Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

6 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I do apologise if you find it insulting. I really encourage you to watch that video I posted as it deals with this very well despite the guy being a prominent athiest. 

I am in no way saying athiests can't be moral or that my morals are superior but rather in a theistic worldview, there is reason to think murder is always wrong but in an atheistic worldview it can only be subjective as there is no law giver. 

Problem with that is that whilst your right, for athiest we can change what us seen as right and wrong and adjust laws to fit, it very unlikely we'd start thinking murder is right. You are right we can change what we consider right and wrong, and that's a good thing, its what allowed us to abolish slavery and accept homosexuality, something devout Christians, and other religions I should add, can't do, because their belief system is unchanging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just on the religion subject, but a slight deviation, I caught a bit of a show this morning called Sunday Morning Live in bbc 1. Seems to be a religious programme.

They were interviewing Mr Motivator, who is a Christian and he said "Look at me, I'm 67 and there's nothing wrong with me. There must be someone up there looking after me."

I thought, its you mate, you're looking after you. You're in ridiculous shape for not just a man your age, but any age. You're looking after you, you're the reason your 67, ripped and have no health issues.

• Like 2

Just now, Facecloth said:

What cheese do you prefer on a pizza then?

I like all kinds of cheese, just prefer it not to taste of mucus.

And not blue veiny cheese, you can't have a pizza that smells of socks.

Isn't it nice to get back to the important issues in life?

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Just on the religion subject, but a slight deviation, I caught a bit of a show this morning called Sunday Morning Live in bbc 1. Seems to be a religious programme.

They were interviewing Mr Motivator, who is a Christian and he said "Look at me, I'm 67 and there's nothing wrong with me. There must be someone up there looking after me."

I thought, its you mate, you're looking after you. You're in ridiculous shape for not just a man your age, but any age. You're looking after you, you're the reason your 67, ripped and have no health issues.

Personal experience doesn't mean your belief is the right one. You can find people of all religions who can say that the deity they are worshiping is the right one and is looking after them because they are 100 years old and still healthy. It is after all personal and subjective, it has nothing to do with proving something in an objective way.

Just like saying " [insert deity here] visited me in my dreams and talked to me]". It is subjective.

As for subjective morality, the fact that it is ever-changing is proof of how unreliable it is. For some, poisons to society like Drugs, Alcohol, gambling, sexual immortality, and interest dealing are perfectly fine even though they are destroying society.

Edited by the fox

17 minutes ago, the fox said:

Personal experience doesn't mean your belief is the right one. You can find people of all religions who can say that the deity they are worshiping is the right one and is looking after them because they are 100 years old and still healthy. It is after all personal and subjective, it has nothing to do with proving something in an objective way.

Just like saying " [insert deity here] visited me in my dreams and talked to me]". It is subjective.

As for subjective morality, the fact that it is ever-changing is proof of how unreliable it is. For some, poisons to society like Drugs, Alcohol, gambling, sexual immortality, and interest dealing are perfectly fine even though they are destroying society.

I don't think you know who Mr Motivator is. He's a fitness instructor. He's dedicated his life to health and fitness. The fact he's 67 and has nothing wrong with him, compared to say my Dad, who did no exercise, ate terribly, and died aged 72 in 2016 with numerous health problems, is almost certainly down their individual fitness levels, not their religion, whether you believe in God or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

I don't think you know who Mr Motivator is. He's a fitness instructor. He's dedicated his life to health and fitness. The fact he's 67 and has nothing wrong with him, compared to say my Dad, who did no exercise, ate terribly, and died aged 72 in 2016 with numerous health problems, is almost certainly down their individual fitness levels, not their religion, whether you believe in God or not.

That was my point. Mr motivator's personal experience isn't a tool to measure if his belief is the right one. There are also old people with great shape who don't share his religious view.

Just now, the fox said:

That was my point. Mr motivator's personal experience isn't a tool to measure if his belief is the right one. There are also old people with great shape who don't share his religious view.

That was kind of my point. He's looked after himself incredibly, yet he's giving the credit to God. I wasn't using him as a point to prove or disprove a belief, I was just laughing at the fact this ridiculously fit and healthy 67 year old who has looked after himself beyond how 99% of people could ever imagine doing, is saying God is the reason he has no health issues, when I'm sure we can all agree in his case, whether you're a believer or not, his health is almost certainly down to his extreme health and fitness regime.

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

But I do rate him. His play-style is fluid and you can see that he has very high football IQ. It is rare to see such skilled talent from Britten. 

You've clearly never watched Junior Lewis.

7 hours ago, Benguin said:

I know I've already said this but I am going to park this now, so far as this thread is concerned, though totally happy to engage via pm's. 

I do apologise if anyone has felt insulted, my original intention was to reply to a post saying people with faith are gullible. I think that faith in God is a very reasonable position and felt compelled to put that across. 

I'd encourage anyone who is interested to not simply dismiss the idea of God but to pursue him with an open mind. If you ask Jesus to reveal himself with a genuine heart, he will. 

I would rather discuss in the open than on PMs. I believe there is a religion thread somewhere. I will find it and we can chat there. X 

8 hours ago, the fox said:

Rumble, I think you are missing the point here. You sighting the big bang is inline with the existence of a Creator. He started all of that. Without an uncaused cause, there can never be a big bang. 

As for evaluation, it is not proven. As a matter of fact, the Darwinian evolution is disproven by Darwin's own falsification test of his theory. I think he has a chapter in his book talking about the problem of his theory, and he said something in the line of, "to prove my theory, people need to find millions of skeletons of creatures that are part human" and with that, his theory crumbled. He also said that the missing link between apes and the white human (the height of human evolution) is black people.

The universe was once one entity and it is now expanding, just like those verses said

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"

Suarh Al-Anbiya [21:20]

"And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander."

Surah Adh-Dhariyat [51-47]

The Big Bang does not prove there is a creator. It doesn’t prove there isn’t one of course but you can have it without one. Also, to claim evolution is not proved is just mad. I think you have probably misrepresented or misunderstood it. To say “his theory crumbled” is wholly dishonest. All scientific theories are tested and reviewed. His theory may have been refined but it stands and, in my opinion, is beautiful. 

As for the passages, you cannot prove scripture with scripture. Just because you can find sections in holy books that can be twisted to fit the world doesn’t make them true. The bible could also be fairly interpreted to say working on a Sunday is punishable by death. Again, I think your  proof is different to mine. 

Imagine if you were a completely objective viewer to this debate, an alien that knew nothing of religion or atheism and all you had to go on was the strength of the debate itself. On one side you have peer reviewed, tested and retested empirical data. You also have a constantly learning and evolving argument that is willing to say “I was wrong about that bit”. On the other side you have scripture and “imagine a soldier”. Which side is more compelling? X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Davina McCall is still an ice cold MILF baby!

She did a week on radio 2 a few years ago when someone was on holiday. God, she's boring.