Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 05/03/2021 at 22:06, The Blur said:

That grinds my gears good and proper when people slag off sports as boring but in the reality they have not really made the time to understand the rules or to have played it or watched it enough to appreciate the finesse.  

Just an FYI.

I played golf weekly for 10+ years. I fully understand and enjoy playing the game (even though i am crap at it).

On TV it is SHIT...

On TV it does not show the skill talent or "finesse" it is just the same 4 or 5 pictures...
ball flys 300 yards through the air.. bounces 4 times on grass..
ball flies 100 metres through the air, back spins and rolls on shorter grass

ball rolls on shorter grass with a curve nearly into hole

ball gets tapped on short grass into hole

rinse - repeat

Meanwhile fill the sounds with the most inane, pointless and boring chat... since the people from love island interviewed each other.

• Haha 1

On 06/03/2021 at 14:11, peach0000 said:

It was the going to the toilet that did my head in. I seemed to miss half the match. I get it's a big part of the experience for some people but it's just not for me. For example I went to all 5 of our champions league away game and the only time I drank was in a hostel in Copenhagen with some guys who were visiting from Australia. I would guess most people didn't drink so little on those trips. 

Interesting opinion. Do you mind me asking are you much of a drinker on the weekend? And do you go alone or in groups to games? I feel like that is a factor. Going to the game with a group of lads, I find that drinking goes hand-in-hand with the sport, very much a British thing I think. Probably not very healthy but that’s how we are as a nation lol

Just now, TJB-fox said:

Interesting opinion. Do you mind me asking are you much of a drinker on the weekend? And do you go alone or in groups to games? I feel like that is a factor. Going to the game with a group of lads, I find that drinking goes hand-in-hand with the sport, very much a British thing I think. Probably not very healthy but that’s how we are as a nation lol

I'm not teetotal by any means. If I go to the pub with friends I'll drink or if other people I'm with are at an event are I'll always have a drink or five! Probably happens no more often that once every couple of weeks or so. Who I go to the matches with depends. For most of my time following Leicester it has been with family but more recently I've gone to football matches primarily with my mates. The European games were odd though because I was the only person who could get a ticket I went to the first four on my own (hence the hostel to meet people). 

I know it's a big part of football and the culture around it and if that's what people enjoy then all I can say is have fun. Just not for me personally. 

On a side note I've also been to tournaments (most notably Euro 2016 in Marseille) and seen what can happen when things get out of hand. That put me off a bit to be honest. It was the scariest experience I've been through in my life! 

On 06/03/2021 at 11:24, HighPeakFox said:

I suspect it indicates a deeper level of unhappiness/lower expectations that getting abolutely plastered is considered a good time.

Put it this way, everytime I feel like shit I feel the urge to get absolutely hammered. 

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Just an FYI.

I played golf weekly for 10+ years. I fully understand and enjoy playing the game (even though i am crap at it).

On TV it is SHIT...

On TV it does not show the skill talent or "finesse" it is just the same 4 or 5 pictures...
ball flys 300 yards through the air.. bounces 4 times on grass..
ball flies 100 metres through the air, back spins and rolls on shorter grass

ball rolls on shorter grass with a curve nearly into hole

ball gets tapped on short grass into hole

rinse - repeat

Meanwhile fill the sounds with the most inane, pointless and boring chat... since the people from love island interviewed each other.

Mate I was only referring to people with zero background knowledge who just watch a bit of sport on TV and slag it off immediately bit like sort of people who slag off a film ten minutes into it.   

Of course fans can still find their sports boring or knowledgeable viewers still finding sports that they aren't interested in boring.  

I like football but you wouldn't catch me watching West Brom Vs Burnley!

With that said, out of interest would you consider yourself knowledgeable about golf players?  I do suspect that golf might be the type of sport that requires viewers knowing about golfers and their background, playing records and so on for added enjoyment.  

Edited by The Blur

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Mate I was only referring to people with zero background knowledge who just watch a bit of sport on TV and slag it off immediately bit like sort of people who slag off a film ten minutes into it.   

Of course fans can still find their sports boring or knowledgeable viewers still finding sports that they aren't interested in boring.  

I like football but you wouldn't catch me watching West Brom Vs Burnley!

With that said, out of interest would you consider yourself knowledgeable about golf players?  I do suspect that golf might be the type of sport that requires viewers knowing about golfers and their background, playing records and so on for added enjoyment.  

i have limited knowledge about players...who is good a who is "great". but again this information is irrelevant to the viewing.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

i have limited knowledge about players...who is good a who is "great". but again this information is irrelevant to the viewing.

