Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

1hr 57.

Was flying but that bloody hill into Birstall got the legs. Then it was clinging on. The 2 hour pacer was chasing me up New Walk and some fella said to me keep your head up. Wish I could have thanked him because that’s what kept me going. 

Well done.

I gave up the ghost with the 2hr pacemaker at Highcross!

Was infront of him all the way up to then!!

2:05 yesterday :)

Seeing as I didn't train very well and someone decided to install New Walk as the final stretch, I'm really pleased with that lol

Credit to everyone putting the graft in and the volunteers and public that came out because they really do lift you when you need it 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Anyone had any experience of doing any other local based half’s? 

I noticed the Leicestershire Half is in Feb but I’m torn between that and Rutland Water Spring Half in April 

I did the Notts half many years ago, oys fairly flat.

I wore my City top!!!

7 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I noticed the Leicestershire Half is in Feb but I’m torn between that and Rutland Water Spring Half in April 

I did the Nottingham half 8 years ago, pretty good course. 
I’m looking at the Leicestershire half at prestwold in Feb. 
Need to sign up to something else, after doing the Nottingham half I pretty much stopped running until early this year. 

7 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I looked at that too but some of the reviews are a bit off putting about the airfield section being dull and running for ages into headwinds lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I looked at that too but some of the reviews are a bit off putting about the airfield section being dull and running for ages into headwinds lol

It is, but everyone I know who has ran it has achieved a PB far exceeding their expectations.

• Like 2

Ran for around 3 hours last week and did a 15-miler that also incorporated at 530m fell top to bottom. Only plodded along all off road and much of it on heather and only 10-12 minute mile’ing but pleased I did it as I’ve only been doing 7-8 mile tops in terms of distance. Last two miles were extremely slow though as I was about done but pleased I got out. Gonna do a couple of runs this week but maybe not as far.

On 31/10/2022 at 09:05, CosbehFox said:

I did the Robin Hood marathon in Nottingham but the first half was the course of the half and it was decent (the second half to complete the marathon was horrific).

Also did the Rutland one which was actually a week before the above. That was decent, very quiet and not much around but nice scenery.

Oh and I did the first version of the Leamington half which was early July I believe. Nice areas round there and decent support in some of the villages and Leamington itself.

Edited by KrefelderFox666

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Supposed to be doing the Leicester  half next Sunday but going to have to transfer to the 10km due to niggles and lack of training and being too old for it now!!(52).

Did my first one in 2001 (Robin Hood) and done about 15 since with a PB of 1.47.

BUT increasingly now it's just getting more difficult.

Last year I struggled round at just over 2 hrs.

Kudos to the oldies who amble round, I just cant do it.

Edited by Raj
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Raj said:

Supposed to be doing the Leicester  half next Sunday but going to have to transfer to the 10km due to niggles and lack of training and being too old for it now!!(52).

Did my first one in 2001 (Robin Hood) and done about 15 since with a PB of 1.47.

Top man, doing the 10k myself which is my first ever organised run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Considering stewarding. As mentioned elsewhere done my latest half last week and back off holiday tomorrow. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Raj said:

It does get harder Raj, I have given up with times now I'm 58 and just happy to get round. I did a sprint triathlon yesterday and my PB was 1.08 16 yrs ago and did it in 1.30 yesterday which im happy with.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

It does get harder Raj, I have given up with times now I'm 58 and just happy to get round. I did a sprint triathlon yesterday and my PB was 1.08 16 yrs ago and did it in 1.30 yesterday which im happy with.

The hardest thing now is the training for it.

About 5 years ago i did my PB 1.47 for the HM and i was running midweek to work and back, long weekend runs but NOW even a 6 miler is a chore and real struggle.

2 hours ago, Marmite said:

I’m running the Leicester half tomorrow, hope to get sub 1.50. I know I am capable of doing it but it doesn’t matter what race I run I always go off way too fast and blow out. I need to be more disciplined 

If you've got a fitness watch that tells you your rough pace as you go, check it and remember how it feels. 

I did my first half this year and wasn't pushing myself to go silly, just finish. I kept an eye on that watch and I managed to be fairly consistent, around 20 seconds either side of my average target time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marmite said:

I’m running the Leicester half tomorrow, hope to get sub 1.50. I know I am capable of doing it but it doesn’t matter what race I run I always go off way too fast and blow out. I need to be more disciplined 

Biggest challenge of Leicester is the pacing. It’s a quick start down the hill and sets the tempo to go quick. The end is a real effort around town and up New Walk. So try and save the energy. Go well 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Biggest challenge of Leicester is the pacing. It’s a quick start down the hill and sets the tempo to go quick. The end is a real effort around town and up New Walk. So try and save the energy. Go well 

New walk is a bitch!

I swear it's like 6 miles long🤣🤣🤣