Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
La-Sayona

Leicester's NOT A Shiphole - I Want to Make it My Home

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:08, Nalis said:

Shame, looks cool.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:47, Line-X said:

There is this soon to be demolished "ship - hole" however....

photo0jpg.jpg.6aebb2cc2fa6060dfecab3c3207915bc.jpg

No, no, don't demolish it. I would love to move in there. Plenty of room for my tractor alongside!

On 12/11/2017 at 07:06, La-Sayona said:

A stern salute Foxes.  I wonder if I might bother you with a question since it's the international break and all?

Our eldest, Aethelred the Unready, started university at De Montfort in September.  We've been up to look at the uni and around the town a couple of times and made the trip up yesterday.  He likes it up there and we had a very nice time looking around, especially around the St George district (Queen's Road etc) which looks to be of our sort of stamp - ghetto glam, multicultural shabby chic, militant leftie etc.  

As this has coincided with our dear and very beloved landlord whacking our rent up here in Oxford by yet another £50 per month (now paying £925pm on a 3 bed ex-council semi!) the rents up there look very tempting.  I could get a better house for £600pm up there.  Our daughter, Lilly Longtongue, will also be leaving for uni next summer so it seems like it might be an ideal time to make the move.  We got no family here and not exactly hordes of friends which would make us stay here anyway, it's just really coincidence because of work we ended up here in Cameron's Cosy Caucasian Cotswolds and it seems like it might be time to change our town.

My reason for coming on here is to ask for your genuine thoughts about life in Leicester.  How would you rate it out of 10?  Anyone live in St George's and can talk about that?  Are there better areas where we should be looking?  

I should mention that my other half doesn't drive, so we'd like to be somewhere where we can walk to the shops and get a pint of milk and some cigarettes at night without too much trouble.  We like the countryside OK, but to visit - not to live!  We are latino people and it would be good if there were other latino people about, but that is not so important.   We do like things to be a bit multicultural though, like I said.

Thanks in advance for help!

PS We went to The Golden Lux Cafe in Market Street yesterday for coffee and the pasteles de nata (portuguese custard tarts) were like heaven.  Best thing I've eaten in a long time.  Served warm and crunchy with a gooey custard filling.  Absolutely superb.  If we moved up there, I'd have to eat one every time I went past that shop! 

God bless you 

There are lots of positives with living in Leicester, I will list some below:

1. Great for entrepreneurs. There is many an empty shop, so you could pick up a good unit at a reasonable price.

2. If you have a fobia of high class retail outlets, Leicester will work for you. There isn’t any (or very little anyway) so if that is what you want to avoid, Leicester is brilliant. 

3. It has a great mix of very average restaurants, so if that is your bag, it’s perfect. 

4. If you are a nice person that likes to give to charitable causes, Leicester is ace. There are plenty of beggars, so you can wander around the City and give to your hearts content.

3 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

There are lots of positives with living in Leicester, I will list some below:

1. Great for entrepreneurs. There is many an empty shop, so you could pick up a good unit at a reasonable price.

2. If you have a fobia of high class retail outlets, Leicester will work for you. There isn’t any (or very little anyway) so if that is what you want to avoid, Leicester is brilliant. 

3. It has a great mix of very average restaurants, so if that is your bag, it’s perfect. 

4. If you are a nice person that likes to give to charitable causes, Leicester is ace. There are plenty of beggars, so you can wander around the City and give to your hearts content.

Lol 

1 minute ago, joachim1965 said:

Spencers, the classiest place in town without a shadow of a doubt.

I'd like to go in but I've never properly considered it, I don't think I could be in there long

• 1 month later...

Drove up for an interview at the hospital yesterday went well.  Fingers crossed that I get it.  

Also had a walk around Narborough Road and liked it very much.  Bought plantains, some vaping juice and a jerk chicken wrap from 3 shops who were all friendly.  This is where we'll go if I get the job. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, La-Sayona said:

Drove up for an interview at the hospital yesterday went well.  Fingers crossed that I get it.  

Also had a walk around Narborough Road and liked it very much.  Bought plantains, some vaping juice and a jerk chicken wrap from 3 shops who were all friendly.  This is where we'll go if I get the job. 

I've lived in several properties over the years in the Narb area. Hasn't changed much since I left Leicester a decade ago.

Between Nine and Pi bar and the Braunstone Gate there's a few decent boozers. Mithaas do a really good vegetarian curry for dirt cheap. Golden Spice's chicken kebab used to be THE delicacy after late night exploits and you'd do well to get a better breakfast than at Cafe 210.

32 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ve been to pretty much all the major cities in the UK and I’ve struggled to find a better chicken shop than Maryland, a true Narb Road staple. 

Its a real love have thing Maryland and I get why, but I ****ing love it 

Stockholm syndrome 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, La-Sayona said:

If you go for that area…. Stick with the A47 end of it…. Look for the roads of Hinckley road…. Go as far Harrow Road going out of town…. Nice housing and rent would be around £550-£700 per month dependant on what you’re after (cheaper than Oxford!!)

Good luck !

Ben

• Like 1

On 20/09/2018 at 11:26, Wolfox said:

If you go for that area…. Stick with the A47 end of it…. Look for the roads of Hinckley road…. Go as far Harrow Road going out of town…. Nice housing and rent would be around £550-£700 per month dependant on what you’re after (cheaper than Oxford!!)

Good luck !

Ben

Thanks for the useful info Ben...

• Like 1

It looks like other people have the same idea too. 

"one in 10 homes in Leicester were sold to Londoners in the first half of 2018"

https://www.quittance.co.uk/blog/1-in-10-leicester-properties-sold-to-londoners-in-2018

"Leicester [is a] firm favourite due to the affordability of housing and the quality of local services, including schools and hospitals."

16 minutes ago, La-Sayona said:

https://www.quittance.co.uk/blog/1-in-10-leicester-properties-sold-to-londoners-in-2018

"Leicester [is a] firm favourite due to the affordability of housing and the quality of local services, including schools and hospitals."

Rich people buying up houses orrrr more soon to be london plastics occasionally supporting city until their team strolls into the kp.

8 hours ago, La-Sayona said:

Good luck with the move,Leicester's not a bad choice(been here since birth,nearly 50 years).Cant wait for the regaatuation and rum or what ever its called round your new place!

• Like 1