Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

I've said this before but I think it bears repeating:

With access to as much video technology as exists today and the way it is applied, there is no longer any need to give penalties and red cards for deliberate handball on the goalline when it can be evaluated beyond practically all doubt that the ball was going to cross the line without a professional foul being used. As was the case with Suarez in the 2010 World Cup, the current policy encourages deliberate foul play because penalties aren't always scored and being a man down doesn't always mean a disadvantage, and that's not good for the game.

So, instead, when it is certain through VAR that the ball would have crossed the line without the interfering handball, book the player who committed the foul and award the goal anyway. I think that is actually fairer to the attacking team.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

With access to as much video technology as exists today and the way it is applied, there is no longer any need to give penalties and red cards for deliberate handball on the goalline when it can be evaluated beyond practically all doubt that the ball was going to cross the line without a professional foul being used. As was the case with Suarez in the 2010 World Cup, the current policy encourages deliberate foul play because penalties aren't always scored and being a man down doesn't always mean a disadvantage, and that's not good for the game.

So, instead, when it is certain through VAR that the ball would have crossed the line without the interfering handball, book the player who committed the foul and award the goal anyway. I think that is actually fairer to the attacking team.

And if you aren’t sure if a goal bound shot will go in off the post, what do you do ?? Revert to the old rule ? Law makers don’t like grey areas .....

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And if you aren’t sure if a goal bound shot will go in off the post, what do you do ?? Revert to the old rule ? Law makers don’t like grey areas .....

Exactly that - when it isn't certain the ball is going to go in, revert to the old rules and give a penalty and a red card. Seems simple enough and such interpretation of grey areas is used by referees and VAR operators all the time (reckless tackles meriting a yellow or red card springs to mind, among others).

Of course, I would submit that of the few times there is a deliberate handball on the line in a game, ambiguity about whether or not it would cross the line without the foul is very, very few of those, so though there should be provision for it, it wouldn't exactly be a question to be posed often.

Edited by leicsmac

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's funny because I think that would have benefited Arsenal in their champions league final against Barcelona.

If they went 1-0 down after 20 minutes when Lehmann was sent off for a professional foul where Barcelona would have scored, instead of Lehmann being sent off, Arsenal probably would have had more of a chance of winning it as they were always chasing that game due losing a man despite going 1-0 up later in the game through Sol Campbell. Would have made for a better game too.

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

It's funny because I think that would have benefited Arsenal in their champions league final against Barcelona.

If they went 1-0 down after 20 minutes when Lehmann was sent off for a professional foul where Barcelona would have scored, instead of Lehmann being sent off, Arsenal probably would have had more of a chance of winning it as they were always chasing that game due losing a man despite going 1-0 up later in the game through Sol Campbell. Would have made for a better game too.

Different type of foul so different situation, but yes, I see what you mean.

I guess I have felt for a while that handball on the line is an area where players are through the rules actually encouraged to cheat and subvert the game because doing so is more often of less consequence for the team than not doing so. That is anathema to me and a loophole that should some way be closed.

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

How often is there a deliberate handball on the line where its certain the balls going in? Once maybe twice a season? 

Wouldn't be worth making a new rule for. 

But then, the defending team denies a goal by handballing on the goal line and they get a penalty against them. That penalty could be saved where the initial shot on goal would have been scored, but for the handball. VAR... again... maybe to decide?

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

All tattoos are sh*te and generally speaking there is a correlation between lack of intelligence and the presence of tattoos. 

Not to say you can't be intelligent if you do have tattoos. Just think there's a correlation.

How dare you??? Hope Fat Gemma with three stars on her ankles doesnt read this or she'll be crying into her Mickey D's on dole day.

On 26/07/2020 at 15:51, The Bear said:

How often is there a deliberate handball on the line where its certain the balls going in? Once maybe twice a season? 

Wouldn't be worth making a new rule for. 

They've given us a strange handball law before...

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

All tattoos are sh*te and generally speaking there is a correlation between lack of intelligence and the presence of tattoos. 

Not to say you can't be intelligent if you do have tattoos. Just think there's a correlation.

I just got my first tattoo before lockdown and I love it, it means everything to me, and because it's a band around my arm, every time I see the part that I can't usually see in the mirror, it really makes me smile.

Having said that I cannot believe the term 'Twattoo' has never caught on.

The modern fad of 'to smash' or 'smashing it' etc is ****ing annoying. 

Anyone who completes any task now has to declare they've 'smashed it'. I even heard a supermarket worker ordered to 'smash out produce'. 

It's weird and almost devoid of any meaning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Anyone who completes any task now has to declare they've 'smashed it'. I even heard a supermarket worker ordered to 'smash out produce'. 

I have just smashed the punani! Lol

Sigh, word fads!

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Don't forget to smash that "Like" button!

16 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Went to Majorca a couple of years ago and I was about the only person around the pool that didn't have one.

Conclusion: I am now counterculture

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Don't forget to smash that "Like" button!

Oh lads I have just SMASHED a breakfast. 

Why did you smash it? How does shoveling cooked breakfast meats into your mouth become a 'smashing'? 

If you want to be hyperbolic about a situation there's usually a tonne of better words. I don't get it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SystonFox said:

Energy drinks are ok to drink x

I really enjoy them, but that's another thing (alongside fast food) I have banned myself from since I heard a nutritionist saying if he could ban two things it would be energy drinks and McDonald's.

• Like 1