Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

31 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Comic Relief.

A series of not very funny skits interspersed with very depressing true stories.

It's a laugh a second innit.

I never watch these charity things that take up the whole evening. I'd rather they just showed 3 hours of Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie To You

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I never watch these charity things that take up the whole evening. I'd rather they just showed 3 hours of Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie To You

Exactly. They're invariably worse than what would normally be on, but are made out to be somehow "special".

Doing weird stuff for charity too, like cutting all your hair off or bathing in baked bean.

It's essentially...

Give a fiver to help research cancer and save lives.

No.

But I'm covered in baked beans!

Why didn't you say?! Have a tenner!

Look, just give money to help the unfortunate. People shouldn't have to degrade themselves first.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Never cooked it myself. Only had it in cafes or hotels. Horrible. 

You've NEVER cooked fried bread? It's the easiest thing in the world. I always do a slice when I have a fry up. You dip it in your egg/beans/tom as you go. Fantastic. 

At the end of cooking your other stuff you add a bit more oil to the pan (I prefer rapeseed oil), add the bread, turn it over so both sides absorb a bit of the oil and whack the temp right up. 60s job. I usually do it while I make a nice mug of tea to go with the meal. 

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I disagree. The most vain and emotionally immature, yes but the level of education and information freely available to todays youth is miles above anything that any generation before them had. Due to social media also, todays generation interact with more people of different views and beliefs than we ever did which has made them far more empathetic and tolerant than we ever where. 

Perhaps I did say this on unpopular views thread 

I never said mine was the majoritys, they do have a lot of information they often make poor use of it.

1 minute ago, twister said:

Perhaps I did say this on unpopular views thread 

I never said mine was the majoritys, they do have a lot of information they often make poor use of it.

I don't actually think it is an unpopular opinion. I think every generation thinks the generation after them is a poor comparison to their own. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, twister said:

this generation z or whatever is called glued to their phones unable to have a argument with a different point of view, is the most brain dead of any that's ever existed

That's not an unpopular opinion. Everyone over the age of about 40 thinks it.

I'd say that generation is actually way more switched-on than any before them, including mine.

3 hours ago, twister said:

this generation z or whatever is called glued to their phones unable to have a argument with a different point of view, is the most brain dead of any that's ever existed

I'd say that statement is pretty universal across the generations. On pretty much any kind of social media for every young person who is closed minded there's an older one just the same. I think people just generally don't like to be wrong tbf, I think making it a generational thing might not be accurate. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I'd say that statement is pretty universal across the generations. On pretty much any kind of social media for every young person who is closed minded there's an older one just the same. I think people just generally don't like to be wrong tbf, I think making it a generational thing might not be accurate. 

Yeah, this.

Considering that one is wrong and changing the mind is something a lot of people - myself included - have difficulty with, regardless of age.

It's not like the previous generations, for the most part, were any more open-minded and considerate about other points of view when it came to race or sexuality, is it?

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I'd say that generation is actually way more switched-on than any before them, including mine.

Might seem strange to a lot of people but the amount of young kids making money and starting their own businesses from their bedrooms with YouTube channels and the like proves this. They might not be washing cars, delivering papers and sweeping chimneys like the old days but they’re incredibly resourceful in different ways. Hats off to them. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I am under 40 way under 40 and think it

23 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Can't remember the last time I watched one in full. Used to be the thing to do - you'd do charity-based activities and fun things at school during the day then watch the stuff in the evening and see how much they've raised and if they can eclipse the year(s) before. 

Nowadays I barely take notice. I've become one of those people who will donate to charity as I see fit and I don't think that's a bad thing? It makes me uncomfortable being almost guilt-tripped into doing it. 

I do like the comedy spin-off programmes though on Channel 4 for Stand Up To Cancer, like GBBO when they get the celebs on. You can tell the celebs this year have gone up in standard cos they don't have anything else to do lol 

6 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Why did the Sarah Everard murder receive such attention from MPs, twitter lefties, and feminists? Why were there vigils? Other recent horrific murders of Lorraine Cox and Keeley Bunker made headlines on the day but little else, they were soon forgotten.

Because the suspect in the Everard case is literally someone whose job it is to keep women safe. As sad and horrific as the cases you highlight are, that's what makes it so particularly shocking.

On 19/03/2021 at 21:09, Trav Le Bleu said:

Comic Relief.

A series of not very funny skits interspersed with very depressing true stories.

It's a laugh a second innit.

I can't stand anything like it. I'd also like to know how much these celebrities give to charity, even more so this year when I see them on the tv asking the public for cash in the middle of a pandemic when people are struggling and have been laid off.

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Porridge is a horrible cereal.

Arguably true, though might just be OK on a winter's morning with a bit of honey in.

It is possible to train yourself to eat horrible cereal, though. I've done that with Shredded Wheat, which used to seem like eating cardboard to me.

Having read that it was much healthier than Fruit 'n' Fibre, I made the switch and now happily eat it every day.

"Thanks for sharing, Alf, that was stimulating".

"No problem, lads and lasses" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1