as opposed to what Danny Baker has been faced with.

3 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

There does seem to be some sort of campaign where if any humour or criticism about a black person occurs, it's almost automatically condemned.

And the individual who committed the 'act' is being forced to get punished by the mass amount of the political-correctness brigade.

If Meghan and Harry were black and someone on Twitter edited their baby as white-skinned and posted it, doubt there'd be such a huge backlash against this person as opposed to what Danny Baker has been faced with.

Would he have uploaded the same photo if it was William & Kate with their new born baby? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Would he have uploaded the same photo if it was William & Kate with their new born baby? 

Yes.

The man isn't racist but he accepts that his tweet could be interpreted as racist. He accepts that he had to be sacked. He accepts that this is all his fault. What he doesn't accept is being labelled a racist and being lectured on racism.

You have to ask yourself why a man with no history of racism would wait 30 years into his career to out himself as racist?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fleckneymike said:

Yes.

The man isn't racist but he accepts that his tweet could be interpreted as racist. He accepts that he had to be sacked. He accepts that this is all his fault. What he doesn't accept is being labelled a racist and being lectured on racism.

You have to ask yourself why a man with no history of racism would wait 30 years into his career to out himself as racist?

It is racist whether he’s not said or done anything in 30 years is irrelevant. 

He’s compared a mixed race baby to a chimpanzee. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

It is racist whether he’s not said or done anything in 30 years is irrelevant. 

He’s compared a mixed race baby to a chimpanzee. 

He hasn't. You have.

He knew there was a royal baby, he had no idea whose it was, as soon as he did he removed it.

Just now, bovril said:

I'm with Walshie here. A meme comparing a mixed-race baby to a monkey is not something that can be "interpreted as racist", it is racist. 

But he wasn't. He didn't know whose baby it was. As soon as he did he took it down and apologised. Very good interview on LBC

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/danny-bakers-first-interview-since-being-sacked-by/

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I think it's more a case of old person humour "oh look a monkey wearing clothes how funny" sort of thing. Birthday card humour.  But utter stupidity to post it in this climate.

I think all new borns look like monkeys

3 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

But he wasn't. He didn't know whose baby it was. As soon as he did he took it down and apologised. Very good interview on LBC

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/danny-bakers-first-interview-since-being-sacked-by/

I think he's bullshitting if he says he didn't know whose it was. Why would you share something that has in your mind no relevance or context? 

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm with Walshie here. A meme comparing a mixed-race baby to a monkey is not something that can be "interpreted as racist", it is racist. 

It's only racist if he intended it to be racist surely. Same as the photo shoot with the black child in the monkey business t shirt. People assumed it was racist, the person who decided it may never have given the childs colour a seconds thought.

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

It's only racist if he intended it to be racist surely. Same as the photo shoot with the black child in the monkey business t shirt. People assumed it was racist, the person who decided it may never have given the childs colour a seconds thought.

If who intended it to be racist, the guy who made it? 

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

You realise how ridiculous this sounds right? 

I realise it is less ridiculous than assuming a man who has never expressed any racist view in over 30 years in broadcasting is actually a secret racist whose mask has suddenly slipped and exposed him as a horrible bigot. 

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

If Danny Baker intended to be racist, its racist, if he didn't, it isn't. It clumsy, stupid, open to misinterpretation, but if he was making a joke about the colour of the childs skin, hes not being racist. 

We need to stop telling people what they are thinking. I've seen a lot over the last day saying that Baker might not have realised, but he was thinking subconscious racist thoughts when he posted that. Wtf! Not only do we now know what people are thinking, we even know when they don't know themselves.

My post to which you replied said that the meme is not one, in my opinion, that could be "interpreted" as racist. I don't know and honestly don't care that much whether Baker himself is racist, but his excuse that he didn't know whose baby it is doesn't really convince me.

Agree with your second paragraph, and I don't want to crucify the guy. At the same time I don't really understand why people are defending him, the picture is pretty clear in its intention, in my opinion. If it's a genuine mistake by Baker then he's thick as shit honestly. He's hardly a martyr to political correctness. 

Tbh the fact that so many people are so outraged by his treatment (not on this forum, but some people I've seen genuinely are) disturbs me more than the picture itself. 

Edited by bovril

1 minute ago, bovril said:

My post to which you replied said that the meme is not one, in my opinion, could be "interpreted" as racist. I don't know and honestly don't care that much whether Baker himself is racist, but his excuse that he didn't know whose baby it is doesn't really convince me.

Agree with your second paragraph, and I don't want to crucify the guy. At the same time I don't really understand why people are defending him, the picture is pretty clear in its intention, in my opinion. If it's a genuine mistake by Baker then he's thick as shit honestly. He's hardly a martyr to political correctness. 

Well the original picture was just two people holding a clothed monkeys hand, it wasn't a meme. Baker was the one who added the wording regarding the royals. I think Baker is bullshitting when he says he doesn't know who had the baby, but not when he says hes likening the royals to a group a performing circus monkeys. I'm sure he's said that in the past, and others have mentioned how he finds monkeys dressed as famous people hilarious.

Just now, Facecloth said:

Well the original picture was just two people holding a clothed monkeys hand, it wasn't a meme. Baker was the one who added the wording regarding the royals. I think Baker is bullshitting when he says he doesn't know who had the baby, but not when he says hes likening the royals to a group a performing circus monkeys. I'm sure he's said that in the past, and others have mentioned how he finds monkeys dressed as famous people hilarious.

To be fair he's hardly one that shies away from casting assumptions based on little evidence so you know, live by the sword and all that...

It's definitely a difficult one. The BBC's decision is justified however there's not many people who could claim that they don't know who Meghan Markle is now but Danny Baker probably is one of them. His response definitely hasn't helped though. Then again he is a Millwall fan :whistle:

He quote tweeted a photo of Harry and Meghan together a few days before. Also tweeted about a beer containing brown and a picture of him holding a banana instead of a mic. All harmless in isolation but together they definitely don't help him.

Edited by Stadt