Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

We had a metalwork teacher at high school (Mr Greatorex?) who would prowl around the classroom carrying a metal ruler. If we pissed about he'd whack us over the knuckles with it when we least expected it. Proper bled and hurt but never gave it a second thought. Fair to say he kept pretty good discipline in his class (unlike Mrs Smalley in RE who frequently hid herself in the cupboard when we kicked off :D)

Who was the RE teacher at LGS mate? Welsh woman. Bit of a unit. Was quite pleasant for a teacher but would slam book on the desk and shit us all up when we didn't pay attention.

33 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Home computers having 128kb of RAM and operating systems being a futuristic idea. 

I was about to say I can remember home computers having 1kb of RAM, but that would probably lead to someone saying they could remember when computers were a mechanical contraption consisting of a series of electrically controlled wheels and the size of a room, so I'll keep that to myself

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I was about to say I can remember home computers having 1kb of RAM, but that would probably lead to someone saying they could remember when computers were a mechanical contraption consisting of a series of electrically controlled wheels and the size of a room, so I'll keep that to myself

Nah.

Zero RAM, could fit in a suitcase:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56377567

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Who was the RE teacher at LGS mate? Welsh woman. Bit of a unit. Was quite pleasant for a teacher but would slam book on the desk and shit us all up when we didn't pay attention.

I can't remember mate! For some reason I recall teachers at the High School more than the Grammar. Probably because I was mainly bunking off/smoking weed and generally not there very much :D

19 hours ago, Izzy said:

Bloody hell, imagine doing that these days, you'd be arrested.

We had a metalwork teacher at high school (Mr Greatorex?) who would prowl around the classroom carrying a metal ruler. If we pissed about he'd whack us over the knuckles with it when we least expected it. Proper bled and hurt but never gave it a second thought. Fair to say he kept pretty good discipline in his class (unlike Mrs Smalley in RE who frequently hid herself in the cupboard when we kicked off :D)

This was at Lutterworth right?

40 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Mrs Humpfries?

Mrs. Humpfries? What sort of a name is that?! 

I'm now imagining a woman teacher who was "a bit of a unit", resembled the Hunchback of Notre Dame and earned extra cash delivering sacks of frozen chips to the chippy. :D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's right :thumbup:

I was there and had him at a time he couldn't whack kids but he had a proper bully aura about him.

Smalley bless her was a mouse.

Did you ever have the eccentric Science teacher. Believe he was there years but was very poorly.

Edited by SemperEadem

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Mrs. Humpfries? What sort of a name is that?! 

I'm now imagining a woman teacher who was "a bit of a unit", resembled the Hunchback of Notre Dame and earned extra cash delivering sacks of frozen chips to the chippy. :D

Did you get taught by her as well?

Edited by Strokes

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I was there and had him at a time he couldn't whack kids but he had a proper bully aura about him.

Smalley bless her was a mouse.

Did you ever have the eccentric Science teacher. Believe he was there years but was very poorly.

Chemistry teacher - Mr Nolan? Skinny bloke with a beard if I recall. I didn't realise he was poorly, just remember him being a bit of a bastard.

I wonder if we were there at the same time? I was at the High School around '84-86 

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Chemistry teacher - Mr Nolan? Skinny bloke with a beard if I recall. I didn't realise he was poorly, just remember him being a bit of a bastard.

I wonder if we were there at the same time? I was at the High School around '84-86 

Yeah that was him. Rumour was he had poisoned himself somehow.

I was there awhile after that in 03-06. They must have been the old stalwarts then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, enmac said:

His PE lesson consisted of picking up a football and kicking it up in the air down the pitch. He would then retire to his office. Can't remember well, but he must have blown his whistle after about 40 minutes and tell us to come back in. Talk about cushy. 

Pretty much tallies with my recollection. Remember the 2nd hand car thing too. Him and Hutchinson were often ensconced in his office - probably where I got the idea they were in some sort of business together. 

He left the actual instruction to the purple track-suited underlings.

We had a pretty good football team though. 

