Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

Is Slimani of premier league quality

43 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Mate, he ain't coming. He won't leave Arsenal's bench just to warm ours. It also doesn't make sense to buy a pure striker like Giroud to play him, out of position, as a 10.  Either you buy a real 10 or you bench Vardy (which is not going to happen).

or play two 9's, I don't think Giroud is good from deep, better to hold up the ball and link up if hes played as a 9, doesn't mean vardy has to accommodate him by playing on the wing or as a 10. He wouldn't warm our bench, he's a quality player.

51 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Giroud turned down Everton in the summer, he's not coming here to play second fiddle behind Vardy.

The last thing we need is to replace an expensive near 30yo reserve with another one.

I don't think he'd play second fiddle, he may even start over him but I was thinking he could be more of a good option to play next to Vardy. He's an upgrade on Slim, which is something we should be aiming for, IF Slim was to actually leave anyways.

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I don't think he'd play second fiddle, he may even start over him but I was thinking he could be more of a good option to play next to Vardy. He's an upgrade on Slim, which is something we should be aiming for, IF Slim was to actually leave anyways.

Puel hasn't played two No9's in the same team yet and Slimani and Vardy aren't compatible in the same team as we've seen under previous managers.  He won't be signing another out and out striker to sit on the bench.

Edited by Gerard

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Puel hasn't played two No9's in the same team yet and Slimani and Vardy aren't compatible in the same team as we've seen under previous managers.  He won't be signing another out and out striker to sit on the bench.

That's why a striker like Giroud with his link up may be compatible. Ulloa and Vardy used to link up well in the season we stayed up, so clearly Vardy isn't the one who's at fault. Giroud to replace Slim could mean he either starts with vardy, starts alone or starts on the bench, all I'm saying is he'd be a great upgrade on slim and could add a different dimension to our play if he were to sign, which btw I don't think is something crazy to think about as some people seem to be suggesting.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

I started this thread some time ago, i think the answer is quite clear now, he is just not good enough. Slimani is not not good enough for the premier league

Really?

So what have you learned from Slimani's 105 minutes playing time at Newcastle?

I’m a afraid that, to date, the arse end of 30 million for Slimani is looking like a very poor joke.

I said months ago, I can’t think we’ve ever signed a player for less ‘value for money’.

Musa has been woeful, as has Mendy. But they cost us nothing like Slimani did.

Possibly the worst bit of business the club has ever done on a single player, unless by some miracle he starts both playing and scoring.

• Like 1

As the story goes... The club didn't want to spend more than about £15m on him but Ranieri was insistent they go balls out to sign him no matter what.

And they eventually paid the thick end of £30m.

That kind of stuff was, sadly, the beginning of the end for Uncle Claudio.

Similar story to Mendy really. Came with high hopes, but struggled to adapt to our style and injuries haven't helped. 

He was just the wrong type of player for our style and current players we had. 

I still rate him as a goal scorer, just not in our team and it just goes to show how hard it is to pair someone with Vardy, which i actually think is a near impossible task as a front two and will only work with a no.10 behind him now.

Slimani should probably be sold this summer, and we should bring in a quality no.10 and big lump no.9 who we can stick on as a plan B. 

Imagine we will have to sell at about 15-20 million, if we're lucky! 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

At least Slimani has paid back some of his fee in goals (13) and assists (6), add up what that means to us in terms of champions league money and league position prize money, and he's been of far better value than quite a few signings (Silva, Mendy, Musa). Whether he fits our system is up for debate, but he made stuff happen. I'd rather he was here and fit since the new year than not.

I see that that response has got plenty of plus ones, so I’ll ask you this:

Slimani at 30 mill was bought to the club surely as our main striker, alongside Vardy. Personally, I expected him to be starting most games. Why spend so much on a player to bench him most games?

Therefore, if a bid comes in for Slim over the summer (let’s say 20 mill for arguments sake), would you sell him and seek a replacement OR stick with Slimani to be the goal scorer the club would like him to be?

Simple question..no politicians answers... lol

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Slimani at 30 mill was bought to the club surely as our main striker, alongside Vardy. Personally, I expected him to be starting most games. Why spend so much on a player to bench him most games?

Therefore, if a bid comes in for Slim over the summer (let’s say 20 mill for arguments sake), would you sell him and seek a replacement OR stick with Slimani to be the goal scorer the club would like him to be?

To be honest, given that we started this season with six first team forwards and one recognised rightback, I'd say it's pretty clear that our recruitment team don't have the foggiest what they're doing.

As long as Vardy is at the club, it was always going to be a stupid move. Cut our losses this summer and move on.

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If someone offered £20m we would be mad not to take it, his value has plummeted since we signed him, that has been more down to the club than Slim.

He has performed and scored when called upon, but has suffered from a few injuries but more than anything he has suffered from how we play him. He isn't  Okazaki and yet he was expected to, and did, run around and close people down when he was playing behind Vardy. His strength in the air, but we rarely gave him service, he isn't that quick so when we are counter attacking he can't get in the box.

Ironically the way we play now would suit him, slower build up means he  can get in a good position in the box, overlapping full backs to cross it in for him to attack and less running around like a headless chicken. Instead we send him out on loan and start  punting a load of balls in the box for Vardy and Okazaki.

Slim is too slow to be effective in our style of lump and chase. He would do much better with a side like Arsenal where the midfield and wingers can draw players to create space and then can do that final killer pass as Slim does know where the net is.

As I was typing I had a quick glimpse in my mind of Simpson doing that wing back move, surging past a midfielder and dissecting the right backs to deliver a perfect assist, then I burst out laughing for a good while. 

40 minutes ago, Captain... said:

If someone offered £20m we would be mad not to take it, his value has plummeted since we signed him, that has been more down to the club than Slim.

He has performed and scored when called upon, but has suffered from a few injuries but more than anything he has suffered from how we play him. He isn't  Okazaki and yet he was expected to, and did, run around and close people down when he was playing behind Vardy. His strength in the air, but we rarely gave him service, he isn't that quick so when we are counter attacking he can't get in the box.

Ironically the way we play now would suit him, slower build up means he  can get in a good position in the box, overlapping full backs to cross it in for him to attack and less running around like a headless chicken. Instead we send him out on loan and start  punting a load of balls in the box for Vardy and Okazaki.

Great point however we wouldn’t be offered anymore than £10m and that value is purly because of over inflated premier league transfer values; I hope to be proved wrong in the summer but something tells me the only way we will get him off the wage bill is to wait until

his contract is up and show him the door along with many other signings made in the last two years ? 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

It's not really a simple question as I don't know who the manager will be and whether he'd fit their formation, or whether in fact he'd be happy to stay.

I'd be inclined to take the money and look for a better fit to our system all things considered. Plus we know have the younger Iheanacho to plough on with (although I'd be happy to cash in on him also)

Okazaki is done, Leo needs to go, Musa will be off on loan again. So we definitely need another option or even two.