Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Not sure how old you are mate, but I'm 55 and we had baps when i was a kid.

Yes,baps (bread wise) to me means a soft cob or roll if you prefer.The sort of thing you’d put a burger in.I’m not quite as old as you but everyone I knew would know the difference when I was a kid.Mothers Pride did nice baps I seem to remember.In the southeast hardly anyone knows what a cob is.It’s either a hard or soft roll.Yorkshire where everything tends to be barn or tea cake,is a flat bigger version of the bap.Well that’s been my experience.It’s pretty hard to get anything resembling a cob outside the midlands.I miss Coombs so much.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Not adopting a 'minimalist' approach to living is such a waste of non-renewable resource and is damaging to us as conscious beings. Less is more, in all almost every aspect of human life. 

did you use a non-minimalist mobile phone/ tablet/ laptop/ computer to write this post? 

:whistle:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Not adopting a 'minimalist' approach to living is such a waste of non-renewable resource and is damaging to us as conscious beings. Less is more, in all almost every aspect of human life. 

Well our squad is certainly adopting that philosophy this season 

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

Not sure how old you are mate, but I'm 55 and we had baps when i was a kid.

Well, I'm a little older - basically grew up in the 60s in inner Leicester - round Highfields,  and I stand by what I said. Strictly cob city mate. 

13 hours ago, Bamboo said:

In my experience, more is more and less is less in almost every aspect of human life. The only way for mankind to stop ruining the planet is if he has a mass cull of his own species and everyone left reverts back to stone-age living, which ain't gonna happen.

10 minutes ago, String fellow said:

In my experience, more is more and less is less in almost every aspect of human life. The only way for mankind to stop ruining the planet is if he has a mass cull of his own species and everyone left reverts back to stone-age living, which ain't gonna happen.

Nah, neo-Malthusianism and anarcho-primitivism (former and latter of the viewpoints there) are both critically flawed in their own way.

Technological advances and increased quality of life have already shown that they slow down population growth and resource crises are almost always a matter of logistics rather than scarcity.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Formula 1 and motorsport in general is overwhelmingly boring. 

Agreed. Though I'm not sure which I find dullest - Motorsport or Tennis. 

Just don't get the obsession with cars etc that so many people seem to have. 

Genuinely think the world would be a better place if they'd never been invented. 

As for tennis - dear God, I can't stick it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Formula 1 and motorsport in general is overwhelmingly boring. 

I agree F1 has been boring for a while, but it was far from boring during the 70's/80's/90's IMO

I think most Moto GP and Superbikes is good viewing though. Rarely a boring race in those and often lots of overtaking and close finishes.

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Genuinely think the world would be a better place if they'd never been invented. 

Can't stand watching it but I love playing it. Strange.

F1 is superb. Can't beat a lazy Sunday afternoon watching the grand prix.

I get it's not so competitive right now, but I love it for the same reason I used to love playing wargames when I was younger. It's all the stats and maths behind it. The technical aspect of how tyres work, the strategy of the pitstops/usage of the right tyre types, predictions of how different car builds can shave a tenth of a second off a lap time. The me, it satisfies the nerdy IT/data worker in me more than any other sport.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stoopid said:

ill see your televised Tennis.. and raise you.. televised Golf 
BBC Radio - The English We Speak, Mic drop

I think golf is hard to appreciate on TV if you’ve never had a go at playing yourself. You realise just how ****ing good the tour pros are when you realise shots they aren’t happy with would be career best shots for any normal bloke/lady. I love watching golf It fascinates me how easy they make it look. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

Kelechi's goal wasn't that good. 

Wasn't as good as other goals like it, like Vardy, Van Persie, Bartlett, the ball coming over the top and hitting it first time, but its still a difficult skill and was a good finish. Depending on of there's an ton of stunning goals this month, I expect it to be nominated for the goal of the month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

I think golf is hard to appreciate on TV if you’ve never had a go at playing yourself. You realise just how ****ing good the tour pros are when you realise shots they aren’t happy with would be career best shots for any normal bloke/lady. I love watching golf It fascinates me how easy they make it look. 

Golf for me falls into the 'boring to watch, fun to play' category. 

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Golf for me falls into the 'boring to watch, fun to play' category. 

Isnt it class to play? Nice hot summers evening, walking around with your mates and a few bottles of beer whilst the light fades. Burning pound notes as you top another brand new 3-piece golf ball in to the lake. Beautiful. 

20 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Cars will be quite different in the not too distant future. We'll all take mass transport to travel longer distances, whatever that may look like (hyperloop?!) and have told an automated electric car to meet us when we arrive. It will be tracking our progress so it arrives exactly when needed and then take us effortlessly to our destination. There will be no traffic jams or direct particulate pollution (hopefully grids will continue to be increasingly based on renewables).

We'll pay a subscription fee for the transport, or it will just be taxed and provided 'free at point of use'.

Car ownership will be very limited, but we'll be able to own some internal combustion engines for recreational activities, like racing. But generally no one will own a car.

Scoring in darts should start at 0 and end on 501, not the other way round. All that subtraction is a pain. What other sports are there with a backwards on method of scoring? Also, adding treble 25 to the very centre of the bull would be interesting. It would reduce the fastest possible checkout from 9 darts to 8. E.g. 6xT25 + 1xS11 + 1xD20.