Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Sausages vary in taste and quality far more than bacon. 

The perfect bacon sandwich imo, 2 slices of seeded batch loaf bread, thickly spread with butter, 2 slices of (not crispy) back bacon, no sauce. A fried egg on top sometimes. 

Brown sauce should only be used on baked beans or tomatoes. 

Edited by Webbo

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The perfect bacon sandwich imo, 2 slices of seeded batch loaf bread, thickly spread with butter, 2 slices of (not crispy) back bacon, no sauce. A fried egg on top sometimes. 

For me, brown sauce is best with bacon and sausages.  No sauce needed with beans or tomatoes...

20 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I love a bacon cob, but it is best with crispy, inflexible, overcooked crunchy rashers in a white-bread cob and HP sauce spilling down your chops as you eat it.

Swiftly followed by hot sweet tea. 

Must be my proletarian upbringing, but I can't do with weird bread or soft bacon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

There's a lot of credence to this. My take is this:

The most basic bacon you can get is better than the most basic sausage. However, when you start looking at quality products - butchers and so forth - sausages start to outstrip bacon by a fair distance. A butcher's pork and leek sausage cob is infinitely better than a butcher's bacon cob. 

Bacon has a better bottom end but sausage beats it all over the place in the higher margins.

The wafer thin rashers of bacon you get from dodgy corner shops, usually branded as DANEPAK or similar that shrivel up to the size of a 50p piece aren’t fit for purpose and are a disgrace to the good swines all around the globe who gave their lives for us. 

Veggie sausages are also usually very palatable whereas “Facon” is a disgrace. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

You lost me at the word butter sadly! 

4 hours ago, Manini said:

Can I also say how refreshing it is to see everyone, to a man and woman, referring to it as a Cob. A home comfort I often miss. 

Living in Norfolk now and the amount of stoney faced looks I get when I ask for a cob makes me realise how far away from home I am

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

Bap is a soft bun. A cob is more crusty.

'Bap' is just a term that was never used in Leicester when I was growing up. 

Maybe now - when admittedly the language has become more generic, less specific - certainly less regional -  things have changed. 

'Cobs' could be hard or soft by the way. 

30 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Maybe now - when admittedly the language has become more generic, less specific - certainly less regional -  things have changed. 

“Get ya baps out” was a not uncommon greeting back in the day 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Not sure how old you are mate, but I'm 55 and we had baps when i was a kid.

• Like 1