• Like 1

When teachers were allowed to hit you. I remember I was sat at the back of the music room at Soar Valley, which was massive, I was talking in class, the teacher threw a bit of chalk at me from the front of the room and it hit me smack on the lips. Whatever you thought him as a teacher, I have to admit he had hell of a good arm.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Parafox said:

The pop deliveries

Old Corona pop lorry | Childhood memories 70s, Old lorries, Childhood  memories

The P registration suggests circa 1975 for this truck but I'm sure they were delivering for years before that.

Corona had their depot on Linden Street, close to where I lived. Friutful territory for liberating empties and taking them to the offie for the deposit. Though from memory it was only 2d a bottle (early 60s).Same area as Grattan's, Gent's, Wildt Mellor Bromley Imperial Typewriters etc.

Plenty going on - good place to grow up. 

• Like 3

On 18/03/2021 at 14:23, Webbo said:

When teachers were allowed to hit you. I remember I was sat at the back of the music room at Soar Valley, which was massive, I was talking in class, the teacher threw a bit of chalk at me from the front of the room and it hit me smack on the lips. Whatever you thought him as a teacher, I have to admit he had hell of a good arm.

I remember teachers doing that with board rubbers - though they were lobbed, not thrown full-pelt, given the wooden handle. 

They usually hit their target, as you say, and produced a pleasing cloud of chalk dust on impact (pleasing, so long as it wasn't you)....particularly if the teacher had been using multicolour chalks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I remember teachers doing that with board rubbers - though they were lobbed, not thrown full-pelt, given the wooden handle. 

They usually hit their target, as you say, and produced a pleasing cloud of chalk dust on impact (pleasing, so long as it wasn't you)....particularly if the teacher had been using multicolour chalks.

We had that but also some amenable teachers. A Mr Nobby Clark Geography teacher used to use a giant T-square to whack you across the arse obviously never hurt and did it once with 3 lads at a time, was very funny. Another time he whacked some lad with a cane which was surprising but on the way back to his desk he told the lad he could remove the exercise book from his trousers as he'd need it to finish the lesson.

One of the good guys.

• Haha 1

A memory suggesting that maybe there's been some progress addressing homophobia in schools....

There was a real culture of homophobia at my secondary school (70s boys' grammar). It would've been unthinkable for any boy to openly admit to being gay.

Even teachers sometimes used it as a class control device - making a comment implying that a particular boy might be gay so as to get the class onside through laughter at the victim.

The most notorious incident was at school assembly. Speaking to the whole school, the head gravely announced that there had been a serious incident.

A boy (who he named publicly) had "pretended" to another boy that he was homosexual and the other boy had given him a severe beating.

The head criticised the assault, but made it clear that the really serious crime had been committed by the boy who had "pretended to be homosexual". I never saw that boy at school again.

A few years after I left, I heard via a reliable source (the head of another school, who was friendly with my parents) that my old head had been removed due to beating a boy too severely, although officially he had left on health grounds.

59 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

A memory suggesting that maybe there's been some progress addressing homophobia in schools....

There was a real culture of homophobia at my secondary school (70s boys' grammar). It would've been unthinkable for any boy to openly admit to being gay.

Even teachers sometimes used it as a class control device - making a comment implying that a particular boy might be gay so as to get the class onside through laughter at the victim.

The most notorious incident was at school assembly. Speaking to the whole school, the head gravely announced that there had been a serious incident.

A boy (who he named publicly) had "pretended" to another boy that he was homosexual and the other boy had given him a severe beating.

The head criticised the assault, but made it clear that the really serious crime had been committed by the boy who had "pretended to be homosexual". I never saw that boy at school again.

A few years after I left, I heard via a reliable source (the head of another school, who was friendly with my parents) that my old head had been removed due to beating a boy too severely, although officially he had left on health grounds.

I was assaulted and had my new blazer torn in my 1st year at a secondary Modern School locally known as a Borstal Prep, I had a bit of temper in those day and went a bit looney in retaliation as I knew I'd be in trouble when I got home.  The next morning in front of the whole assembled school the Head Master stood up and identified me as someone who'd had a fit, no mention of the bullying.

Only the 1st years wore uniforms the rest were working their way to a full on Teddy Boy outfit and I got the cane when I got home for having a torn blazer. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/06/2021 at 23:25, don_danbury said:

onken yoghurts with a toy in the middle, sunny delight and all the different flavours(i loved the green one), um bongo and five alive. really miss them old school juices :( 

Um Bongo is still about isn't it?