Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

I'm not really getting all the hate for tipping. All I'd say is I'm guessing the people on here who are against it have never worked in a job where they relied on tipping to pay the bills. When I worked those roles it was the kind of thing where you would never expect someone to tip but it was really appreciated when they did and made the shitty job seem worth it. 

4 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Blimey.

my lad is washing pots whilst at college.Gets paid £4.25 an hour with no tips.

Different line of work but We are desperately busy at my work and he works there when needed.My MD has said to me I should be so proud of how hard he works,thinks on his feet and will look straight away for the next job.

Asked how much he gets at the restaurant and doubled it.

What I’m trying to say is you have made a huge assumption “lazy,disinterested knob end” to a massive proportion of staff you don’t know( not just my 17 year old) 

I apologise to you. I guess it seemed to be a genarilsation. I didn't mean it to be. I have no doubt that there's many like your lad and they need so much support but those in front of house are seen to be the beneficiaries of tips. I don't think many, myself included,  realise that tips get shared amongst all staff. I genuinely hope your lad does well.

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I apologise to you. I guess it seemed to be a genarilsation. I didn't mean it to be. I have no doubt that there's many like your lad and they need so much support but those in front of house are seen to be the beneficiaries of tips. I don't think many, myself included,  realise that tips get shared amongst all staff. I genuinely hope your lad does well.

No need to apologise.There are a lot out there like that.Luckily he is a grafter,always has been.Paper round,working at the Indian and selling sweets and drinks at school got him £70-£80 a week at 15 ,including free curry!

Although he absolutely baffles us.Doing A level physics so he can do a job that doesn’t involve needing Physics.

pushing himself to the limit to join the parachute regiment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

No need to apologise.There are a lot out there like that.Luckily he is a grafter,always has been.Paper round,working at the Indian and selling sweets and drinks at school got him £70-£80 a week at 15 ,including free curry!

Although he absolutely baffles us.Doing A level physics so he can do a job that doesn’t involve needing Physics.

Wow. Full respect 🖒🖒

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I'm not really getting all the hate for tipping. All I'd say is I'm guessing the people on here who are against it have never worked in a job where they relied on tipping to pay the bills. When I worked those roles it was the kind of thing where you would never expect someone to tip but it was really appreciated when they did and made the shitty job seem worth it. 

I THINK the anti tipping feeling is that is an acknowledgement that the staff are being UNDERPAID and instead of the business paying for their staff, they are EXPECTING their customers to do so.

If your business is a legitimate business, it will pay fairly and pay its taxes (which are lower if they pay lower wages and dont report tips).

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Cogs and wheels .

Need to educate yourself on how it works at the back.They don’t stop and really get some shit jobs.

You can do what you want btw.

I do appreciate that I don't know much about a busy kitchen other than what I see on TV. 

10 hours ago, Sampson said:

It never works like that in reality though.

Dish cleaners do an honest, good day's work and get paid nothing - I would never he surprised if I learnt a lot of them are immigrants being taken advantage of who don't even get minimum wage. Chefs only get paid well in more upmarket restaurants and it's pretty infamous for chefs to have to work crazy long hours often 60+ hours a week because the pay is so poor.

They're all on a pittance, but difference is the waiters get the tips. Not saying they don't do a good job or don't deserve it, but really fail to see why just because they're the one you "face" they should get everything extra.

Are you just tipping for the service though? Or is it just that good dishwashers and good chefs go unnoticed to you when they're doing a good job?

Let's put it another way - if the food was bad and chronically undercooked and your cutlery was filthy, would you still want to leave a tip?

If the food was bad and the cutlery filthy I'd  not go there again or just walk out. Basic levels of culinary skill and hygiene are the restaurant's responsibility and will make or break their business through reviews and word of mouth. I don't think that's something that should mean the diner pays extra to reward. 

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's understandable that people only appreciate what they can see and touch but the people in the kitchen are not just twiddling their thumbs and food magically appears.  You get a lot sweatier working in a kitchen than you do running tables, each role has its own challenges and it's inherently unfair if only the members of staff that the public can see get to benefit from a customer's generosity following a positive dining experience.  You wouldn't leave a tip if the food was shit and you didn't want to finish it, or if all the cutlery had bits of old food on them, even if the waiting staff were the most polite you'd ever encountered, it's a team effort to get your tip.

If I had issues with the food or cleanliness that were small enough not to be major issues, and the waiter was doing a good job in sorting them out quickly then at the end of the meal, yes I'd tip them for that. 

9 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Your lad sounds like a real gem. You obviously raised him right. He may not need physics in his next job, but you can't put a price on overall education. He might want to go into the more technical side of that job at some point and a good scientific background could be a real help. Also, as a lover of physics myself I could never discourage it. 

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

If the food was bad and the cutlery filthy I'd  not go there again or just walk out.

And then the waiter would get nothing. His tips depend on more people than just him, so they should get a share. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Bacon is overrated.

North American bacon? Dry, insubstantial or rock hard stuff, yeah, maybe.

The moist and flexible UK version you put in a cob with brown sauce?  You are havin a giraffe. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, peach0000 said:

To be more specific. Bacon ruins burgers for me I never get why restaurants love to stick it on all of them. I don't mind the stuff but it's definitely overused. 

So true. Good bacon in a cob, happy days. In a burger - no. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

Bacon is fine but it’s not the be all and end all of cooked breakfast food like people make out. I would always chose a sausage cob over a bacon cob for example. 

There's a lot of credence to this. My take is this:

The most basic bacon you can get is better than the most basic sausage. However, when you start looking at quality products - butchers and so forth - sausages start to outstrip bacon by a fair distance. A butcher's pork and leek sausage cob is infinitely better than a butcher's bacon cob. 

Bacon has a better bottom end but sausage beats it all over the place in the higher margins.

• Like 3