Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

24 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Bloody hell, imagine doing that these days, you'd be arrested.

We had a metalwork teacher at high school (Mr Greatorex?) who would prowl around the classroom carrying a metal ruler. If we pissed about he'd whack us over the knuckles with it when we least expected it. Proper bled and hurt but never gave it a second thought. Fair to say he kept pretty good discipline in his class (unlike Mrs Smalley in RE who frequently hid herself in the cupboard when we kicked off :D)

Must have been a thing with metalwork teachers. We had one,  Hutchinson by name, used to do the same thing - though usually on the palm. Hurt like hell. 

But one day he did it to the wrong lad, a kid from the Monsell, who promptly stuck the nut on him. 

He got away with it too. Maybe Hutch was too embarrassed to report it, but nothing came of it. Whatever - the sadistic sod kept his ruler to himself after that. 

6 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Must have been a thing with metalwork teachers. We had one,  Hutchinson by name, used to do the same thing - though usually on the palm. Hurt like hell. 

But one day he did it to the wrong lad, a kid from the Monsell, who promptly stuck the nut on him. 

He got away with it too. Maybe Hutch was too embarrassed to report it, but nothing came of it. Whatever - the sadistic sod kept his ruler to himself after that. 

We had a teacher who stabbed at you with this long cane ..  he was a real bully and quite unnecessarily nasty ..  roll forward a few years and I’m sat drinking in the pub with a few mates and in he walks ..  selling sea food from this tray thing hanging round his neck ..  I beckoned him over ..  oh revenge can be so sweet !! .. :)

59 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

We must have gone to the same school. Can't be 2 metalwork teachers called Hutch. He never caned me, so I must have known him after the said incident. What luck! 

15 minutes ago, enmac said:

We must have gone to the same school. Can't be 2 metalwork teachers called Hutch. He never caned me, so I must have known him after the said incident. What luck! 

This is City Boys' I'm talking about. The incident referred to would be maybe 71, round there. 

Think it modified his outlook somewhat. 

Seem to remember he spent a lot of time running some kind of business (scrap metal?) from the wood/metal work room. Him and Jock,  the cigar - smoking sports bloke were in it together I think. 

Didn't have much to do with him after the nutting episode. 

8 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

This is City Boys' I'm talking about. The incident referred to would be maybe 71, round there. 

Think it modified his outlook somewhat. 

Seem to remember he spent a lot of time running some kind of business (scrap metal?) from the wood/metal work room. Him and Jock,  the cigar - smoking sports bloke were in it together I think. 

Didn't have much to do with him after the nutting episode. 

I was there from 67, but I only did metalwork in the first year. I thought Jock Gilman sold cars from his office. But scrap metal and cars go together I suppose. What a pair. Unsavoury characters. Can you remember the lad involved in the incident? Would have loved to have seen it. 

3 minutes ago, enmac said:

I was there from 67, but I only did metalwork in the first year. I thought Jock Gilman sold cars from his office. But scrap metal and cars go together I suppose. What a pair. Unsavoury characters. Can you remember the lad involved in the incident? Would have loved to have seen it. 

This must be the same one, surely? City boys used to be on Humberstone Gate, didn't it? 

Jock Gilman and Hoppy Bufton.  I can confirm that Jock was a partner in his brother's second-hand car business, on Humberstone Gate near The Fountain pub.  As I waited for theNo 37 bus at lunchtimes I would see him manning the stock.

Got it from here:

http://cbs-newsletters.blogspot.com/2014/01/

1 minute ago, enmac said:

I remember the name alright, I was there when it happened. But don't feel I should repeat it. Not that it can really matter anymore - imagine Hutchinson would be long gone by now - but natural caution precludes. 

I'm a bit older than you, but we seem to have been there at about the same time. 

Not a period I recall with any fondness - I detested the place pretty thoroughly I must say. A problematic relationship with Ernie Bell didn’t help matters. Got nothing out of the place and was delighted to leave. 

30 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I remember the name alright, I was there when it happened. But don't feel I should repeat it. Not that it can really matter anymore - imagine Hutchinson would be long gone by now - but natural caution precludes. 

