Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

Is Slimani of premier league quality

5 hours ago, reynard said:

No. He doesn't offer a different approach, in fact at the moment he doesn't offer anything but hopefully over time will settle though I wouldn't be surprised to see Nacho trying to get a move in January.

No one would touch him considering the buyback clause he has on his contract 

14 hours ago, lee7 said:

If we want our money back or as much of it as possible then selling him to another Prem team is the only chance we probably have of doing that. But you can guarantee he'd score against us lol

I think if he was a first choice striker for someone then he'd get 14/15 goals in the prem each season. 

He just doesn't really fit in with our new style of play nor does he possess the quality to take vardys starting place.

MAYBE he should after the last game and all that looses ! Vardy loose spring many goals maybe time to get him rest and warm hh

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Better than Leo and excellent back up ...    Keep.      Especially as we really don't know how Iheanacho will fit in, or if he is indeed good enough.

It's not that simple that he's an excellent back up and better than Leo.

Economically he's poor value. A near £30m transfer fee and wages to match for a player who rarely plays and his value decreasing as he ages. Any offer north of £20m and we should seriously consider it.

• Like 1

Won’t score if he’s not played consistently. Will score if he is. Was never a financially sensible purchase at his age, but I personally feel he has never had the consistent chance he needs. We all know strikers are reliant on confidence - how can this guy have much being used so sporadically?

12 hours ago, Gerard said:

It's not that simple that he's an excellent back up and better than Leo.

Economically he's poor value. A near £30m transfer fee and wages to match for a player who rarely plays and his value decreasing as he ages. Any offer north of £20m and we should seriously consider it.

The price tag is irrelevant, and £20-£30m is easily affordable for us, not ideal to waste it but you could argue he has repaid some back with his goals that kept us afloat at the start of last season and beat Porto which meant we topped the group and got a better tie in the CL.

Take money out of the equation, do you want him in the squad?  Does he add to the squad? Does he give us another option?

The answer is a yes for me, but we need to figure out how to use him effectively. It shouldn't be that difficult, he loves to score with his head, so scrap the inverted wingers Albrighton on the right, Mahrez/Gray on the left, Vardy/Okazaki/Gray/Silva behind and feed him. He does work hard, but he isn't as fast or mobile as Vardy/Okazaki, so we can't play the high fast press, but we can still play a pressing game, just a bit smarter. We could use him as an impact sub, send on the battering ram when we are struggling to break down teams, but we still struggle to do that effectively. To accommodate Slim we need to change our style of play, if we aren't going to do that we should look to sell and get in someone who can fit into our way of playing into the side. Either Nacho man, or another, comparable players to Vardy/Okazaki in the PL are Shane Long or Dwight Gayle or Calum Wilson, or we have George Thomas who has been looking good for the U23s.

Puel needs to decide on where we are going and who is coming with us, and use January to tidy up the squad.

Edited by Captain...

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The price tag is irrelevant, and £20-£30m is easily affordable for us, not ideal to waste it but you could argue he has repaid some back with his goals that kept us afloat at the start of last season and beat Porto which meant we topped the group and got a better tie in the CL.

Take money out of the equation, do you want him in the squad?  Does he add to the squad? Does he give us another option?

The answer is a yes for me, but we need to figure out how to use him effectively. It shouldn't be that difficult, he loves to score with his head, so scrap the inverted wingers Albrighton on the right, Mahrez/Gray on the left, Vardy/Okazaki/Gray/Silva behind and feed him. He does work hard, but he isn't as fast or mobile as Vardy/Okazaki, so we can't play the high fast press, but we can still play a pressing game, just a bit smarter. We could use him as an impact sub, send on the battering ram when we are struggling to break down teams, but we still struggle to do that effectively. To accommodate Slim we need to change our style of play, if we aren't going to do that we should look to sell and get in someone who can fit into our way of playing into the side. Either Nacho man, or another, comparable players to Vardy/Okazaki in the PL are Shane Long or Dwight Gayle or Calum Wilson.

Puel needs to decide on where we are going and who is coming with us, and use January to tidy up the squad.

The money is ALWAYS relevant. Every player has a price and being able to cash in on a reserve player who is approaching 30 for £20m-£30m is the sort of business you don't turn down lightly.

Just now, Gerard said:

The money is ALWAYS relevant. Every player has a price and being able to cash in on a reserve player who is approaching 30 for £20m-£30m is the sort of business you don't turn down lightly.

The money is irrelevant as it has already been spent. What we paid for him was too much, but we had just won the league and were guaranteed a ton of CL money we were not getting any bargains that season.

The amount we could get for him is also irrelevant, what matters is do we want him in the squad or not. If not get rid any money back is a bonus and the saving on wages probably even more so than the fee, this goes for Musa, Amartey, Ulloa, Benalouane too. If that means letting some players go for a nominal fee then so be it. We want the most effective squad possible and however we go about doing it means spending money/losing money.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

The money is irrelevant as it has already been spent. What we paid for him was too much, but we had just won the league and were guaranteed a ton of CL money we were not getting any bargains that season.