Fair enough- each to their own.  Like I said, my post were more geared to towards those who write sports off instantly. 

I don't know what the answer is to overcome the issues of gender and race inequality, but I don't think days like IWD are it.

The overarching message I digest from most posts and comments is "I managed to achieve XYZ IN SPITE of being a woman." 

That doesn't quite feel like the right message, somehow, does it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I don't know what the answer is to overcome the issues of gender and race inequality, but I don't think days like IWD are it.

The overarching message I digest from most posts and comments is "I managed to achieve XYZ IN SPITE of being a woman." 

That doesn't quite feel like the right message, somehow, does it?

I think its more that the message is  'I managed to acheive XYZ in spite of the difficulties and obstacles in the workplace/society I face by being a women'.

Thats how I read it anyway.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

I think its more that the message is  'I managed to acheive XYZ in spite of the difficulties and obstacles in the workplace/society I face by being a women'.

Thats how I read it anyway.

Meh.

Just another virtual signalling cringe fest. Stick it in the bin with Mother's Day, Father's Day, Pride etc.

While we're on the topic of eradicating inequality, I saw today an exchange between Piers Morgan and Trisha Goddard, during which she proudly stated that Piers should 'leave the racism stuff to us'. I mean Jesus, I'd be the last person to stick up for Piers Morgan, but what an awful thing to say. How stupid can you be, that in the process of arguing for equality, you promote the idea that only people with a certain colour of skin is allowed to discuss a topic.

Doesn't sit tight with me at all. There's a difference between trying to drive change, and wearing a badge with pride.

My motivation for these posts is simply to highlight that the vast majority of people are fvcking stupid. White, black, men, women, racist or not racist, sexist or not sexist. While there is a lot of good work and campaigning that goes on in each area of inequality, the vast majority of support and noise that goes behind these things is people on their 'side' spouting nonsense. For me, it isn't helping. If anything it creates more division.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, replace the word 'women' for 'men' in posts you see, and see how much of it sounds offensive.

I'll start with one I saw earlier: "Women make the best bosses."

Editing to add that I've also noticed it is becoming increasingly popular to be openly anti-male on Twitter. This time, replace the word 'men' for 'blacks' and see if what these people are saying is acceptable.

I realise the irony here that I'm only piping up to defend 'my kind', but it comes from a place of being frustrated and bored. Bored of the same old stuff spouted on social, frustrated because it's stupid and won't do anything. Round and around we go the merry go round.

Edited by Nod.E

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I have absolutely no idea how anyone could have Foo Fighters as their favourite band. They have a few bangers but have you ever listened the their albums? So much filler. 

They're the mild cheddar, the custard creme, the birdseye potato waffles of the rock world. They're common, generic and bland as fvck.

Cheddar, Custard Cremes and Potato Waffles are massively popular. The world loves bland.

14 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I have absolutely no idea how anyone could have Foo Fighters as their favourite band. They have a few bangers but have you ever listened the their albums? So much filler. 

Class live though 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They're the mild cheddar, the custard creme, the birdseye potato waffles of the rock world. They're common, generic and bland as fvck.

Cheddar, Custard Cremes and Potato Waffles are massively popular. The world loves bland.

Very true. You can't really hate them because it's so middle of the road.

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Fried bread is absolutely disgusting. 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Get out. 

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah that’s one too far mate

I had fried bread with an all day breakfast in a café in Market Harborough (the one near the main crossroads where you have to go upstairs to the cafe, not mentioning names). Their fried bread was clearly done in the chip fryer, it was disgusting. They also had the cheek to charge me £7:50 for one rasher of bacon, one sausage, an over-fried egg and a spoonful of crap beans. Bread that had barely seen any type of buttery spread. And it's not the cleanest looking place.

4 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Fried bread is absolutely disgusting. 

you use the wrong fat, or Oil instead of lard, even the wrong bread,  and Fry it too fast, or too slow....

Maybe even the wrong pan..!!

I mean ...I am trying to defend you here..!!!  Or are you just plain weird...:giggle:

27 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

you use the wrong fat, or Oil instead of lard, even the wrong bread,  and Fry it too fast, or too slow....

Maybe even the wrong pan..!!

I mean ...I am trying to defend you here..!!!  Or are you just plain weird...:giggle:

Never cooked it myself. Only had it in cafes or hotels. Horrible.