Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Any way. Let's forget religion and talk about something much more interesting, like aliens!

Are we really alone in the universe? Have we ever been visited? Did they build the pyramids? Was Jesus an alien visitor and his miracles just advanced technology? 

Hmmm...

Probably not, at the microbial level at least.

No, and it's likely we'd never know if we had given the level of tech an advanced civilisation would be able to employ just to get to us.

Probably not.

A sufficiently advanced visitor would appear like a god to us right now, let alone back then, so it's possible, but there's no evidence.

In that order.

We need a new thread for this kind of stuff I think - would anyone be interested if I started one?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Dinosaurs came in spaceships. Fact.

Everyone knows about dinosaurs, but wasn't their a time in prehistory when the atmosphere was especially oxygen rich when there were super-sized mammals, like gerbils the size of ford fiestas or something?

I may have dreamt this.

• Haha 2

Just now, murphy said:

Everyone knows about dinosaurs, but wasn't their a time in prehistory when the atmosphere was especially oxygen rich when there were super-sized mammals, like gerbils the size of ford fiestas or something?

I may have dreamt this.

Yes, there was such a time, but you got wasps and dragonfly the size of eagles rather than chavvy rodents ragging it around in Fiestas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I may have dreamt this.

Carboniferous period. 32% oxygen and and double present carbon dioxide levels. You had all manner of spectacular stuff, including dragonflies the size of  eagles.

No megafauna mammals, though - that came later.

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

Carboniferous period. 32% oxygen and and double present carbon dioxide levels. You had all manner of spectacular stuff, including dragonflies the size of  eagles.

That explains the Ford Fiesta's then. 

11 hours ago, Izzy said:

Hey, I just ripped it off some article on the internet. I'm O.K. being called gullible for believing. I've been called a lot worse on here :D 

I heard that the word gullible had been removed from the English dictionary. :D

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Hmmm...

Probably not, at the microbial level at least.

No, and it's likely we'd never know if we had given the level of tech an advanced civilisation would be able to employ just to get to us.

Probably not.

A sufficiently advanced visitor would appear like a god to us right now, let alone back then, so it's possible, but there's no evidence.

In that order.

We need a new thread for this kind of stuff I think - would anyone be interested if I started one?

Whenever a more advanced civilisation meets a primitive one it never ends well, from the Conquistadors to slave traders.  The fact that we are not all in chains or worse is evidence against for me, although this is judging through the prism of human nature.  They could be more advanced than us and also better than us.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry mate, you're clearly a good person and you do a lot to help people on here (esp in the depression thread)...but on this particular matter there seems to be a lot of deflection rather than answering points going on and it appears to be a mite disingenuous.

Of course, you don't have to answer the points presented and you might feel that if you do there would be no answer that would take the conversation where you don't want it to go anyway, but speaking personally I would be keen on hearing how one reconciles the belief in an interventionist Abrahamic deity with the scientific evidence we have available to us (which quite often conflict with each other).

If it's just a matter of believing because it makes one feel better, then that's entirely understandable - as I've said before, it's only when certain religious beliefs are allowed to be used to craft political policy (which sadly happens in more places than not around the world) that the problem arises IMO. Having policy crafted by a document written hundreds of years ago and believed to be infallible and unchangeable isn't a good way to set policy in a very dynamic world = and the US uses the Constitution to similar effect and that clearly has flaws in execution, too. :D

Can't speak for the OP, but as someone with a bit of experience in the field I would suggest empirical, observed and recorded evidence of a deity doing something that a human clearly could not.

Of course, that might be something of a stretch.

No I am quite Good at it..!!!     Just Ask other foxestalk users....

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Can't speak for the OP, but as someone with a bit of experience in the field I would suggest empirical, observed and recorded evidence of a deity doing something that a human clearly could not.

Of course, that might be something of a stretch.

6 hours ago, worthosoriginals said:

A physical appearance would be a start, rather than very old books talking about an invisible man in the sky. 

150 million Kilometers. that's how far the sun is. try standing outside when it`s hot and look at the object that`s 150 million kms away. that`s just a plain cop out and it defeats the point of free will. if everyone can see God than whats the point of belief.

the universe has a Creator. he is the un-caused cause because if he was caused by something, than what caused that something? and so on. we will be going back infinitely, and if the past is infinite, then we wouldn't have a present day because we are always stuck, going back infinitely. The creator is internal because if he was not, than it means that something caused that entity to exist, and if so, than what cause that something.... and just like that, we are stuck in going back in the past infinitely and that is what's called infinite regression.

now people will ask, is the Creator conscious or unconscious? and for that we only need to look at the universe. if the Creator is unconscious (operating automatically), than the universe should be eternal because if the actions of said entity are automatic, than the universe will also be eternal because that creator isn`t conscious and can~t decide when to create, it just does. (the universe isn`t eternal btw)

said creator has the characteristics of an all-powerful, all knowledgeable entity because it created everything and was the un-caused cause. so if people throughout history claimed to be the messengers of said entity, than you have the obligation to test the validity of their claim. there is no excuse.

that is logic, if people want to believe or not, it is their choice. as far as the message from said entity"s messengers, it has been delivered.

i would leave the discussion here and people can decide to do what they want.

