Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

The away pubs are (were) probably my favourite part of football matches. But I'm getting to the point where I start to fall asleep in the 2nd half. 

It was the going to the toilet that did my head in. I seemed to miss half the match. I get it's a big part of the experience for some people but it's just not for me. For example I went to all 5 of our champions league away game and the only time I drank was in a hostel in Copenhagen with some guys who were visiting from Australia. I would guess most people didn't drink so little on those trips. 

Edited by peach0000

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

From my experience of the USA that culture is pretty non-existent. Alcohol is drank in moderation. Like in most of Europe as well to be fair. New Orleans is possible the one exception.

I wonder what our drinking culture would be like here if the age to legally purchase alcohol was raised to 21, like it is in most of the US?

• Like 1

Some of my favourite days out have been at our matches home and away whilst being on the booze. Some real laughs on train journeys and nights out.

I suppose it all depends on whether alcohol agrees with you or not. Some people get completely obliterated down the footy and are in no state to watch the game, whilst others love to get pissed and get into a scrap. Neither of those sound like much fun to me.

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

It might depend on the city. The USA is so massive I imagine it changes a lot between places. Philadelphia and Boston have a bit of a reputation for that kind of stuff as does New Orleans. It didn't really seam a thing in LA or NY for me though. (of course I could just have been oblivious to it)

Really, I spend alot of time in the US, and been to watch NFL, NBA, although fans don't get pissed at venues, bars and sports bars they are just as bad as us interms of getting pissed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Really, I spend alot of time in the US, and been to watch NFL, NBA, although fans don't get pissed at venues, bars and sports bars they are just as bad as us interms of getting pissed.

I’ve been to NBA, NHL and MLB games and never seen any of that kind of stuff. The NHL in LA there was some drunken behaviour on the Metro afterwards but nothing like what you see here at football matches. Out of interest which cities have you seen it in? 

Edited by peach0000

12 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I’ve been to NBA, NHL and MLB games and never seen any of that kind of stuff. The NHL in LA there was some drunken behaviour on the Metro afterwards but nothing like what you see here at football matches. Out of interest which cities have you seen it in? 

Yeah never at the game, I'm talking about the bars and sports bars, Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Dallas, Atlanta, Kansas, Seattle.

Nashville was the worst, the party atmosphere quickly turned ugly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

What got me was the college leagues and how competitive they were, and the amount of college students who would drink and party

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Yeah never at the game, I'm talking about the bars and sports bars, Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Dallas, Atlanta, Kansas, Seattle.

Nashville was the worst, the party atmosphere quickly turned ugly.

Oh okay. I misread your post, my bad! I can't say I've experienced too many bars over there. I didn't really see any. But I haven't been to any of the cities you've listed so it might just be a case of different cities and states having a different culture around alcohol and sports. You seem to of traveled to America more than me so your judgement is better than mine.

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

What got me was the college leagues and how competitive they were, and the amount of college students who would drink and party

That's something I would love to experience. From talking to people who have been, college sport is supposed to be a lot better to go to than the pro leagues. Unfortunately I've never had time to go to one. I mean it's crazy that some college football teams play in 100k capacity stadiums. 

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Oh okay. I misread your post, my bad! I can't say I've experienced too many bars over there. I didn't really see any. But I haven't been to any of the cities you've listed so it might just be a case of different cities and states having a different culture around alcohol and sports. You seem to of traveled to America more than me so your judgement is better than mine.

It's all about experiences, I'm sure we can share some when the world is open.  I travel alot for work in the states, mostly in the southern states.

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

That's something I would love to experience. From talking to people who have been, college sport is supposed to be a lot better to go to than the pro leagues. Unfortunately I've never had time to go to one. I mean it's crazy that some college football teams play in 100k capacity stadiums. 

If you ever go to Nashville or Memphis, let me know, I spent alot of time in student bars etc.  The college leagues and the drinking is so much more fun.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

From my experience of the USA that culture is pretty non-existent. Alcohol is drank in moderation. Like in most of Europe as well to be fair. New Orleans is possible the one exception.

The indigenous culture is fascinating. 

Regarding drinking, many American cities have for many years had a thriving micro brewery culture - and some craft ales that date back to the 19th century. In terms of alcohol, trust me, the latino homies from East LA that I have hung with can seriously put it away. Problem is, they often insist on drinking in Brit/expat bars in places like the valley and Santa Monica because they love Premier League football.

Edited by Line-X

5 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

One thing I love about the US, the women love drinking IPA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The American IPAs in the UK seem to go by the 'dump shitloads of hops in and hope for the best' mantra.

Are the IPAs in the US different / decent?

US IPA's are on a different level, nothing in the UK touches Bells Two Hearted as a commercial IPA.

Don't know much about brewing but in the US, brewing is massive.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

US IPA's are on a different level, nothing in the UK touches Bells Two Hearted as a commercial IPA.

Don't know much about brewing but in the US, brewing is massive.

Thanks, I guess we Brits /European look at North American beer in a snobbish way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Thanks, I guess we Brits /European look at North American beer in a snobbish way.

Before the IPA wave the US had the shittest of beers, and interms of lagers, it still is, Miller and Coors.light is still the most drank beer in America.

35 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The American IPAs in the UK seem to go by the 'dump shitloads of hops in and hope for the best' mantra.

Are the IPAs in the US different / decent?

I'm sure the stuff in the US would be much better but a lot of APAs I've had from UK brewers taste like something between Vimto and a sicky burp.