The amount we could get for him is also irrelevant, what matters is do we want him in the squad or not. If not get rid any money back is a bonus and the saving on wages probably even more so than the fee, this goes for Musa, Amartey, Ulloa, Benalouane too. If that means letting some players go for a nominal fee then so be it. We want the most effective squad possible and however we go about doing it means spending money/losing money.

That's absolute rubbish, we have a finite amount of money at the club so it's never irrelevant. 

If for example we refused to get our money back on Slimani then someone needs sacking. Slimani probably has another 2.5 years left on his contract and if his role here is going to be a Vardy back up then we're throwing away a £28m offer and about £8m in wages just so he can play the equivalent of half a season in the next 2.5 years.

It's great business if you can buy a player who has failed here for one reason or another and still get your money back. That money can always be used to roll the dice again with another player that Puel prefers and who may be better suited to us.

29 minutes ago, Gerard said:

That's absolute rubbish, we have a finite amount of money at the club so it's never irrelevant. 

If for example we refused to get our money back on Slimani then someone needs sacking. Slimani probably has another 2.5 years left on his contract and if his role here is going to be a Vardy back up then we're throwing away a £28m offer and about £8m in wages just so he can play the equivalent of half a season in the next 2.5 years.

It's great business if you can buy a player who has failed here for one reason or another and still get your money back. That money can always be used to roll the dice again with another player that Puel prefers and who may be better suited to us.

I'm not saying we refuse to get our money back, but money shouldn't be a consideration as to whether we keep him or not. He is in our squad and we know what he offers. The question is do we want to keep him or not?

If not get rid, for as much as possible but get rid in January and if that means we have to sell him for £10m then we do that, getting rid of him quickly is more important than getting our money back. Getting our squad in the right shape is more important than a few million. It is just a more expensive example of Matt Mills, he was a negative disruptive influence on the squad, we over paid for him and we wanted rid. Pearson was right to let him go as quickly as possible even though we made a significant loss.

If Puel thinks he adds value to the squad and wants to keep him, then it doesn't really matter we paid for him, or what we could sell him for, he is in the squad to do a job and Puel decides what that job should be.

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

If we sell him, I hope its not to a premier league rival. Although I think we already have plenty of strikers, I'd sign Giroud to replace him, while hopefully getting rid of Musa and Ulloa.

What makes you think he'd sign here? And why would you sign a striker who has exactly the same profile as Slim?

We're a good team.

Giroud's link up play is in a different league to Slim's and he's a far better player.

Arsenal are a good team too, I dare say a bit better than us. Anyway you'd buy Giroud to put him... where exactly?

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

But the game time he gets isn't nearly enough for a player of his quality, and I was thinking to put him in goal obviously

Sarcasm aside, please answer the question: where, in your opinion, he's supposed to play? And please, please just don't tell me "behind Vardy".

4 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Sarcasm aside, please answer the question: where, in your opinion, he's supposed to play? And please, please just don't tell me "behind Vardy".

Well he's not a no.10, i'd either play him next to Vardy or alone, you need different kind of players for different games.

I think rotation of Vardy maybe something to consider for the future, having multiple strikers for rotation will be key to seeing Vardy still playing to a high quality in the future.

But look, I just think he'd be a great upgrade on Slim; if hypothetically he were to leave. I'd sign him in hope he'd give Vardy some true competition, which lets be honest Slim doesn't seem to be doing for one reason or another.

Edited by lcfc sheff

Well he's not a no.10, i'd either play him next to Vardy or alone, you need different kind of players for different games

Giroud turned down Everton in the summer, he's not coming here to play second fiddle behind Vardy.

The last thing we need is to replace an expensive near 30yo reserve with another one.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

I have to agree, assuming we see a place for him in the squad, should we sell we’d need a replacement. A striker isn’t going to come cheap. So say we sell for £20m and spend that sum on a replacement, the question then becomes ‘Is it going to be an upgrade on Slimani?’ We already know what Slim can do, so again should we sell we’d be taking a very expensive risk. 

If we were to go cheap and buy someone for around £10m, it’d be an even bigger gamble. This kind of figure would get someone who’s had a good season at Championship level. 

It’d be fairly easy to cut our loses on Slimani, but after that the cycle continues. 

Just now, lcfc sheff said:

Well he's not a no.10, i'd either play him next to Vardy or alone, you need different kind of players for different games

Mate, he ain't coming. He won't leave Arsenal's bench just to warm ours. It also doesn't make sense to buy a pure striker like Giroud to play him, out of position, as a 10.  Either you buy a real 10 or you bench Vardy (which is not going to happen).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Mate, he ain't coming. He won't leave Arsenal's bench just to warm ours. It also doesn't make sense to buy a pure striker like Giroud to play him, out of position, as a 10.  Either you buy a real 10 or you bench Vardy (which is not going to happen).

Or you play Vardy wider/deeper.

That is really the only way to incorporate different types of strikers, we either play Slim or Nacho as the lead striker or stop signing strikers that don't play in the same way as Vardy.