Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

I don't care for the widespread use of "passed away", "passed on" and especially just "passed" as a euphemism for "died".

For me, it seems like an attempt to play down the massive significance of death - and therefore the importance of life and how you use your life.

When someone I care about dies, it's a major, awful change: they were here, now they're gone forever. I appreciate that some people have religious beliefs, but I don't, so to me they haven't "passed" into some other dimension or state, their soul isn't somewhere else. They have ceased to exist and I don't want to downplay that painful reality. I find it healthier to recognise it as a part of human/animal existence, feel the pain and gradually come to terms with it.

I sort of agree with that Pratchett quote that @Buceposted the other day - that the timespan for which someone is alive is only the core of their life and that they only fully die when the ripples of their life end (memories and influences on others etc.).

But even then, the difference between the "core" while someone is physically alive as an active agent and the "ripples" of memories and influences is pretty marked.

That's just how I view it. I wouldn't criticise anyone for preferring "passed" or its variants if they find it helpful in their grief or sensitive towards others.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I think Manchester City do have a reasonable claim to the title ‘City’ on it’s own. Certainly more than we do.

Nobody has a reasonable claim to the names City, United, Rovers etc. There are numerous teams with those suffixes and therefore no team has a right to ring-fence the name. Only teams who can be reasonably referred to by their suffix are those with a unique one.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I think Manchester City do have a reasonable claim to the title ‘City’ on it’s own. Certainly more than we do.

Yeah I agree to a point, seeing that it’s the only part that defines there name from the other club and there main rivals. 
We don’t often refer to football clubs in there full titles these days and whether we like it or not we are just Leicester or the foxes. 
Within the county lines referring to us as city still makes sense but not beyond it.

57 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I don’t think anyone has a reasonable claim to appropriate for themselves that part of a name that is rightly available to and used by other teams. 

Not only does it smack of arrogance but it’s yet another example of the rich and powerful clubs  failing to recognise that meaningful football occurs outside of their own “elite” group. 

So I would have repped your post for being entirely suitable for this thread but none of the available options seemed fit for purpose.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah I agree to a point, seeing that it’s the only part that defines there name from the other club and there main rivals. 
We don’t often refer to football clubs in there full titles these days and whether we like it or not we are just Leicester or the foxes. 
Within the county lines referring to us as city still makes sense but not beyond it.

Noticed how in Leicestershire we often refer to the sports team as 'the city', 'the tigers', 'the riders' etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

What about Bristol? Do they have as much right as Manchester?

There are currently 13 teams using the title “City” I think each one of them has a right to use it and be called City as much as Manchester.

Bonus points if anyone can name all 13...

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Noticed how in Leicestershire we often refer to the sports team as 'the city', 'the tigers', 'the riders' etc. 

Most nicknames of football clubs seem to include the definite article, although the ones that really annoy me are 'The Tractor Boys' and 'The Pilgrims', for some strange reason. Also, 'The Arsenal' is quite annoying. Having said that, it would be nice to see the leagues tables published using the clubs' nicknames for a change.

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

There are currently 13 teams using the title “City” I think each one of them has a right to use it and be called City as much as Manchester.

leicester

bristol

norwich

coventry

lincoln

stoke

manchester 

swansea

cardiff

hull

york

exeter

birmingham

i may have just employed everyone in the office (3 people) into getting them all without google. productivity is through the roof here today

wow, what a rush. I need a lie down

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Not really no,

Its about broader appeal, The Robins haven’t been a top flight club for......? The Nickname of Man City is the Citizens which also unfortunately is easier to shorten to City. 
It’s not about what right the fans have, of course we can all affectionately call our club City but don’t be upset if someone thinks you are talking about the team in Manchester.

If you ask someone on holiday what football team they support and the reply is City, who would you assume they meant?

7 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

leicester

bristol

norwich

coventry

lincoln

stoke

manchester 

swansea

cardiff

hull

york

exeter

birmingham

i may have just employed everyone in the office (3 people) into getting them all without google. productivity is through the roof here today

Don't forget Brechin, Edinburgh and Elgin in Scottish League Two and Derry in the Irish Prem Division.

10 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Leicester, Manchester, Bristol, York, Norwich, Colchester, Birmingham, Hull, Bradford, Coventry, Stoke, Chelmsford. Exeter.  Phew.  Had to use a map.

19 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

leicester

bristol

norwich

coventry

lincoln

stoke

manchester 

swansea

cardiff

hull

york

exeter

birmingham

York are not in the football league currently, you may need to get back up and find one more

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Leicester, Manchester, Bristol, York, Norwich, Colchester, Birmingham, Hull, Bradford, Coventry, Stoke, Chelmsford. Exeter.  Phew.  Had to use a map.

Colchester United

ans Chelmsford and York not currently in the football league.

Probably should have added to the question playing in the English Football League, other than Leicester City.

So Leicester is one, there are 13 other Teams named City in the English Football League - top 4 divisions.

Edited by Aus Fox

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Here's a question:-

Which is the only current English league club that isn't a 'City' but which contains the letters c-i-t-y?

Accrington Stanley. 

Mate, it’s no fun if you have the answer there!

Glad you did though I’d have worked on that one for hours!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I don't think they have a claim to it necessarily but it is a bit weird how some of our fans get upset when they see people calling them City. It is pretty obvious why they get called it and I think referring to Leicester as "City" or "the City" is something done almost exclusively by people who are from and/or living in Leicester, which of course loads of our fans aren't.

I personally don't call either team City - they're Man City and we're Leicester. As long as everyone knows who you're talking about, who's really arsed?

• Like 2