Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

• 3 weeks later...

Winning the FA Cup yesterday felt even more special than winning the league despite not being there to see it in person. I'll qualify it... Winning the league as spectacular as it was was inevitable with 3/4 weeks to go. The FA Cup came down to one game and we have am iconic trophy winning goal too. Also throw in that the city of Leicester has had a torid time with lockdown and yesterday I saw people who I haven't seen for ages. From a personal point of view it would have been my Grandad's birthday yesterday, who was the person who got me into Leicester City. Maybe it's the emotion talking now and I'll change my mind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Winning the FA Cup yesterday felt even more special than winning the league despite not being there to see it in person. I'll qualify it... Winning the league as spectacular as it was was inevitable with 3/4 weeks to go. The FA Cup came down to one game and we have am iconic trophy winning goal too. Also throw in that the city of Leicester has had a torid time with lockdown and yesterday I saw people who I haven't seen for ages. From a personal point of view it would have been my Grandad's birthday yesterday, who was the person who got me into Leicester City. Maybe it's the emotion talking now and I'll change my mind. 

For me, winning the league was an extraordinary bonus, something I never thought would happen and never considered.

Winning the FA Cup lifts a burden off the club, it's hung over us for 52 years about losing the most finals, probably the biggest club never to win it. Thankfully we've shaken that tag firmly off.

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. It's a final, and all the emotion surrounding it makes it mean so much more. 

Love the fact we're even having this discussion. Absolutely insane. Absolutely ****ing insane. 

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I ever-so-slightly resent how much of Leicester City's publicity (particularly on the BBC) revolves around Lineker's fandom. 

He's by far our most famous/most exposed fan/ex player so it's perhaps understandable.

I think a few might share your opinion though.

online abuse...Obviously its not a great reflection on society and I appreciate it can be very damaging to an individuals health but...what bothers me more is that little effort seems to go into understanding why it happens so much. Id go further than that and say the reasons are known but deliberately ignored because of the obssession with creating a narrative of victim and the hateful troll. Its a more complex subject than the media portrays it and the treatment lacks perspective. These things need to be addressed in order to reduce the trend of online abuse. If it was it would get more sympathy from me

look at the ingredients.

freedom of speech gains new definition with rise of the internet which is an apparent leveller for those less advantaged in the world and yet the opposite appears to be true... Those fortunate to have gained some celebrity/success benefit most from it. For example Successful footballer automatically gets 50,000 followers for their half-baked political ideas . Attractive female gets to double down on their genetic advantage thus insuring they don't have to do a crappy office/factory job. Isn't it natural for folks to get jelaous resentful maybe a bit hateful even

I'm often told my logic is off and i'm willing to be educated but for me the lack of a balanced coverage of this subject is a step towards a system where we accept the 'thought police' and thats dangerous. 

13 minutes ago, Adrian said:

online abuse...Obviously its not a great reflection on society and I appreciate it can be very damaging to an individuals health but...what bothers me more is that little effort seems to go into understanding why it happens so much. Id go further than that and say the reasons are known but deliberately ignored because of the obssession with creating a narrative of victim and the hateful troll. Its a more complex subject than the media portrays it and the treatment lacks perspective. These things need to be addressed in order to reduce the trend of online abuse. If it was it would get more sympathy from me

look at the ingredients.

freedom of speech gains new definition with rise of the internet which is an apparent leveller for those less advantaged in the world and yet the opposite appears to be true... Those fortunate to have gained some celebrity/success benefit most from it. For example Successful footballer automatically gets 50,000 followers for their half-baked political ideas . Attractive female gets to double down on their genetic advantage thus insuring they don't have to do a crappy office/factory job. Isn't it natural for folks to get jelaous resentful maybe a bit hateful even

I'm often told my logic is off and i'm willing to be educated but for me the lack of a balanced coverage of this subject is a step towards a system where we accept the 'thought police' and thats dangerous. 

I would like to talk to you more on this, but first I wouldn't mind you being a bit more specific here.

What do you think the real underlying causes of online abuse are, exactly?

How would you solve them?

Is there a reason that trolling is somehow justifiable?

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

What do you think the real underlying causes of online abuse are, exactly?

a whole range of socio-economic factors ..ive mentioned jealousy but i could talk about individuals who have pent up anger issues because of neglect or a million other scenarios as im sure you can imagine 

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

How would you solve them?

Is there a reason that trolling is somehow justifiable?

my point is that taking the standpoint of zero tolerance for hatred is not nearly enough. that approach smacks of a pretence that we don't all live with predujice or the seeds of hate in some way. I think it was marcus rashford who reacted to online abuse by asking where the hatred had come from, saying he felt sorry for them...more of that narrative will help

maybe this is not such an unpopular opinion but i feel it might be because of how we are expected to behave these days, i.e. like little angels with infinite empathy for all human beings...come on pull the other one its got bells on it ;)

44 minutes ago, Adrian said:

a whole range of socio-economic factors ..ive mentioned jealousy but i could talk about individuals who have pent up anger issues because of neglect or a million other scenarios as im sure you can imagine 

my point is that taking the standpoint of zero tolerance for hatred is not nearly enough. that approach smacks of a pretence that we don't all live with predujice or the seeds of hate in some way. I think it was marcus rashford who reacted to online abuse by asking where the hatred had come from, saying he felt sorry for them...more of that narrative will help

maybe this is not such an unpopular opinion but i feel it might be because of how we are expected to behave these days, i.e. like little angels with infinite empathy for all human beings...come on pull the other one its got bells on it ;)

I see, thank you.

I don't think that's such an unpopular opinion that such things need understanding as well as calling out, otherwise you won't actually make the issue better, merely cut heads off a hydra while more take its place.

WRT empathy, you touch on why it's needed in the second paragraph here and I wouldn't knock people looking for more of it too much - not only is it morally squarer, it could well be vital to the continued survival of human civilisation. Every man being an island is the quickest way everything falls apart, after all.

15 hours ago, bovril said:

I ever-so-slightly resent how much of Leicester City's publicity (particularly on the BBC) revolves around Lineker's fandom. 

I know it is petty but I still resent his comments about Ranieri's sacking and relegation "improving the miracle".

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

I know it is petty but I still resent his comments about Ranieri's sacking and relegation "improving the miracle".

I don't think he ever really says anything interesting or incisive about us.

The thing I dislike is the subtle 'win it for Lineker' vibe that comes with our recent successes. It makes us look a bit tinpot. 

But I admit he is an incredibly important figure in our history, not least because of 2002. 

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I see, thank you.

I don't think that's such an unpopular opinion that such things need understanding as well as calling out, otherwise you won't actually make the issue better, merely cut heads off a hydra while more take its place.

WRT empathy, you touch on why it's needed in the second paragraph here and I wouldn't knock people looking for more of it too much - not only is it morally squarer, it could well be vital to the continued survival of human civilisation. Every man being an island is the quickest way everything falls apart, after all.

I like the hydra's head analogy...I'm going to steal it thank🤣

Boohoo are not as bad as everybody make out . I worked in the industry for 20 years and they are no different to anyone else . 

Like all companies they will do due diligence on a supplier and approve them . What the supplier will do is out of a 10,000 order they will make 2000 garments in their approved factory. Then the supplier will make the other 8000 in a sweat shop . It's very hard to stop.

There's a lot of decent suppliers in Leicester who look after their staff and Boohoo order a lot from Leicester and contribute to our economy.  

Oh and Primark are one of the strictest when it come to using ethical suppliers while some of the more expensive High street shops don't give a shit .!