Edited by the fox
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, the fox said:

150 million Kilometers. that's how far the sun is. try standing outside when it`s hot and look at the object that`s 150 million kms away. that`s just a plain cop out and it defeats the point of free will. if everyone can see God than whats the point of belief....

So what is the point of belief?

Another thing that seems illogical to me.  The creator reveals himself and sets down strict laws with rewards and consequences, demands worship but then vanishes and asks us to accept that we just believe in his very existence or that any of this is true.  Just seems very odd to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

Another thing that seems illogical to me.  The creator reveals himself and sets down strict laws with rewards and consequences, demands worship but then vanishes and asks us to accept that we just believe in his very existence or that any of this is true.  Just seems very odd to me.

it goes down to free will really. if humans dont have a choice in the matter, than it goes against free will. belief is making a choice.

who knows the creation better than the Creator. the laws are set so people can live a healthy, moral life(i am not saying that people who dont believe in god cant be moral, i am just questioning, what is their moral anchor?). for example, sexual immorality, drugs, alcohol, gambling, and dealing in interest. those are poisons to society and so, are forbidden. 

reward and punishment is what motivates people. everything you do is hinged on "what are rewards that i can get, and what are punishments that i can avoid?". everything. when a person decides to park his car, he would ask "is it OK to park here?, would i get a ticket?" most of the time. when a person does a thing like adding an extra spoon of sugar to his coffee, he will weight the good and the bad of said action.

the creator doesn't need our worship. if he wanted, he would will all of his creation to worship him day and night, for an eternity. the worshiping is imo, a way for the creation to acknowledged who they are. if a person gives another person a thousand pounds for free, the least the second person can say is say "thank you". if someone said "would you give up your eyes for a million dollars", the response would be "no" for any sane person. so what about the creator who has given all the human senses to humans for free and provides a way for an eternal life in heaven. 

Wetherspoons is alright, serves a purpose. Some of them are in quite nice buildings too.

I get the argument about supporting independent pubs over spoons but its pretty pointless most of the time to shout about support of a locals over spoons when most are owned by big corporate brewers like Greene King, Fullers, etc anyway.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, murphy said:

Creator reveals himself a few thousand years ago not to large masses but the occasional one person, no witnesses, or pops up in more modern times, in mad people's heads, e.g Peter Sutcliffe 

Telling him to go out and murder prostitutes. 

Poor defence, god told me to do it. This is how religion/belief is, its just in human heads. 

One theory is humans designed it as a way of comfort, an alternate to the coming of going back to the infinite nothingness that we had before we were born. There's no evidence of a paradise infinity looming. The religious lot bleat, there is

I know, cos a bloke in a desert said so a couple of thousand years ago. Dream on. 

59 minutes ago, murphy said:

Also before vanshing part of those strict laws have some illogical crackers like, don't eat pork or shellfish, abuse your slave

In a certain way, don't wear clothes made of more than one material, abuse and hack your children's genitals,also worship me endlessly, if not il not let you into paradise, now enjoy all that, good luck, I'm off. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Those were the exact conditions needed for the forming of the city of Coventry, chuck in some inbreeding and banjo playing. 

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just got back from our village church service with my fellow unicorn chasing nut jobs.

We spent the service bleating on about eternal life and living in paradise while simultaneously hacking our childrens gentiles in the aisles.

Now busy abusing my slave cos some bloke in a desert a couple thousand years ago told me to do it.

A standard Sunday really :yesyes:

well it's what your good book tells you to do, well done, paradise awaits you.

hope you had no bacon butties this morning otherwise youl spend eternity in  a fire.

Toilet paper is not a good option for wiping your poo hole. Much better to use a bidet or toilet seat bidet to get  a cleaner and more refreshing finish job on your rim. 

Not sure if it's really unpopular but given how people went bog roll crazy a few months ago it might be.

4 minutes ago, worthosoriginals said:

well it's what your good book tells you to do, well done, paradise awaits you.

hope you had no bacon butties this morning otherwise youl spend eternity in  a fire.

No bacon butties, but we did get the kids to sacrifice a goat during the service before we all had tea and biscuits afterwards.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Toilet paper is not a good option for wiping your poo hole. Much better to use a bidet or toilet seat bidet to get  a cleaner and more refreshing finish job on your rim. 

Not sure if it's really unpopular but given how people went bog roll crazy a few months ago it might be.

or another tip. again don't use bog roll, simply rifle a few pairs of knickers out your mrs's draw, wipe your mucky crack with them fold them up and place back into the draw, she will simply think she hasn't washed her skid marks properly

• Sad 1