I'm a bit older than you, but we seem to have been there at about the same time. 

Not a period I recall with any fondness - I detested the place pretty thoroughly I must say. A problematic relationship with Ernie Bell didn’t help matters. Got nothing out of the place and was delighted to leave. 

That makes sense. I never took to the place either. Certainly glad to leave. Went to a wake a few years ago for a friend who also went there. Met about 10 others who were there at the same time as me. They mostly felt the same as us. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, enmac said:

This must be the same one, surely? City boys used to be on Humberstone Gate, didn't it? 

Jock Gilman and Hoppy Bufton.  I can confirm that Jock was a partner in his brother's second-hand car business, on Humberstone Gate near The Fountain pub.  As I waited for theNo 37 bus at lunchtimes I would see him manning the stock.

Got it from here:

http://cbs-newsletters.blogspot.com/2014/01/

Blimey! Just clicked on the link and saw the old Wyvernian stuff going on at length. 

As my reaction to the place could be summed up in a couple of words - predictably profane - I don't think I'll be adding to it any time soon. 

All I ever saw of Jock was his arm (accompanied by clouds of cigar-smoke) emerging from his office and releasing a football for us goons to kick about. 

Thought it was pretty funny actually. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

The pop deliveries

Old Corona pop lorry | Childhood memories 70s, Old lorries, Childhood  memories

The P registration suggests circa 1975 for this truck but I'm sure they were delivering for years before that.

Can remember the local yoof  sticking fireworks in bottles in the crates when they were left out for the Corona man. lol

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The pop deliveries

The P registration suggests circa 1975 for this truck but I'm sure they were delivering for years before that.

My first experience of peer pressure.

All my mates seemed to have the Corona pop man, we had Alpine.

Some mates would say Alpine is rubbish, can't you afford Corona?

I have no idea which, if either, was better and/or cheaper but I'm pretty certain I asked my parents to swop.

Queens Rd, Dandelion and Burdock.

A school friend convinced me his Dad managed the  place and took me into this office and then helped ourselves to the pop. I found out later he was lying. I think I was only about 9 certainly in Junior School.

image.png

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

A school friend convinced me his Dad managed the  place and took me into this office and then helped ourselves to the pop. I found out later he was lying. I think I was only about 9 certainly in Junior School.

image.png

27 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The pop deliveries

We had Corona around that time as our next door neighbour, who was also a teacher, had a round. 

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

image.png

If we ever went to the pub/wmc as kids it was always hoyes pop. 

• Like 1

I wasn't allowed to play out on sundays. Would have perhaps understandable had my parents been fervent Christians. But they weren't. Weddings and funerals was the most they ever went to church.  I wasnt even christened, ffs. But Sundays were off limits for fun

The irish Eurovision bird Dana in the mornings. Weekend World. Ski Sunday. Songs of praise. Last of the summer wine. Bed. My childhood sundays were an absolute blast.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The irish Eurovision bird Dana in the mornings. Weekend World. Ski Sunday. Songs of praise. Bullseye, Last of the summer wine. Bed. My childhood sundays were an absolute blast.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I wasn't allowed to play out on sundays. Would have perhaps understandable had my parents been fervent Christians. But they weren't. Weddings and funerals was the most they ever went to church.  I wasnt even christened, ffs. But Sundays were off limits for fun

The irish Eurovision bird Dana in the mornings. Weekend World. Ski Sunday. Songs of praise. Last of the summer wine. Bed. My childhood sundays were an absolute blast.

Wasn’t allowed books with pictures in on sundays and had to spend time reading.

5 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Blimey! Just clicked on the link and saw the old Wyvernian stuff going on at length. 

As my reaction to the place could be summed up in a couple of words - predictably profane - I don't think I'll be adding to it any time soon. 

All I ever saw of Jock was his arm (accompanied by clouds of cigar-smoke) emerging from his office and releasing a football for us goons to kick about. 

Thought it was pretty funny actually. 

His PE lesson consisted of picking up a football and kicking it up in the air down the pitch. He would then retire to his office. Can't remember well, but he must have blown his whistle after about 40 minutes and tell us to come back in. Talk about cushy.